"Justice" in America - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-18-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
"Justice" in America

About 20 years ago I appeared as a character witness at a detention hearing for the drummer of a band I managed. Jim got caught up in a pretty big cocaine bust, though he played a very minor role in the operation. The judge denied him bail, and he sat in jail until he was ultimately convicted. He ended up doing 10 years in a federal pen. Jim screwed up pretty badly, but he paid an unjustly high price for his mistake.

Fast forward to Bernie Madoff (made-off), scam-artist extraordinaire. Madoff bilked a lot of banks and individuals out of an estimated $50 BILLION. While he awaits trial he has to endure the inconvenience of wearing an electronic ankle bracelet and being under "house arrest." Fortunately for Bernie, he can choose between his oceanfront estate in Montauk, Long Island or his luxury Manhattan apartment for this pre-trial "incarceration"...

Just a reminder that we have a two-tier system of justice: us and them. Your financial status determines which one you get to be.

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Its the golden rule
Old 12-18-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Yep, those with the gold rule...
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008   #4
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I will be interested to see what Madoff's sentence will be. He should never see the light of day again, albeit behind minimum security bars. I think they might just do that to him, actually. He's found himself at the center of the perfect economic storm, and has made some very serious players (i.e. other dudes with gold) look silly. I would expect between the PR consequence of a light sentence (for politicians) and the real damage done to reputations of power-players (his friends he duped on Wall Street), I think Madoff is going to get the book thrown at him. That's a prediction.

Another prediction is that he hangs himself in his home...

There's some talk that Madoff has capitulated so easily because he's trying to protect his sons, who ran this business with him. Watch for that. There's no way that one man could fudge the accounting books on this kind of scheme by himself...

The ripples on Madoff should spread... if it doesn't, you have the real injustice of this prosecution...
Old 12-18-2008   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
I would say the ripples have just reached me. Damn.
Old 12-20-2008   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'd just like to add that two-tier justice represents a particularly troubling problem when it comes to capital punishment, which I see as a serious, serious national moral problem. According to the death penalty information center, 95% of prisoners who receive capital sentences were unable to afford their own attorneys and were instead defended by (frequently grossly inadequate, overworked, underexperienced and unerpaid) public defenders.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote