cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008   #4
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
If I may be the logic police for a second:
Saying that a single failure within the group of people who advocate abstinence only is like pointing to a single herpes transmission despite condom use to fail. It's pretty statistically insignificant. Nothing works all the time.

Look, the religious right is NUTS over this Veep pick. NUTS. Dobson himself said over the weekend that McCain's pick of her now means he can pull the lever for McCain come November... She at least has been hyper-consistent with bearing a child who she knew, in utero, had Downs Syndrome. And now they do the good Christian thing and support their pregnant child.

Palin has skeletons in her closet having to do with abuse of power, or so I'm assuming given recent reports. And those could come back to haunt the GOP.

But in other news, here's a great satire by former Clinton Administration official (Sec of Defense, IIRC?) Richard Cohen:

Republicans Rush In

Money humor quote:
Quote:
Still, you have to admit that in all that time, especially since Palin became governor about two years ago, no Russian invasion force has come across the strait, maybe because she was in charge of the Guard, maybe because she herself is a hunter and an athlete. The record is unclear because no high-ranking Russian appeared on any of the weekend talk shows to say how they had considered an invasion of Alaska and then backed off when Sarah Palin became commander in chief of the Alaska National Guard. Who could blame them?
Old 09-02-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Logic Police? C'mon. We're talking mean-spirited (though understated) humor, not logic.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
If shes as good lookin as her mom than 17 is pretty good for keeping the dogs down.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
If shes as good lookin as her mom than 17 is pretty good for keeping the dogs down.
Wonder if she attended one of those "Father-Daughter Purity Balls" in which she pledged to wait until marriage to "drill, drill, drill"? Also wonder if she had the "purity" ring and/or bracelet that is sold to seal the vow of chastity?

The "good" news? She's marrying her boyfriend. I'm sure that 17 yr olds are ready to commit to a lifetime of marriage and child rearing. You know, that GOP "sanctity of marriage" thang...
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Not quite...

Quote:
Saying that a single failure within the group of people who advocate abstinence only is like pointing to a single herpes transmission despite condom use to fail. It's pretty statistically insignificant. Nothing works all the time.
Huh? That would make sense if their "abstinence-only" program that she advocates actually had statistics to back it up. It doesn't. The fact is, it doesn't work most of the time. Her daughter falls into the majority, people like to have sex. And it looks like her daughter and boyfriend didn't know how to use a rubber.
American Civil Liberties Union : ACLU Memo to Interested Persons Regarding Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs

Unfortunately, the fact that she preaches "abstinence-only" puts this little family tragedy in play.

-d
Old 09-02-2008   #9
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I think the discussion of Piper's pregnancy a) does more harm to the Obama campaign than McCain, and b) is out of bounds because children should not be victimized by their parents' decision to seek public office, and c) misses most of the real "dirt" in Palin's time in public office
(and those are in order of importance to me)
Old 09-02-2008   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Holy shit, did you actually say that? lol, man... thanks I needed that.