Let's go the truth on Obama! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-15-2008   #1

conifer, Colorado
Let's go the truth on Obama!

I'll go the truth instead of just negative. Sad that one sentence mentions the fact that John Mcain doesn't ask for any earmarks. Hillary Clinton asked for nearly double Obama. It's kind of convenient if not laughable that Obama decided to ask for none in 2009. Scary that this guy could be President. Notice how the head line is tilted to make Obama look better.

Obama: No earmarks in 2009

By Drew Griffin and Scott Bronstein
CNN

(CNN) -- Last year Sen. Barack Obama, submitted a laundry list of federal funding requests, known as earmarks, to the Senate Appropriations Committee: 112 earmarks totaling more than $330 million in taxpayer funds.
Sen. Barack Obama's staff say he won't request any federal spending earmarks for 2009.

But that was last year.
This year, as the Senate funding request deadline approaches and the final primaries of the Democratic nomination process draw near, Obama's staff told CNN the junior senator from Illinois will request no earmarks for fiscal year 2009.
The dramatic change is in line with a statement Obama issued last month in connection with an amendment calling for a one-year moratorium on earmarks in the Senate.
The amendment, sponsored by federal earmark foe Sen. Jim DeMint, R-South Carolina, was shot down by a vote of 79-21.
"We can no longer accept a process that doles out earmarks based on a member of Congress' seniority, rather than the merit of the project," Obama's statement said.
"The entire earmark process needs to be re-examined and reformed. For that reason, I will be supporting Sen. DeMint's amendment and will not be requesting earmarks this year for Illinois," the statement added.
Don't Miss
Obama signed on as a co-sponsor of the amendment, as did his rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, and the presumptive Republican presidential candidate, Sen. John McCain of Arizona.
McCain does not ask for earmarks. Clinton will still make requests for the coming year, but will limit those earmarks to "the most critical needs for New York and America," according to a statement from her staff.
Clinton previously has not made her earmark requests public. But she added about $2.2 billion into spending bills between 2002 and 2006, according to the watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense.
In the 2008 budget year, Clinton -- by herself or with other lawmakers -- obtained scores of earmarks, according to the group. Those requests amounted to $342 million.
The Senate Appropriations Committee has asked all request be submitted by April 25.E-mail to a friend
All About Barack ObamaU.S. Senate

mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
McCain is the only person in this race who can claim "earmark purity."

There are plenty of arguments pro/con on this topic. Some call it pork, others call it representing your constituents.

I'm with McCain on earmarks. But that's about it.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I'm surprised that people in the west can be entirely against earmarks. Often legislation is written to serve the interests of America's large population centers. Sometimes the interests of a member of congress' contituency are not taken into consideration and must be attached. Environmental concerns, energy concerns, land use, and water rights issues are often added to bills as "pork." It doesn't mean that these things aren't important, it just means that the system needs fixed!

I like the proposed morotorium, and it sounds like Obama is going to participate to see if this can help simplify congressional legislation. I don't see the problem. It's not all pork for profit you know.

P.S. McCain has voted for enough military spending to dwarf Obama's pork spending. That's not a special interest?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
C'mon man don't you know that the Eddy is an ALL Palin ALL the time zone?

A lie about Sarah Palin around here runs half way around the world before the truth has time to lace up it's shoes.
Old 09-16-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
C'mon man don't you know that the Eddy is an ALL Palin ALL the time zone?

A lie about Sarah Palin around here runs half way around the world before the truth has time to lace up it's shoes.
Theo,

Can you give us some examples of "lies" told here about Palin?
Old 09-16-2008   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Theo,

Can you give us some examples of "lies" told here about Palin?
Sure Steve.

Right off the top of my head. She "is a member of the Alaskan Independance Party" with a"penchant for book banning" who "fired an appointee (which is her right) because he refused her demand to fire a state trooper".

Now back to the Barack Obama

Judicial Watch Announces List of Washington’s “Ten Most Wanted Corrupt Politicians” for 2007

Barack Obama finishes #8 right behind #7 Scooter Libby.
Old 09-16-2008   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
There is quite a bit of evidence that backs up all but the Independence party which is the first I have heard of that.
Old 09-16-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Sure Steve.

Right off the top of my head. She "is a member of the Alaskan Independance Party" with a"penchant for book banning" who "fired an appointee (which is her right) because he refused her demand to fire a state trooper".

Now back to the Barack Obama

Judicial Watch Announces List of Washington’s “Ten Most Wanted Corrupt Politicians” for 2007

Barack Obama finishes #8 right behind #7 Scooter Libby.
It has become clear that Palin was not a member of the AIP, just her husband, who is not running for anything. Interesting, Todd Palin IS being subpoened in the "Troopergate" investigation that Palin welcomed but is now stonewalling. I wouldn't call "Troopergate" a lie. The jury's out on whether or not it was an abuse of power. I'll leave that one to the bi-partisan group in Alaska that's investigating her. As to her book banning... true, she only inquired about how to ban books. Of course, she did later fire the librarian to whom she had posed the query. But it was just a coincidence I'm sure.

Ahhh, Judicial Watch... a lovely group. It was nice to see Larry "Toilet Love" Craig above Obama on the list... as well as Rudy "911" Giuliani.
Old 09-16-2008   #9
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
There is quite a bit of evidence that backs up all but the Independence party which is the first I have heard of that.

SNOPES - Banned books? = False

Apparently she is clairvoyant and attempted to ban books that hadn't been published yet.
Old 09-16-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
SNOPES - Banned books? = False

Apparently she is clairvoyant and attempted to ban books that hadn't been published yet.
She's CLAIRVOYANT? Damn, we need a clairvoyant in power. She can anticipate looming threats and use the Bush Doctrine she doesn't know about to crush them!