In Stream Rec. Diversions - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-04-2012   #1
don't bogart that

Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
In Stream Rec. Diversions

Drought years always have a plan on administering of water rights for all municipalities, They have basically two types of water that they use. The first is the river water (CFS) that flows to them based on prioritized rights. First in use first in right, with proof of beneficial use. Then they have the storage rights(acre ft) which is stored in lakes and dams and is used to supplement the river water. Large Ditch companies will also have plans on when they are going to take their water. I am going to do research in my area and place links here so we can start to see how the large water users are going to play out next year. Call your local offices and get on their e-mail lists

rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012   #2
don't bogart that

Animas River

http://www.durangogov.org/DocumentCenter/View/71
Old 12-04-2012   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Colorado water rights are an extremely complicated issue. There are lawyers who dedicate their entire lives to this topic.... there is a small group of boaters on the Ark who pay very close attention to the water usage and administration around here. It is interesting stuff to say the least.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012   #4
don't bogart that

What i'm getting at

Our flow windows may be small next year, with a little research we may be able to plan better for activities. I know Pueblo water works runs the Ark in some respects, would it be nice to know how they are going to administer the river next year. Same with Denver water. Are they going to run a trickle all summer or a few big flows or one big with a trickle? Water managers around the State are trying to come up with these plans right now, or at least putting the tweek on current plans. Around the four corners we are dry and all dams are holding everything. The Pine river drys up in places between Valliecito and Navajo.
Old 12-04-2012   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Water management.

Another example is the Rio Chama in NM.
Minimal releases during the spring run-off, then marginal weekend releases through the summer. Now after October at 50cfs, the release has been steady above 450 for most of Nov and Dec. Probably driven by the need to prevent evaporation in lower elevation storage at Elephant Butte lake, so Texas still gets their allocation.
Our peak flow of the Rio Grand here in Albuquerque is not naturally Nov.
Water is the most valuable commodity in the SW and the players seem to just turn the valves according to obscure treaties or the latest 12-step politcal plan. Just a rant...

"Get on it! when and where you can." Rojo
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #6

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Albuquerque stretch of Rio Grande

The Rio Grande vison as presented by the city of Albuquerque :

http://www.riograndevision.com/wp-co...rt-low-res.pdf

Another round of meetings tonight and tommorrow night:
News & Events Ľ ABQ The Plan: The Rio Grande Vision
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
For Colorado, a good source of general information is the Colorado Foundation for Water Education - they have a couple good "citizen guides" on water rights. For understanding the local scene, the Basin Roundtables are a good source of info - pretty much anyone dealing with water shows up at those meetings. You can find out when your Basin Roundtable meets and who's involved on the Colorado Water Conservation Board website. I wouldn't say large ditch companies "have plans" about when they are going to take water - they take their water when it is in priority. Water is the most valuable resource and its management is shaped by past institutions created in a different time and subject to a whole host of competing interests today.
ukonom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm a little confused about what you are asking.

I don't think water managers are building plans right now for how to operate next year, as in my experience, they are all waiting to see what the snowpack will do first. Water managers are probably biting thier nails praying for snow to stave off what could be back to back drought years. They are probably doing some drought planning contingency work.

Denver Water typically releases a plan summary mid May for runoff operations, after they have had a chance to see what peak snowpack is, and run some simulations and number crunching on reservoir levels, demand, forecast runoff etc.

Pray for snow!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
The BOR, Pueblo Water, Aurora Water, Colorado Springs Utilities, BLM and AHRA, in combination with the citizens task force are going to take a look at the release/augmentation program for the Ark next month to see if they can make changes that are mutually beneficial to all parties involved (especially commercial rafting). If you have anything useful to contribute, or just want to be present to voice potential concerns, you should plan to come to the AHRA's CTF meeting January 17th at 930 am at the Bank of the West in downtown Salida.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #10
don't bogart that

Great info

Rojo, Do you attend these meetings? didn't even think about Texas water rights impacting El Vado. You know we have the Chama diversion that moves water from the East fork of the San Juan your way.
Imyers, I am putting that meeting on my calendar, I want to know how Aurora moved water from Rocky Ford? or at least be present in discussion.
Ukonom, I was reading my latest edition of Headwaters magazine from the State, and that was kind of the reason for this thread. So many are impacted and getting a boater/voter voice in these discussions will help balance out Municipal, Agricultural and Recreational need.