It's over, Norm, OK? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2009   #1

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It's over, Norm, OK?

Even righty talking head Joe Scarborough thinks it's time for the petulant Norm Coleman to accept his loss to Al Franken.

Quote:
The drumbeat is growing louder for former Minnesota Sen. Norm Coleman to drop his long-shot appeal of the state's prolonged recount.

In the wake of a three-judge panel declaring that Al Franken was the leading vote-getter of the U.S. Senate election, MSNBC's Joe Scarborough offered a preemptive and withering criticism of Coleman's likely appeal of that decision to the state Supreme Court.

"Seriously. Norm, I like you. You lost. Okay," he said. "Can we seat a senator so Amy [Klobuchar] doesn't have to do the job of two Senators? It is seriously not fair to constituents in Minnesota to drag this out any longer. It is over Norm, okay. It is over."

Ouch. Somewhere in the halls of the DSCC, people are cheering.

The problem, of course, is that Coleman has no incentive to drop his appeal at this juncture. His last-ditch effort is being cheered on by Republicans in Washington who are doing whatever they can - politically and financially - to work against the seating of Franken (who would be the 59th caucusing Democrat in the Senate).

"When are Republicans going to give up the ghost on this?" Scarborough asked before his mini diatribe.

Additionally, there has been scant political pressure put on Minnesota's Gov. Tim Pawlenty to actually sign the letter certifying Franken's election. That could change in the wake of Monday night's ruling. In all likelihood, however, Minnesotans will have to wait till the state Supreme Court weighs in.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This continuing saga is really really classless move on the part of the GOP. Its clear that Franken won fair and square. While it might be embarassing that a comedian and self described "infotainer" beat the GOP incumbent, acceptance would really further the GOPs agenda by avoiding a buildup of "you are a group of douchebags" sentiments in the state.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #3

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
This continuing saga is really really classless move on the part of the GOP. Its clear that Franken won fair and square. While it might be embarassing that a comedian and self described "infotainer" beat the GOP incumbent, acceptance would really further the GOPs agenda by avoiding a buildup of "you are a group of douchebags" sentiments in the state.

That whole election was so convoluted...you are embarrassing yourself by calling it "fair and square".

RIP, you are embarrassing yourself by supporting Franken. You start threads about insane Republicans, and then come out in support of this clown?

Of course , nobody has embarrassed themselves as much as Minnesotans.
TimberTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
Its true, the whole election was convoluted. HOWEVER, the evidence at this point clearly shows that Franken won the election. Even the Bush-Gore debacle where Gore ACTUALLY won was resolved faster than this paegant of stupidity. The fact that the GOP and Norm Coleman continue to drag this on with petty legal tactics speaks to a complete lack of class and a complete lack of respect for the process of democratic decision making.

I personally have been very impressed by Franken. He is incredibly articulate and will likely make a very competent senator. If you watch his address to Minnesotans that is on youtube and was broadcast on networks accross the state, he is clearly ready to accept the responsibility attached to being a senator. Furthermore, his continual ability to make Republican pundits look foolish and sometimes outright stupid will serve his party well as it attempts to deal with the general Republican outrage and surprise that they lost after fucking this country over worse than any president since Hoover. Obama has been in office for about 11 weeks now and republicans are already starting tea-bagging parties. If you want to remain politically relevant, adopt some class and drop the absurd 5th grade antics.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #5

Little Village, Colorado
Quote:
RIP, you are embarrassing yourself by supporting Franken. You start threads about insane Republicans, and then come out in support of this clown?
Dear Mr. Troll,

I do support Franken. Besides being a very bright man, he has something that no Republicans have, or can seem to develop: a sense of humor.

Have fun at the teabagging party today. Be sure to choose a hygenic partner if you're the teabag-ee. If you're the teabagger, show some respect to the person delivering the lip service and shower thoroughly.

Cheers!

Riparian
Old 04-15-2009   #6

Florence, Colorado
Quote:
I personally have been very impressed by Franken. He is incredibly articulate and will likely make a very competent senator. Furthermore, his continual ability to make Republican pundits look foolish and sometimes outright stupid will serve his party well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riparian
I do support Franken. Besides being a very bright man, he has something that no Republicans have, or can seem to develop: a sense of humor.
Is that his job in DC? To entertain us? To make the GOP look stupid? Believe me, they don't need any help.

After listening to this clown on the radio for years, he comes across as a temper tantrum prone, angry and very unfunny little crybaby.

Quote:
If you want to remain politically relevant, adopt some class and drop the absurd 5th grade antics.
How do you feel about Code Pink?
Old 04-15-2009   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberTroll View Post
After listening to this clown on the radio for years, he comes across as a temper tantrum prone, angry and very unfunny little crybaby.
So. it's fine to have actors as politicians, but comedians are not smart enough?
Old 04-15-2009   #8

Florence, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
So. it's fine to have actors as politicians, but comedians are not smart enough?
Are you channeling Stuart Smalley?

It has nothing to do with his profession. He is just a jackass. Wait what am I saying? He'll make a GREAT politician!
Old 04-15-2009   #9

The fact that Minnesota clearly elected "Land Slide Al", a political novice, a very progressive liberal and a comedian, over the incumbent Republican, shows how far the Republican party has fallen.

I also think that Minnesota and our nation will be very impressed with Al Franken over the next 6 years and he will easily win re-election. Al has a serious side and is a true policy wonk. I was very impressed with his ability to discuss a wide range of topics with expert knowledge. And if the Republicans can have thieves, liars and perverts in Congress, surely the Democrats are entitled to a comedian! A little humor would be good in the Senate.

Side Note (speaking about how far the Republican party has fallen): Are the Republican party and Fox Noise really holding a "gay" grassroots protest to cut taxes for the wealthest 2% of the US population? Could this be the first gay protest to advocate taking money from all taxpayers and give to the rich? Should I assume the wealthest 2% of the population is gay?
I'm a little confused by all this.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #10

Little Village, Colorado
Quote:
Is that his job in DC? To entertain us? To make the GOP look stupid? Believe me, they don't need any help.
You betcha, he was elected by Minnesotans. It's a different kinda place.

Never listened to Air America, so I don't know if he was funny there or not. Read "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot." Funny as hell, cover-to-cover.