Hate speech should be illegal - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-17-2012   #1

Hate speech should be illegal

I'm sure this topic will inspire rebutall from both right and left, but so be it. The US is one of the only developed countries not to prohibit hate speech towards protected groups. Note: the government is defintiely not a protected group. I think the idiots inciting religious fervor should be stopped, and the way to do it is with hate speech laws. The gay bashers also should be stopped. Bigotry is still in need of better containement.

I'm sure folks will jump my shit, because of the obvious need to distinguish between 1st amendment protections of free speech and hate speech. A law prohibiting hate speech will move these decisions into our legal system, rather than having our 1st amendment rights protecting the haters. Also, bear in mind we already have laws against use of fighting words, defamation and inciting riots, and hate speech would be similar to these. If there are problems that these existing laws limiting free speech have, then I am not aware of them.

jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012   #2

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I will bite on this one. I completely disagree with you. I think people should be able to voice whatever views they have, and limiting that with "hate speech" legislation is starting down a slippery slope. Hell, even the ACLU has backed the Klan's right to march and pick up trash along a highway (two separate cases). As far as this new anti muslim movie goes, It seems to me that the muslim world today is a tinderbox awaiting a match. Personally I think (radical muslims) they need a little more tolerance of other religious views. I cannot fathom getting so worked up over some BS movie, and I would bet a lot of people rioting have not even seen the movie and have jumped on the anti US bandwagon.

I am not sure I back hate crime legislation either. If someone does something vile like killing another person, I really don't care what their motivation was. Murder is murder, and I am not sure I can back additional sentencing due to that person's screwed up beliefs. I am sure this will be contentious. Flame away
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #3

Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I agree.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
As far as this new anti muslim movie goes, It seems to me that the muslim world today is a tinderbox awaiting a match. Personally I think (radical muslims) they need a little more tolerance of other religious views. I cannot fathom getting so worked up over some BS movie, and I would bet a lot of people rioting have not even seen the movie and have jumped on the anti US bandwagon.
I agree with most of what you say about free speech. However, I wonder if you've thought a little deeper as to why Muslims are so angry with the US. The countries rioting happen to have a lot of innocent men, women and children who have been slaughtered by US bombs dropped by the US, or dictators who happened to have been supported and armed by the US.

I personally don't think the riots had much to do with the video, rather I think it is part of the framed narrative that US imperialists want their gullible, tax-paying citizens to believe. The why do they hate us narrative, and the lack of US citizens honestly trying to answer that question, has worked so well for the US imperialists for the past 11 years. Why not continue on with the facade?

Anti-western violence gripping the Arab world has little to do with a film

US media angrily marvels at the lack of Muslim gratitude
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #5

Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? (Matthew 7:3) You can look outside the US (perhaps at the Muslim world) or you can look within. We have much greater ability to change the US than we do other nations. We have our own problems with religious fanatisism, homophobia and bigotry that are growing. Terry Jones should be prosecuted, but we have no laws to do it.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #6

Bozeman, Montana
You belong in the middle east. People are who they are. Your hate is as bad as his. You are intolerable. Here try this forget about it. Move on, I know so tuff
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #7

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think the citizens of this country allow the crazies to be louder and more outspoken - much like the Bertrand Russell quote of "the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"

We need to out voice the nut-bags out there protesting gay rights, abortion and other insane religious issues.

So I guess what I'm saying is we don't need hate-speech laws, just more people to stand up for tolerance.
Old 09-18-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Of course the problem with legislating hate speech is who gets to decide what qualifies as "hate speech". If someone speaks out against those "Commie Liberals" or those "Facist Conservatives", is that hate speech?
xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
It's a slippery slope, as Xena13 pointed out. If you get a special interest to, say, determine that any dissension against their cause is "hate speech" then you can't criticize under the pretense that criticism is hateful. This was very apparent in Soviet Russia where any dissension against the government was quashed. Protesting Chic-Fil-A might very well turn ugly because you're "hating" a private enterprise and it's social code.

Besides, I want those haters to open their stupid mouths and spew so I know exactly who they are and what they stand for. Driving their rhetoric further underground does us a disservice.

There are laws that handle "actionable" hate speech such that if you incite action then you're liable. Hard to prosecute, yes, but sufficient at this time. Freedom of speech comes at a price but it's a price we must pay if we want to have that freedom.
Old 09-18-2012   #10

Denver, Colorado
If we banned hate speech then we wouldn't get awesome stuff like this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awesome.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	5167  
marko is offline   Reply With Quote