Hike in fishing trip on Red Rock Canyon Trail of the Gunnison River - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Hike in fishing trip on Red Rock Canyon Trail of the Gunnison River

https://www.nps.gov/blca/planyourvisit/redrockinfo.htm

Got a permit. Anyone have experience hiking and fishing this stretch in mid-July?

fishingraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #2

summit, Colorado
Ooft - that's gonna be HOT! Plan to hike in and out EARLY!!!!!! I did a June 20-ish trip a few years ago trying to hit the salmonfly hatch, and ended up sleeping half the time. Partly because it was about 100 degrees in the shade, and partly because the river was running 9000 cfs, and fishing was a little tough with those flows! Couldn't even sit in the river to cool down because there weren't any eddies. I'm guessing it'll be just as hot, if not hotter, in July, but hopefully the flows will have ramped down by then. My other two trips have been in September, and it's been FANTASTIC fishing. My only warning (besides the heat) is about the poison ivy. No joke - it's everywhere. The camps are mostly free of it, but it's pretty prevalent everywhere else. Almost unavoidable on the hike up and down the canyon. Down in the canyon itself it's all over too, but you can at least go around it.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by basinrafter View Post
Ooft - that's gonna be HOT! Plan to hike in and out EARLY!!!!!! I did a June 20-ish trip a few years ago trying to hit the salmonfly hatch, and ended up sleeping half the time. Partly because it was about 100 degrees in the shade, and partly because the river was running 9000 cfs, and fishing was a little tough with those flows! Couldn't even sit in the river to cool down because there weren't any eddies. I'm guessing it'll be just as hot, if not hotter, in July, but hopefully the flows will have ramped down by then. My other two trips have been in September, and it's been FANTASTIC fishing. My only warning (besides the heat) is about the poison ivy. No joke - it's everywhere. The camps are mostly free of it, but it's pretty prevalent everywhere else. Almost unavoidable on the hike up and down the canyon. Down in the canyon itself it's all over too, but you can at least go around it.
Good lord. I can't believe you even attempted to fish at 9k cfs. I went down the Chukar Trail at 10K and it was GC-sized water. If it's that high, I'll probably cancel my permit. Thanks for the tips! That ivy sounds brutal. I'm not easily affected by it, but I'll be sure to warn my trip partners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #4

summit, Colorado
Yeah....I'm kinda dumb like that. But it was my birthday....and I had the permit.....figured if nothing else it would be a nice backpacking trip! It's just gorgeous down there. We did manage to catch 3 or 4 fish, but I'm pretty sure they just happened to run into our flies rather than actually eating them
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I don't know if this will help, we did not use Red Rock Canyon Trail. This was August 1978 after archery hunting in Montrose we stopped in a parking lot on the south rim and spotted somewhat of a trail. It was steep, deep and a lot of poisonous ivy, along with a black and yellow spider about the size of a silver dollar. About two 2 1/2 hours down and 5 hours back up. Fishing was great, nice size browns and rainbows, we only ended up with about 75 yards of shore to fish because we were cliffed out on both sides, river was running deep with a fast current right up to the bank. We ended up with substantial canyon crash on our hands, elbows, knees and ass, along with blisters on our feet. I would recommend gloves and a sturdy rod tube to protect your pole. Catch some fish.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Monument, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I used to go down Red Rocks before it went to permit. My Dad knew the landowners and they let us cross their property to access the trail.
The trail down gets hot in the summer as others have mentioned, and the poison Ivy is bad along the lower trail and in the canyon. The cheat grass at times can be bad on the upper trail. I wore long socks on the start and kept some lightweight pants available in my pack to throw on when the Ivy starts to show up. If your really allergic or paranoid maybe a thin long sleeve shirt too. At the river, I washed the pants in hopes to clean any Ivy oils.

We still regularly go into the canyon..but in different locations. We floated past redrocks last year and stopped to fish a bit

OP...Have you ever been in the Canyon Before?
stelz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Week Ago   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelz View Post
I used to go down Red Rocks before it went to permit. My Dad knew the landowners and they let us cross their property to access the trail.
The trail down gets hot in the summer as others have mentioned, and the poison Ivy is bad along the lower trail and in the canyon. The cheat grass at times can be bad on the upper trail. I wore long socks on the start and kept some lightweight pants available in my pack to throw on when the Ivy starts to show up. If your really allergic or paranoid maybe a thin long sleeve shirt too. At the river, I washed the pants in hopes to clean any Ivy oils.

We still regularly go into the canyon..but in different locations. We floated past redrocks last year and stopped to fish a bit

OP...Have you ever been in the Canyon Before?
Good advice, thank you. I have never been in the canyon. Been to the rim. Hiked the Chukar trail (and saw the poison ivy trees). I'm not affected much by heat or ivy, I regularly work in/around both on the river. I'll bring some hiking shoes for the trail and rinse off at the bottom. Hoping for good water levels to get into some serious fish. This hike has been a dream of mine for a few years, stoked to have finally landed a permit. Thanks all for your advice!