pnw, Colorado
IRS scandal?

The IRS scandal unwinds : Columbia Journalism Review

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013   #2
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
It scares the poop out of me, knowing the IRS has and will target groups based on ideology. I mean, what if some wit decides "whitewater" or "Kayak" or "river" deserves scrutiny, cause you know, them river people are a bunch of deviant whack jobs.

*Note to gummit workers; please leave ideology at the time clock and pick it up when you leave at the end of the day.*
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
You didnt read the article.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013   #4
Old Guy in a PFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
You didnt read the article.
Um, yeah I did. Did you get my point?

I don't care who they target; the IRS has no business looking at tax payers based on ideology.
Old 06-27-2013   #5
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
I don't care who they target; the IRS has no business looking at tax payers based on ideology.
No, but they sure as hell DO have business policing applications for tax-exempt status for political activity. And that is what they appear to have been doing, across the ideological board.
Old 06-27-2013   #6
Old Guy in a PFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
No, but they sure as hell DO have business policing applications for tax-exempt status for political activity. And that is what they appear to have been doing, across the ideological board.
No, they do not. They especially should not be looking at tax exempt status based on political activity. They should be evaluating tax exempt status based on regulatory requirements already in place. A political organization meeting those requirements gets tax exempt status.Where is it written in the IRS rules that political organizations can't have non profit tax exempt status?
Old 06-27-2013   #7

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
"Treasury: IRS targeted 292 Tea Party groups, just 6 progressive groups"

C'mon gh open your eyes.

Treasury: IRS targeted 292 Tea Party groups, just 6 progressive groups | WashingtonExaminer.com

You may look the other way now because you are sympathetic to the ideology of the administration in power. There will come a time when the political winds change and the other party will be in power. The precedents set and doors open now will be taken advantage of in the future by an administration you detest. Then it will be too late to protest. Tolerate this behavior today and tomorrow it gets worse. The federal government is totally out of control and needs to be put back in the box.
Trout Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #8
Old Guy in a PFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Hunter View Post
"Treasury: IRS targeted 292 Tea Party groups, just 6 progressive groups"

C'mon gh open your eyes.

Treasury: IRS targeted 292 Tea Party groups, just 6 progressive groups | WashingtonExaminer.com

You may look the other way now because you are sympathetic to the ideology of the administration in power. There will come a time when the political winds change and the other party will be in power. The precedents set and doors open now will be taken advantage of in the future by an administration you detest. Then it will be too late to protest. Tolerate this behavior today and tomorrow it gets worse. The federal government is totally out of control and needs to be put back in the box.
+1

Today, we skewer our opponents with unfair tactics and nefarious schemes.
Tomorrow, we find ourselves outraged that some one else would dare employ unfair tactics and nefarious schemes to skewer us.
Old 06-28-2013   #9
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
No, they do not. They especially should not be looking at tax exempt status based on political activity. They should be evaluating tax exempt status based on regulatory requirements already in place. A political organization meeting those requirements gets tax exempt status.Where is it written in the IRS rules that political organizations can't have non profit tax exempt status?
Where? In Section 501(c)(4) of the United States Internal Revenue Code--the section under which they are claiming tax exempt status as "social welfare" organizations.

Quote:
Reg.  1.501(c)(4)-1(a)(2)(ii) provides that the promotion of social welfare does not include direct or indirect participation in political campaigns on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office. Thus, an organization exempt under IRC 501(c)(4) may engage in political campaign activities if those activities are not the organization's primary activity. In contrast, organizations exempt under IRC 501(c)(3) are absolutely prohibited from engaging in political activities (and may, in addition, be subject to tax under IRC 4955 if they make any "political expenditures").
It goes on from there. At length. Now, you can argue these teabaggers are in fact a "social welfare organization", and they appear to have successfully done so, but the fact of the matter is that it's the IRS' job to ensure that organizations applying for tax exempt status conform to the statute.
Old 06-28-2013   #10
Old Guy in a PFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Where? In Section 501(c)(4) of the United States Internal Revenue Code--the section under which they are claiming tax exempt status as "social welfare" organizations.

It goes on from there. At length. Now, you can argue these teabaggers are in fact a "social welfare organization", and they appear to have successfully done so, but the fact of the matter is that it's the IRS' job to ensure that organizations applying for tax exempt status conform to the statute.
Did you READ the entire thing? A political organization may or may not be taxable, and even if taxable, most of it's expenses are not taxed if they fall into the "social welfare" or "Public benefit" exclusions. All 40 plus pages of IRS regulations, plus God knows how many rulings, come down to a simple fact; a political organization is at worst taxed only minimally, for well defined activities that are easily avoided. The IRS hunt based on ideology ("tea baggers" OR "progressives") could not be justified by any of those regulations, rulings, or legal opinions. There was never any argument that these were political organizations of one sort or another. The IRS did not need to concern itself with the ideology of the organization; only the question of which exempt status applied, and to what parts of the organization. Not even a government minion needs to know if the organizations supports or opposes Gay Marriage, Tax breaks for the rich, or right to life issues to determine if the organization qualifies for exempt status and under which sections of the code.

The point is, you can howl about those evil tea baggers, and the schemes those rascals cook up, but when a government agency......any government agency.........starts using it's regulatory or legal authority to focus on individuals or organizations based on ideology we all ought to jump up and get all kinds of indignant.

Arguing about how justified the illegal acts are because the target happens to be an ideology we find repugnant just proves that the political Public Relations hacks have done a very good job of creating a "we VS them" mentality in the public. See, they know, that mentality closes off meaningful debate, creates a smoke screen they and their opponents use to hide their skulduggery and creates meaningless distinctions between the parties.

The Publicans and Dummycrats are so much alike, when you strip away all the rhetoric, that meaningful debate and real options for diversity in the political process are all but non existent.

Those gas bags created a medicine show we all stared agog at and while we were being entertained the rascals picked our pockets.

And now, they are sneaking up on us getting ready to enslave us.

In the name of "national security"