Fascinating election map... - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-06-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Fascinating election map...

Here's a map produced by the Godless, Eastern Liberal Media Elites at the New York Times that shows the voting shift between 2004 and 2008. The redder the county/region, the more people shifted their votes to the GOP. The bluer the area, the more people shifted from the GOP to the Dems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_621_12707_large.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	855  

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Hey, I think I see some bitter rednecks in Western PA!
Old 11-06-2008   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
From Megan McArdel in the Atlantic:

Quote:
I've been saddened and appalled to watch the people who voted with me display behavior they would be ashamed to find in their three year old in any other context.

I don't mean celebrating their win. I mean celebrating their opponents loss. I mean taking more obvious enjoyment in the fact that the people they disagree with are unhappy, developing fantasies of being the boot stomping into those peoples' faces--forever. Four years ago (or was it six?) I told my commenters to stop gloating, only to be dismissed as a nannying concern troll. They'd earned it, you see. After years of abuse from the other side, they deserved to take joy in the disappointment of others.

How'd that work out, guys?

Every time we have an election, the partisans confuse the fact that the independents disliked the opposition candidate, with the idea that the independents joined their party. The independents did not want to stomp the Democrats in 2004, and they do not want to stomp the Republicans now. They are not interested in advancing the electoral fortunes of the Democratic Party, any more than they were preparing to hand the Republicans a "permanent majority" in 2004. And when the various parties act as if it is so--as if the independents had actually voted to join their power-hungry two-minutes-hate, rather than voting for the guy they thought would best shelter them from the vicissitudes of fate . . . well, for the last few elections, they've had their asses handed to them on a silver platter two years later.
Not that I think you're doing this, DS. I just want to point out that these changes should not be considered reflective of anything other than the mood on Nov. 4, 2008.
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
It is certainly NOT my intention to wave this map in the face of McCain supporters as some sort of childish "nahnahnah." We have some serious healing to do in this country.

We've been hearing for years that ours is a "center-right" country. This map indicates something different. Is it indicative of a sea-change of American political philosophy? I don't think so. I think we're mostly centrist, not center-left (or center-right). To me the map illustrates a successful Democratic voter registration effort coupled with independents voting Dem vs. Repub coupled with a general rejection of Bush/Cheney coupled with an inspirational Dem candidate.
Old 11-06-2008   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I didn't see it as gloating either, Helio but see it as an interesting graphic illustrating George Will's statement today that " The South is beginning to look less like the firm foundation of a national party than the embattled redoubt of a regional one. "

If you look at the map, you can see just that. Dem gains all across the country, R gains only in the South (the "embattled redoubt").

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #6
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I didn't think DS was gloating (didn't I qualify that well enough?). I was thread-hijacking with my quote, so I thought' I'd say so.
Old 11-06-2008   #7

Durango, Colorado
First and foremost, I'd say the map illustrates the power of independents in contemporary presidential elections. Those folks voted for Obama in big numbers, though as McArdel notes in the Helio-supplied quote: "They are not interested in advancing the electoral fortunes of the Democratic Party, any more than they were preparing to hand the Republicans a 'permanent majority' in 2004."

In my estimation, Democrats who conclude from a glance at that map that the Democratic Party is hugely ascendant are kinda kidding themselves. It's the independents who determined this election.
Old 11-06-2008   #8

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
It is certainly NOT my intention to wave this map in the face of McCain supporters as some sort of childish "nahnahnah." We have some serious healing to do in this country.

We've been hearing for years that ours is a "center-right" country. This map indicates something different. Is it indicative of a sea-change of American political philosophy? I don't think so. I think we're mostly centrist, not center-left (or center-right). To me the map illustrates a successful Democratic voter registration effort coupled with independents voting Dem vs. Repub coupled with a general rejection of Bush/Cheney coupled with an inspirational Dem candidate.

This doesn't dispute that we are a right to center country. It indicates the normally right to center voter shifted to the left in this election...do you not see the difference?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I think it says more about how the 'old guard' is being slowly replaced by the 'new guard'. In Chaffee County, McCain won by just 5 votes, 3832 to 3827. That is a 0.1% difference! Just goes to show that a rural, ranching county is indeed changing. In years past, the vote would be 80+% for the repubs. We also have a bumper crop of kids, 65 kindergardners! That is just to show that there are a lot of younger families in the area now.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Just after the election was called I spoke with my brother in the Florida Panhandle (the "Redneck Riveria") who told me that my nephew had cast the first vote of his life that day for the winning candidate. It occurred to me that for a generation of kids growing up right now, the notion of a black person being well-spoken, intelligent, and getting elected to the presidency of the greatest nation on earth with a name like "Barak Hussein Obama" will be perfectly normal.

That is a beautiful thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Another thing that occurred to me is that to get these people's votes, the Republicans will have to rely on tactics other than the racist bogeyman slime they've used with great success from the unveiling of the Willie Horton ads in 1988 to the racist slurs we saw in this election.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote