Is it possible they got the message? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 12-17-2008   #1
gh

pnw, Colorado
Is it possible they got the message?

Cafferty File: Tell Jack how you really feel Blog Archive - How Can GOP Help Pres.-elect Obama? - Blogs from CNN.com

I really do hope so.

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008   #2
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Gingritch has at least one thing in common with your benificence (i.e. me): He's a student of history, and from the realist perspective. He's quite a smart guy.

If the GOP were interested in leading, they would take his advice: Don't be an obstacle, be an assistant to those good and necessary ideas that this imperiled time require. That's the first step in repairing the Republican brand. "Hey, let's HELP the nation" What a concept...

From there, charismatic leadership can emerge, and around that, good ideas can be articulated that the mostly conservative electorate can go for. Do i think they've gotten the message, the GOP.

Not no, but 'F*** no!"

Remember that the Christianists now rule the GOP. Gingritch has their tacit approval, but not implicit support (Gingritch has a thing for infidelity, divorce, and pr*rn, from what I hear). The Christianists know no compromise, because theirs is a political philosophy built around the concept of biblical infallibility. It's hard to argue rationally with someone who has faith that the intentions of god are completely understandable.

The Holy War within the GOP has yet to begin, and when it does, there's no telling that the Christianists will be evicted. It may be the libertarians and the fiscal conservative/social moderates who lose (the Christianists have more guns and food stockpiled!). There are some disturbing trends about the creep of the Christianists... at least to me.

On another note, Pastor Warren is giving the convocation at Obama's inauguration, and I could not be more disappointed...
Old 12-17-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Newt "I'm an Amphibian" Gingrich is, well, a slimy creature who is most at home wallowing in muck. Remember how he served his first wife with divorce papers while she was in the hospital battling cancer? Very classy!

That said, he actually got it right vis-a-vis the GOP working with Obama. I was astounded. In my mind he's an annoying lower life form who doesn't really play any meaningful role in the food chain. At least carp eat shit on the bottom of the river. Newty mostly just emits it.
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008   #4
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
But DS, didn't the Clinton administration teach us that whatever a person's personal moral failings, they do not invalidate one's successful contributions to We the People...

I cannot excuse Newt's personal failings. Indeed, I would end a friendship with someone if they served their wife such as he did.

But the man understands American politics like few do.
Old 12-18-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Helio - you make a valid point about Newt's moral lapses not nullifying his contributions. And yes, he is a knowledgeable politician. There, I momentarily pulled myself out of the gutter. Now, back to snarkiness!

"Jesse Helms and Newt Gingrich were shaking hands, congratulating themselves on the introduction of an anti-gay bill in Congress. If it passes, they won't be able to shake hands, because it will then be illegal for a prick to touch an asshole."
- Judy Carter

"Newt Gingrich is the most unpopular politician in America. His favorability rating is only four points higher than the Unabomber."
- Al Franken

When Newt was asked, "What should we do about the
homeless?" he replied, "Give the park police more ammo."