Is it time to legalize drugs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-31-2009   #1
gh

pnw, Colorado
Is it time to legalize drugs?

And to tax them as well...use the money for rehab clinics?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/...ugs/index.html

77 billion swing in revenue.

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
not just for any drug. all drugs are different so there for not all should be legal. because the tax will only go to more and more rehad clinics. because you will have more and more addicts. i vote for a reclassification of the FDA Narcotics list by scientists. than we will see where we should head. first step is a reclassification by a not Nixon clan.

anyever see the gerson's diet movie? about curing many diseases with a proper diet and something about the people who control the prescription drug companies actually work with the FDA. crazy movie only say a clip this last week on it. something we may need to check out. kinda a government conspiracy movie but seriously only in the US where tobacco smoking has known to cause cancer is it still legal. so the generalization of the movie and reality isn't to far off.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
GH,
I'm glad there is somebody in Colorado Springs with borderline sane political views. I've been making this argument for years, and it seems like with the recent recession people are thinking about it more and more. Denver has decriminalized weed, and the New England states are starting to go down the same road.

I see a huge obstacle to its implementation in the law enforcement "industry." How many cops would be out of jobs if suddenly our drug "problem" evaporated? They wan't their $44 Billion and they're willing to perpetuate a myth to keep the government money flowing. The DEA by itself has a budget of $2.41 billion dollars (Drug Enforcement Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which it is using for specifically this purpose. Therefore, with so many people willing to swallow this myth, the drug legalization debate has become a seriously touchy issue that politicans are unwilling to touch, despite the fact that Obama, by himself, could move us significantly towards drug legalization but simply ordering federal agencies to stop enforcing federal drug laws. DEA, poof, gone. In fact, with its budget, the DEA only seized $1.4 billion in drug related assets in 2005 and less than $477 million in actual drugs. Given that the illegal drug industry is estimated to be worth $64 billion a year, this represents a less than 1% success rate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_Enforcement_Agency).
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Coming from the Pacific Northwest, the very bread basket so to speak of Meth.

Legalizing say weed and taking all those DEA guys and sicking them on Meth, would not cause us to shorten their budget IMHO.

YOu all may not be aware, but in N. California MJ is basically legal. What is scary about weed is that a lot of people make a bunch of money and have a bunch to lose if they are caught which causes violence. And it will only get worse. So some sort of regulation would be better than the current system.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #5
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I lived in Alaska when "The Devil's Lettuce" was legal.

It was still illegal at that time to buy, sell, or transport, but you could grow up to four ounces for your own personal consumption. If you've ever seen the supreme quality of herb grown in the Matanuska Valley of Alaska four onces is quite a nice crop.....so I've been told.

It was a non issue amongst residents and I never understood the rationale used by the Alaska legislature to recriminalize it.

I'm not in favor of legalizing synthetics.
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
good ol ruderalis stout crop with auto flowering genes and all the sunlight 4 ounces should be substandard. good ol casper island got me a good elbow and half one year a couple years back . but that wasn't ruderalis.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Why yes Mr. Beaver I have been to No. Cal and did happen to notice that MJ was basically decriminalized. I think driving through a town named Weed was my first clue. I also saw that Obama told the Fed's to leave Marijuana laws to the state and halted the Federal raids on Cali. I saw a big thing on the history channel about drug laws. Very interesting stuff. I see another side to this issue. I work for a transportation company and they random drug test. Now you can drink but you cant be drunk on the job. Makes some sense though since we have pilots and a gazillion truck drivers. So lets say MJ was legal, one could smoke on the weekend or while not on pager duty yet just couldnt be stoned at work. I think for most people the threat of losing their job is bigger than a minor criminal charge. Legalizing it would change that.
Old 03-31-2009   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
GH,
I'm glad there is somebody in Colorado Springs with borderline sane political views.
This cracked me up, thanks I needed that today. You know its kinda funny how a town gets type cast by its majority. I was very surprised when we able to get 40% of the vote for Obama in our town and I was surprised to be in Boulder the other day to see a huge ass SUV with a Palin sticker on it. So ya just never know. For my credit I will just say I was here before New Life, FOTF. Now back to the No. Cal comment, when I was there I told a group of people that I was from Colorado Springs and you would have thought I had poop on my face. They were taken aback. Like, quick hide your weed! It was so noticable that I laughed and said I am not a rightie and I am not religous. So then they told me to move out of there but if you hang out with the right people you can make any town ok.
Old 03-31-2009   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
I lived in Alaska when "The Devil's Lettuce" was legal.

It was still illegal at that time to buy, sell, or transport, but you could grow up to four ounces for your own personal consumption. If you've ever seen the supreme quality of herb grown in the Matanuska Valley of Alaska four onces is quite a nice crop.....so I've been told.

It was a non issue amongst residents and I never understood the rationale used by the Alaska legislature to recriminalize it.

I'm not in favor of legalizing synthetics.
I agree with you, Theo. Plants are fine. Except for opium poppies. We don't want to interfere with Afghanistan's only thriving industry.
Old 04-01-2009   #10
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
I agree with you, Theo. Plants are fine. Except for opium poppies. We don't want to interfere with Afghanistan's only thriving industry.
An intersting and disturbing book on the intellectual fraud of todays war on drugs is Jensen-Stevenson's 1990 bestseller, Kiss The Boys Goodbye which details how our intelligence community used the apparatus of the POW/MIA governmental agencies as a cover for the trafficking of opiates from the "Golden Triangle".
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote