Home office printer recommendations needed - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 03-31-2013   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Home office printer recommendations needed

I'm on the market for a home office printer / scanner that'll do mostly B&W printing and that is relatively quiet, and won't cost me a fortune for cartridges, or will have easily refillable cartridges.

[EDIT] - And very little (if any) photo printing.

Anyone in the Buzz Tribe have a good suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

-AH

On the topic, just for reading this post, here's a bonus "inspired" review/rant of the Kodak ESP 2170 All-in-One printer:

Quote:
The Kodak ESP 2170 All-in-One is basically a toner marketing device that Kodak gets you to pay for upfront, then keep paying for cartridges for down the road. It prints and scans just fine, however this thing burns through at least twice as many of it's supposedly "low-cost" non-refillable cartridges as my old HP did. Worst of all, once it decides ink is low, it shuts down ALL printing functions. So you can't just get by with slightly faded docs until you get to the store for more ink, you gotta have an extra cartridge in the drawer or get to the store NOW if you want to print.

The black cartridge promos say they'll print 300+ pages. Yeah, right. Maybe if each page has one letter on it....

I will never buy another Kodak printer and you will find mine on CL soon because I'm unloading this turkey for cheap ASAP.

Also, at seemingly random times and without warning, it'll also go through about a half minute of loud whirring, buzzing, and cranking noises. Every time I call a client I pray it doesn't start this crap while I'm on the phone...

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I got a screaming deal on a big 11 x 17 brother printer a few years back. The color printing is poor, but it is nice and quiet. Quiet seems to come at the price of speed. It doesn't seem too bad on ink either, however I don't use it a lot. I still use my hated hp most of the time, because of color quality and speed.
Old 01-05-2015   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Bump - I've made it another year with this POS printer and now the scanner is screwing up.

Any recommendations welcome!

Note - Kodak upgraded their firmware so you can continue to print after the warning comes up, and I can continue to print for at least a week or two on the same cartridge that's supposedly low enough that the printer would previously shut down for.

Thanks!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015   #4

cedar city, Utah
Too funny on the timing. My wife and I had to work real hard not to throw our printer out the window this weekend. So.....do not buy the Epson XP-400. If I had known Epson cartridges would dry out so easily I would not have purchased the piece of junk. I will be buying a laser jet when we finally decide to upgrade.

For now we have an acceptable scanner.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #5

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I have a Brother laser printer/scanner. Not real quiet, but it's worked well for a couple of years. I think it was something like $100 -150 or so. I'm satisfied with the life and expense of the ink toner cartridge.

One example, may not be specifically what I have:

Brother DCP L2520DW Laser Multifunction Printer Monochrome Plain Paper Print Desktop by Office Depot & OfficeMax
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015   #6
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd go for a toner model. Ink is expensive and dries up before I can use it. When an ink printer decides the color cartridges are spent they refuse to operate until you buy more color cartridges even though you only use black and white. I only need B&W so toner has been great. I have a Brother and have found it to be reliable and cheap to operate. I buy the extended use cartrages.
Old 01-12-2015   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I would avoid Canon. Shot you an email Andy.
Old 01-25-2015   #8

Colo Springs, Colorado
Andy - Did you ever make a choice?
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
When our printer crapped out recently we decided to live without one. Our local library prints for 20 cents a copy and, because I live nearby, it's pretty convenient. I keep a "to print" folder in the cloud and pop in when I need to.They also scan for free. I was hesitant at first, but for the few prints I do each month this has been awesome! No more expensive ink or big, shitty Chinese plastic in the house!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
David,

I went one more go-round with tech support and just after they said the printer had crapped out and was out of warranty, they offered to send me a newer model that takes the same cartridges for only the cost of shipping (est. ~$15). So I'm going to go for that for now and figure if I get a year out of what they send me it'll be worth it and maybe there'll be something better by then.

Randy - thanks for the suggestion on the library but I need a printer/scanner in the house as I'm using it for work all the time.