Lesser of two evils is not a voting strategy - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 10-12-2012   #1

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Lesser of two evils is not a voting strategy

I have to agree with this article, I really like this analogy:

"A whole train of passengers (individually brave enough) will be looted by a few highwaymen, simply because the latter can count on one another, while each passenger fears that if he makes a movement of resistance, he will be shot before any one else backs him up. If we believed that the whole car-full would rise at once with us, we should each severally rise, and train-robbing would never even be attempted. "

The rest of the article is here:

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/10/12/on-wasting-your-vote/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=on-wasting-your-vote

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I have little reason to believe we will all rise at once.

The above scenario doesn't really depict a scenario of 2 evils but one. A two evils scenario is a highwaymen looting a train heading for a cliff. You can jump up and challenge the highwaymen which probably will lead to death or you can just go off the cliff which means almost certain death. I'm not sure where the 3rd party or refraining from voting option comes in in this particular strained analogy.
Old 10-12-2012   #3

Golden, Colorado
The two evils are being robbed or being shot. We pick being robbed because it is preferable to being shot. But if everyone rose up at once, we wouldn't be choosing between the lesser of two evils.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Oh, I'm thick.
Old 10-12-2012   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
I liked the analogy because it describes why people don't want to vote 3rd party.

I was in a hurry and didn't realize the link to the article didn't work, here is more of it:

"Albert Einstein is reputed to have said that the greatest invention in human history was compound interest. I beg to differ. I think itís the ďlesser of two evilsĒ argument. Itís brilliant. Give people two options, neither of which they find appealing, convince them that a third option, a genuinely attractive one, is just not practicable and that they must thus choose between the bad and the worse, and youíll be able to get them to choose something they would never otherwise choose.
You can get people to do anything that way. You start by offering them a choice between something that is just marginally unpleasant and something that is really repellent. Once youíve gotten them to choose the marginally unpleasant, you raise the bar (just a little mind you, you donít want them to catch on to what youíre doing). Now you offer them a choice between something to which they have really strong objections and something that is deeply offensive. Most people, of course, will choose the former, if they think itís either that or the latter. Now you offer people whoíve become inured to living under objectionable conditions a choice between even worse conditions and something that is truly unthinkable. Itís not mystery what they will choose."

This link should work, basically we are damning ourselves by accepting the "lesser of the 2 evils" argument.

If we were willing to stand up together against the new class of train robbers we call political candidates we could actually create change.

On Wasting Your Vote Ľ Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names
Old 10-12-2012   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
The two evils are being robbed or being shot. We pick being robbed because it is preferable to being shot. But if everyone rose up at once, we wouldn't be choosing between the lesser of two evils.
Exactly, by standing up we are no no longer choosing between the evils. We are choosing to risk defeat in hope of actual change and progress, not the marginal change that has been slow to come.
Old 10-12-2012   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
It comes down to who you are voting in locally. That's what will make the most impact. If people are not showing up to vote as in the congressmen that's a problem they need to be withdrawn from there position! You can't get anything done unless the people we elect to do these positions show up and do there job! We rape our veterans and get all hype about the big elections you don't even know shit about the local deusch bags. Gotta control the local happenings if we want any say in the bigger picture with the current form of democracy.

Vote for who think will make the most positive change in your community that all im going to say.
Learn the facts and if people lie to our faces don't vote for them. You can't trust a lier
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #8

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
There's really only one evil national ticket and their names are Romney and Ryan... enough said.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
I disagree.
Old 10-13-2012   #10

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Well.. this is a depressing article, but I think it makes a good point, politicians lie because the majority of Americans want them to lie.

Why we vote for liars | Jack Shafer

I too, wish that our leaders would tell us the whole truth and nothing but the truth and cooperate. That being said, I think the choice between Pioneer in Outsourcing, Romney and Obama is a complete no brainer!!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote