I pay too little taxes - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2014   #1

I pay too little taxes

I did my taxes for 2013 and only had about $700,000 of income rather than the usual 7 figures. (See my posts from the last years.)

Even though it was a hard year, I still think I paid too little in taxes, only about $150,000. It's only 21%. (In Germany, I would pay 45%) I earn my money fairly (scientist & company owner) and I worked real hard in school, but I still think I am lucky because I am in such a good spot in our society.

Yes, I am definitely part of the 1%. I think people who vote Republican are such suckers. It is amazing what a few talking heads on Fox can do.

See you on the river. Hopefully I'll have a beer for you.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014   #2

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It better be a microbrew you rich bastard.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Impose a tax on yourself. Just donate to your favorite cause or charity. That way you don't force your peers to pay taxes they don't think are just.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
You can make a voluntary payment to the national debt, basically the same thing. But that's not why you posted that. As per previous Basil based eddy conversations, the point of things like this is not Basil paying more taxes, it empowering Basil and others like him to tax me more against my will. That is fundamentally improper.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #5

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
right, paying taxes should be a personal decision. I can't think of anything wrong with that.

Please explain why you think that paying taxes is "fundamentally improper."
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #6

We rich are all in this together, prospering in this great society. I would feel like a sucker if I paid voluntary taxes and other didn't, like the Koch brothers. Yes, I'm rich, but there are so many people vastly richer than I am.

I do donate significantly to charity other than my church and political causes.

And yes, I only do micro brews.
Old 04-14-2014   #7
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
How silly. Not paying "enough" taxes is wrong, but voluntarily paying taxes others don't would make you feel like a sucker.

I mean, if you are loosing sleep please, don't take sleeping pills. Pay additional taxes voluntarily and maintain your moral high ground.

For me, each year I've totaled all my taxes and calculated the rate. This year it actually dropped a bit, down to 43%.

The reality is, from local to Federal, over 40% of the GDP goes to government.

40%. Think about that for a bit.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
The reality is, from local to Federal, over 40% of the GDP goes to government.

40%. Think about that for a bit.
yeah, yeah, schultzie, living in a civilized country is expensive and takes a big chunk of your income to pave your roads, provide police service, put out the housefire next door before your house burns down, educate those kids down the street, and all that other stuff that you forget your taxes pay for.

we got it pretty good here, maybe you should pull up stakes and go to somalia where you'd get to have your own private security force and enjoy a real free enterprise system where money gets to be free speech until its on the wrong end of the gun. what portion of your income do you think you'd pay there for the things you take for granted here?

now if we just didn't feel like we have to spend more on a military than the next 10 countries combined we'd get a lot less of that chunk taken out and have a much better infrastructure than now.
Old 04-14-2014   #9
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBoater View Post
yeah, yeah, schultzie, living in a civilized country is expensive and takes a big chunk of your income to pave your roads, provide police service, put out the housefire next door before your house burns down, educate those kids down the street, and all that other stuff that you forget your taxes pay for.

we got it pretty good here, maybe you should pull up stakes and go to somalia where you'd get to have your own private security force and enjoy a real free enterprise system where money gets to be free speech until its on the wrong end of the gun. what portion of your income do you think you'd pay there for the things you take for granted here?

now if we just didn't feel like we have to spend more on a military than the next 10 countries combined we'd get a lot less of that chunk taken out and have a much better infrastructure than now.
My point is that in a free and open society these kinds of things need to be challenged on a regular basis. I think 40% is too high, and I think we can cut things like Military spending, and corporate welfare programs, and yes, even public welfare programs.

I haven't forgotten what my taxes pay for. Your "love it or leave it" (pull up stakes and go to Somalia crack) doesn't carry the discussion forward but does show how little you respect diverse opinions.

But then we've been there before, you and I.

Bring it on. I'm in a feisty mood today.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #10

If I add up my taxes: federal, state, property, & sales; I get to about 30%. If you want to add Social Security & Medicare, it's about 33%. If you are paying 40%, you are getting screwed. But then, you aren't the 1%. Property, sales, & FICA taxes aren't much for me.