Gun Control Bill - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-22-2009   #1

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Gun Control Bill

OpenCongress - Text of H.R.45 as Introduced in House Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

The really interesting and upsetting portion of this bill is the inspection section. This section allows for the government to come into any home where children live and inspect that home to insure guns are being stored safely. No warrant required. God I love Democrats, keep all your "we know whats better for you" bull comin', midterm elections are on the way! I can't wait!

yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmonymatoid View Post
OpenCongress - Text of H.R.45 as Introduced in House Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

The really interesting and upsetting portion of this bill is the inspection section. This section allows for the government to come into any home where children live and inspect that home to insure guns are being stored safely. No warrant required. God I love Democrats, keep all your "we know whats better for you" bull comin', midterm elections are on the way! I can't wait!
Where is that in the bill? I just read it and found this in regards to inspections:

SEC. 403. INSPECTIONS.

In order to ascertain compliance with this Act, the amendments made by this Act, and the regulations and orders issued under this Act, the Attorney General may, during regular business hours, enter any place in which firearms or firearm products are manufactured, stored, or held, for distribution in commerce, and inspect those areas where the products are so manufactured, stored, or held.

Sounds like inspections of retail establishments, not private homes. Still pretty stinky Constitutionally IMO.

Full text of bill:

GovTrack: H.R. 45: Text of Legislation, Introduced in House

Old 02-22-2009   #3

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmonymatoid View Post
The really interesting and upsetting portion of this bill is the inspection section. This section allows for the government to come into any home where children live and inspect that home to insure guns are being stored safely. No warrant required.
If this is true and it would pass, it would be even worst than Bush's illegal wire taps, but I'll bet a bunch of money it will never pass.
And I also can't wait for then next election as I think the Repubs are continuing to dig themselves into a deeper hole.
rwhyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009   #4

timbuktu, Colorado
The concern is the words "any place"... in which firearm products are stored. I admit it's unclear, but my good friend and attorney read this as it clearly reads "any place". It probably won't go anywhere the way it's currently written, but anyone who cares about privacy should be aware of this attempt.
Old 02-22-2009   #5

timbuktu, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
as I think the Repubs are continuing to dig themselves into a deeper hole.

We will see won't we...
Old 02-22-2009   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
...enter any place in which firearms or firearm products are manufactured, stored, or held, for distribution in commerce, and inspect those areas where the products are so manufactured, stored, or held.
I'm no lawyer, but it appears to be aimed at commercial locations. I agree, however, that this is a 2nd/4th Amendment problem. With all the crap we have going on right now, that this bill even got introduced is amazing.
Old 02-22-2009   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
It'll never make it out of committee. There are far too many Dems that take NRA money too. Until then, GOP'ers will make hay out of it.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
I'm no lawyer, but it appears to be aimed at commercial locations. I agree, however, that this is a 2nd/4th Amendment problem. With all the crap we have going on right now, that this bill even got introduced is amazing.
I agree, the language "during regular business hours" makes that pretty clear. Otherwise, I wonder what are the "regular business hours" of my house? I don't mean to insult the attorney friend, but one attorney an opinion does not make. Still, it is a good point to watch out for, but where's this child thing come into play??
Old 02-23-2009   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
why are they wasting time and money on this? all the guns being shipped to distributers have to be bought with a federally approved license, in the first place.

"change" , just not good "change"!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #10
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
*AHEM*

THIS BILL IS DEAD

PLEASE RESUME NORMAL BREATHING