Laptop Recommendations? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-15-2013   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Laptop Recommendations?

Hey Buzzards,

I'm looking for a laptop for work, something that'll run MS Office suite and is somewhat upgradable, preferably with a docking station. Lightweight with a large screen is a bonus.

For under $1,000, hopefully less.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Andy

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have had good luck with computers from Costco in that price range. Great return policy. My latest is a dell and their tech support is awesome.
Old 10-16-2013   #3
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Check out MicroCenter at I-25 & 225. I really don't think you can do better with a local brick an mortar place price-wise. They often beat buying online, have great selection and customer service. Lots of tech geeks there to help you pick a machine, and you should be able to get a screamer for under a grand.

Micro Center Denver/Denver Tech Center
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013   #4
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Bad time to buy a PC, Windows 8 sucks. Buy or build a machine with no OS then find a copy of XP. MS just announced that they won't stop XP support until 2017. If thats not an option find a Win 7 machine and wait to upgrade until they fix the bugs in Win 8.
Good luck
Old 10-16-2013   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Bad time to buy a PC, Windows 8 sucks. Buy or build a machine with no OS then find a copy of XP. MS just announced that they won't stop XP support until 2017. If thats not an option find a Win 7 machine and wait to upgrade until they fix the bugs in Win 8.
Good luck
Yeah, I'm not even looking for Windows 8 - I've heard 8 thrashes your hard drive to a very premature death. Glad to hear about XP, I figure I'll wind up with 7 though. The prospect of getting a blank machine and loading XP does have appeal though.

Thanks,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #6

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
WOW, all the hate for 8. Well the good news is that 8.1 is coming out soon and will act just like 7. It will be a free upgrade (or down grade depending) for windows 8 users. XP is dead! The idea of loading XP service pack ?? on black PC is not well thought out. Considering XP is end of life and scheduled to sunset soon. Plus XP hates 64 bit computers. I have been running 8 for over a year now in a high production enterprise environment and it is rock solid. Just saying.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #7
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I have been running 8 for over a year now in a high production enterprise environment and it is rock solid. Just saying.
Are you running it on a touchscreen interface?
I've only used it on a 32bit laptop that was upgraded from Vista and it was super clunky.
MS seems to alternate good and bad OSs. XP=good, Vista=bad, 7=good, 8=bad, time for a good one.
Old 10-16-2013   #8

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Are you running it on a touchscreen interface?
I've only used it on a 32bit laptop that was upgraded from Vista and it was super clunky.
MS seems to alternate good and bad OSs. XP=good, Vista=bad, 7=good, 8=bad, time for a good one.
Dell OptiPlex 755 and 745. 8 is designed to run 64 bit. One has a touch screen, but I really don't use it. 8 is the first opsys by windows truly designed to run more the 2 gigs of ram and 64 bit. All previous opsys by MS were built on a 32 bit platform and service packs were applied to fake use of more ram and bus size.

I would rate the following

XP = poor opsys would not recommend in todays computing world.
Vista = worthless
7 = still good
8 = rock solid
8.1 = 8 for dummies and solid
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
Laptops & notebooks: Laptop computers, notebook computers - CNET Reviews
Old 10-16-2013   #10
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
As an early adopter of 8 at work I haven't had any issues. Quite frankly I find operating system details increasingly irrelevant as most services move to the cloud. That said on my system (Obscene amounts of ram, SSD, 64 bit intel corei7) it's been fast and reliable. The interface takes a little getting used to, but so does everything. You get over it and on with work in no time. I wouldn't let win8 sway your purchase one way or another. I certainly wouldn't look at anything pre win7 if you are going to run an MS OS.