Old 01-28-2009   #1
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
GOP planning to feast on its own tail

Fascinating from The Atlantic:

28 Jan 2009 11:25 am
The RNC Chair Race: The Missing Issue

An RNC rules maven contacted me with the following perspective on the RNC chair race that might explain some of the behind-the-scenes maneuvering.

It has to do with, natch, the presidential primary calendar.

Republican rules for the first time give the members of the Republican National Committee, by a 2/3 vote, the option of adopting a mandatory 2012 state primary election calendar.

States whose legislatures, which may be controlled by Democrats, refuse to schedule a primary that complies with RNC rules face a draconian choice.

Either their party gives up its presidential primary and instead holds (and pays for) a presidential preference caucus -- or the state suffers a loss of 1/2 of its delegates to the 2012 Convention.

Many party leaders, who, for ideological or personal reasons, prefer a low-participation caucus rather than a higher-participation primary, see this Rule as a great opportunity to transform the party. (It would become more conservative.)

And many party leaders in small states have long resented what they perceive as the excessive influence of the larger number of Republican voters in bigger states and would like to force bigger states toward the end of the primary calendar where their voters might have less influence

So -- the key factor in the RNC race is that the Rule must be presented to the RNC by a drafting committee largely appointed by the RNC Chairman and cannot be amended by the RNC membership.

Thus the new RNC Chairman could wield enormous power over the shape of the 2012 Presidential race and the composition of the 2012 convention which could adopt additional rules that would have even more impact on the future of the party.

My correspondent notes:

"Few have publicly discussed this element of the RNC race but some Chairman candidates are believed to have promised spots on the drafting committee in exchange for votes. And there is some discussion about which candidates are stalking horses for a particular presidential candidate. One question RNC candidates have not been asked, is, to whom have they promised drafting committee spots? Have any candidates promised more appointments to the committee than the number of available spots? And under what conditions would each candidate favor forcing a state to abandon its primary for a caucus, or cut its delegation in half?"
Either of these options could disenfranchise millions Republicans.

Think of this way: many voters, ranging from military personnel fighting overseas to mothers who must stay home to care for children, would likely be disenfranchised by a forced shift from primaries to caucuses, and millions more would be disenfranchised if state convention delegations were cut in half.

My correspondent concludes: "A more basic question might be: Why should the leaders of party which claims to favor federalism and local control want to exercise a power that gives 168 people (actually a 2/3 majority of 112) the right to disenfranchise millions of Republican voters around the country?"

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The author poses this question in his conclusion:
Quote:
"A more basic question might be: Why should the leaders of party which claims to favor federalism and local control want to exercise a power that gives 168 people (actually a 2/3 majority of 112) the right to disenfranchise millions of Republican voters around the country?"

Strange, since they had already answered the question earlier in the article...
Quote:
Many party leaders, who, for ideological or personal reasons, prefer a low-participation caucus rather than a higher-participation primary, see this Rule as a great opportunity to transform the party. (It would become more conservative.)
Old 01-28-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not to mention oppossing Obama's tax cuts that are part of the stimulus plan. When have Republicans EVER oppossed tax cuts? Given that they are in the minority, and some sort of economic action is needed, opposing any sort of stimulus plan seems like a bad, bad idea for them as a party. They're going to have to pick and choose their battles as such a clear minority party, and this is just one that isn't worth fighting.

At any rate, from the most neutral place I can be, I give Obama great credit for trying to work with the GOP on the stimulus package despite that fact that his congressional majority would allow him to pass it without their approval.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009   #4

The Ranch, Colorado
One of the more interesting questions about this moment in history to me is this:

Could we see the end of a major American political party?

Think about it: no (major) political party in America has died in three generations (I think you have to go back to around the time of Teddy Roosevelt, first decade of 20th century).

What happens if that happens?
Old 01-28-2009   #5

Durango, Colorado
I think there is a possibility that may happen. First, they don't really have a good national leadership figure for 2012 right now, let alone to lead the party ideologically. The party has long been the product of an alliance between fiscal conservatives and evangelicals. Sarah Palin clearly couldn't get enough votes from fiscal conservatives to win. Mitt Romney is a Mormon which wouldn't exactly endear him to evangelicals. Huckabee is probably the best figure I can think of. Besides that, Anne Coulter? Rush Limbaugh? They're also obviously unelectable. They need a Republican Obama to energize the party. They've been running for office saying that government doesn't work, and then proving it when they get elected, for too long.
Old 01-28-2009   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
The MILF is gonna win Wyoming 2012. They are already talking about it here.
Old 01-28-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
She's got a new PAC. As Matt Damon said, her entire political career is like a bad Disney movie. I wonder what she'd have in store for the National Science Foundation with her belief that Dinosaurs were on earth 5,000 years ago. I'd rather Anne Coulter that Sarah Palin if I had to choose one for president, even with Anne making up more "facts" than Rush Limbaugh.
Old 01-29-2009   #8

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
On one hand, I'm not sure what the problem is. The GOP should be able to put whoever the hell they want up there as their candidate, and reap what they sow. What I do have a problem with is gerrymandering and this sort of "restructuring". Fortunately, if they piss enough people off, they'll suffer the consequences (again). I'm really tired of this whole two party system. I'd me more than willing to see the GOP implode in order to create a little more diversity. Hopefully the Democrat Party would follow in short order.

Well thank God for Matt Damon's political commentary. Where would we be as a nation without it? Demo you are mischaracterizing the GOP argument. They are not opposed to the tax cuts, they are opposed to the pork in the bill. Cheers to Obama for making Pelosi yank those hundreds of millions of family planning dollars. Stimulus my ass.

And another *fist bump* to the President to reaching out to the Republicans even though he didn't have to. Not that I think it will do any good whatsoever, but the effort was made.
TimberTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #9

The Ranch, Colorado
Yeah, those Republicans sure were impressed with Obama's conservative temperament, weren't they? Not one Republican vote. Yesterday I would have said that nothing would stun me in American politics, but today, with not one GOP vote for Obama's stimulus in the House, I'm stunned.

They look like cry-babies to me.

I'm not really sure what to do about their claims that all the stimulus will do is grow government inefficiently. Where the FUCK were they during the 8 years of Bush's profligate spending sprees? It outrages me. Or at least back in September when TARP was shoved down our throats with the Treasury insisting it could abide no oversight and no pre-conditions!

As for family planning: Pelosi may have failed her public relations/marketing campaign there, but family planning is good for the short term economy, IMO. Moreoever, without real family planning, the human race is doomed. I was sorry that the dialogue went the way it did, another victory for the Every Sperm is Sacred Christianists.
Old 01-29-2009   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
I was sorry that the dialogue went the way it did, another victory for the Every Sperm is Sacred Christianists.
But it's right there in the Old Testament, Genesis 38:7-10:

And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him.

And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.

And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

And when the seed-spilling and wicked-person-slaying was done, a mighty song rang out across the Kingdom of God:

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

Let the heathen spill theirs
On the dusty ground.
God shall make them pay for
Each sperm that can't be found.

Every sperm is wanted.
Every sperm is good.
Every sperm is needed
In your neighborhood.