Hunting Season 2008 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-26-2008   #1

The next zone, .
Hunting Season 2008

Ok the archery Elk and Deer seasons start on Sat the 30th. I know there have to be a few of you that get tired of good old Mickey D's burgers or store processed beef.

So who is hunting and where? There has to be a few buzzers that hunt.

A dislocated sholder (my right for the first time ever) shut down my ability to pull my long bow so I am rehabin 4 times a day.. Then i may be able to pull a compound bow in a couple of weeks. The brother, pops, and uncles are still hunting so I will be able to go with them and call.

My landowner tags did not work out this year so where ever I go it will be over the counter for elk. I drew a deer rifle tag for 49 this year so I guess I will have to dust off the old .308 come Nov.

With the injury about all I can so is hike/scout/glass. Anyone who creeks with me knows that the bino's are in the truck every trip. Right now I scout just abouut every day. Yesterday I saw 32 legal bulls! Friday I will be hikin in 10+ miles to get my pops on a big stinky I have been watchin for a couple of weeks no but we will see how it goes.

Good luck to all who go out. Be safe and shoot straight.

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008   #2

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
1st rifle bull tag in a western slope unit for me. our party has always done very good where we hunt, and hopefully this year will be the same. nothing big usually, but i'm not a horn hunter. i just like the meat.

i didn't draw for deer this year. thought i had enough points in the unit i wanted to hunt, but i guess i needed one or two more.
Old 08-26-2008   #3
sj

Love to hear the stories and eat the game but no longer hunt. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
Medium rare elk tenderloin. Man, that's almost as good as dirty love with a cheerleader....
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Medium rare elk tenderloin. Man, that's almost as good as dirty love with a cheerleader....
You have a point there... I will have to add a cheerleader to the list of shit I have to take this weekend...

Yes, will be mothballing the boats for a month of archery hunting for elk, deer and bear in the beautiful state we live in. Will bring some deer jerky on the river next season for whoever wants some!
WestSlopeWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #6

Backcountry Archery mission this weekend in the Zirkel Wilderness. Yee ha.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I messed up and didn't apply for a tag on time, so over the counter it will be for me. I do not really care about a trophy bull, any decent cow elk will fill my freezer just fine.

Not sure where I will be hunting yet, I probally will not decide until the time comes around.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #8

The next zone, .
Just a update from the BV hunting camp.

Got my pops in on that bull. 37 yds was a bit too far for a shot. Had a cow and 4 pt bull in yesterday am inside of 30 yards but they winded us just as pops was gettin ready to shoot.

How did the backcountry mt zirkle hunt go?

I am hunting a wilderness area now.. It is great to have so many close to here that are easy to find and accessable. No four wheelers and my 65 year old dad just put 14 miles on his boots yesterday.. All above 11k.. Old guy wore me out this is why I am on the couch instead of in the hills today.

Going in solo this afternoon (I am pulling and shooting my bow now - 6 weeks after dislocation!) to bivy through the weekend or until the storm hits. Got a couple of good bulls scouted out in some country that is beyond horses and where almost no human is willing to go.. If I get one I will have to pack it 6 miles to the closet trail where we can get the horses!

Snow where look into left over cow tags they are on the CDO website. Oct 18th I will be in unit 33 after a young cow or a calf to fill the belly with this year. You can also get one right on the other side of indy pass.. I have gotten more that one cow up there.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #9

the fort, Colorado
anyone have updates on archery season successes/misses? ryguy, how was the zirkel experience? thinking about switching to that part of the state for next year.
Old 09-26-2008   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
elk stek fer breakfast

dun got me sum on sunday-5yds, duble lung pass tru. oh yeah top pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5000691.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	836.3 KB
ID:	731  
thefreshpimpofbigair is offline   Reply With Quote