Gun Control Saves Lives - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-20-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Gun Control Saves Lives

Since this has recently become partly an NRA bulletin board, I feel obligated to defend the concept of gun control. The reality is that gun control works by saving lives. The theory is simple. If people don't have access to guns, they have to work alot harder to kill each other. For example, if two equally disgruntled drivers are in a car accident, and they each have guns and suspect that the other does as well, its very easy for a needless firefight to evolve. Essentially, arguments can end in murder alot easier. Without guns, even with knives, murder becomes a far more difficult matter. This theory is borne out in evidence on a massive, massive scale, nationally and internationally. Massachusetts, which has arguably the strictest gun control laws in the country has the second lowest gun death rate per 100,000 people (StateMaster - Firearms Death Rate per 100,000 (most recent) by state). Its also accompanied by other gun control states such as New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The list is topped by Alaska, Wyoming, Louisiana and Arizona, which are not know for their gun control measures. While this could be related to regional cultural differences (South's high murder rate is key factor in why U.S. homicide rate is so high | Jet | Find Articles at BNET)
I personally find the evidence fairly compelling.

The argument of a well armed populace as a defense against tyranny is not applicable to the modern world. The days of the Minutemen have passed. For example, even that assault rifle that some of you insist on keeping in your glove compartment just won't be able to stand up against a robotic plane flying thousands of feet above you that you can't even see.

I expect a fair amount of flak for posting this from some boaters who are to my political right, I felt that some light should be shed on the subject in a more objective (evidence based way). I welcome your comments.

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Sweetie pie, the gun nuts are gonna go apeshit on you! They'll be flamin' you faster than you can say "Brady Bill."
Old 12-20-2008   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
uhuh,engaging in massive gunplay in the home is the best way to protect your family and property, ask Randy Weaver or Koresh.
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008   #4

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
WifeofDurangoSteve, please feel the freedom of expressing your thoughts( enjoy). It is your Right.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
this is the most fucking ridiculous shit i have ever seen on the buzz. you pieces of shit have just ruined what was left of this place.

this is a goddamn kayaking forum, so talk about goddamn kayaking, and if you want to debate fucking politics all day, take you case to andy and make him make you a fucking forum all for yourselves, so you can take your fucking namby pamby husband with you and take your damn politicking elsewhere, im sick of having this shit clutter the main page every god damn day
Old 12-21-2008   #6

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Not Gonna bite this time. You've got one live one on the line though!
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Yeti, I think you know the rules. The Eddy is the place for kayakers to talk about things other than kayaking. Practice some self control and dont read the Eddy for a while or just skip the threads that upset you.....like this one.

Lack of access to anything will lessen its use, that part I agree to but imo guns are a part of our society and will continue to be until we go the way of all past empires. In other words, I will be keeping mine. Thank you.
Old 12-21-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
this is the most fucking ridiculous shit i have ever seen on the buzz. you pieces of shit have just ruined what was left of this place.

this is a goddamn kayaking forum, so talk about goddamn kayaking, and if you want to debate fucking politics all day, take you case to andy and make him make you a fucking forum all for yourselves, so you can take your fucking namby pamby husband with you and take your damn politicking elsewhere, im sick of having this shit clutter the main page every god damn day
Hmmm, sometimes decaf helps temper things.

Recall, if you will, that "The Eddy" is specified for "other chatter." The political rants qualify as "other chatter." Don't like it? Fair enough. Ignore it. That's what I do with FauxNews and other things that annoy me.

The "namby pamby" thang really hurt my feelings. I been called lots of stuff over the years, but this is a first for namby pamby. I am currently snivelling softly to myself... or laughing out loud. You choose, OK?
Old 12-21-2008   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
Hey Wifey.....did you know that they let women own guns too??

Check out this gender specific model....Lady in Name Only

I agree with everyones point of view on this subject......His ...Hers... and theirs!

Merry Christmas!!!!
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #10

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
yeti, you are a disgrace to this forum as a whole; both kayaking and the eddy.

I would much rather read their posts about politics than your posts about anything. You should actually go kayaking for once, instead of just writing idiotic posts year round.