fact check time - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-10-2014   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
fact check time

Election season is officially underway.It is time to scrutinize and research ads and arguments ,public and private.I'm sure we will be getting into it.I will spare you my opinionated rants for now.But prepare for battle by arming yourself with facts,or you could spew bullet points and be debunked and probably ridiculed.Can't wait to kick more repub butt although they'll likely make gains in the house and maybe take the senate ,I predict a tie.If they do rest control then look for them to try to go waaaay to far and mobilize dems for 2016.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Facts and politics? I am finding they have very little to do with each other.
Old 09-10-2014   #3

Denver, Colorado
GH ,that's often true but they are supposed to.That they are not is a BIG part of our problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
True enough.
Old 09-16-2014   #5
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
GH ,that's often true but they are supposed to.That they are not is a BIG part of our problems.
Amen!
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014   #6

Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
Yeah everyone can agree on that but no one agrees what the facts are. Most are only interested in facts that support their ideology in the first place. I just finished re-reading The Republic recently. It should be required reading for everyone if only for the exposure to the Socratic method. If a few more people could just have conversation and search for answers for their own sake we'd be better off.
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014   #7

Denver, Colorado
That's why I'm saying question your assumptions and review the facts.Sure there is a lot of confirmation bias going on.How long are you supposed to analyze and reanalyze data before you can safely draw a conclusion?If an overwhelming preponderance of evidence supports a particular position is it wrong to take it,just because it is partisan?

Some of the problems I see are

1)people are woefully ignorant of history ..US and World

2). People have unbelievably short memories

3) younger people have seen nothing but partisan bickering and gridlock since they've become politically conscious but have little concept of how that evolved.If you try to explain it based on the provable recent political history of the US you are dismissed as partisan or a conspiracy theorist.

4) the Yankee doodle /American exceptionalist world view

5) media consolidation ,the dumbing down of mainstream media,and massive disinformation campaigns funded by billionaire ideologues.

Some of these fact check sites are very good ,give much detail and explanations of their reasoning,as well as links to their sources.Look at a few different ones .

gotta go to work ..hope we have a discussion here ..I'll try to play nice
Old 09-17-2014   #8

Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
Good points and I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't be partisan. Only that in my experience, many people aren't interested in examining why they hold the views they do. If you self identify as republican simply because mom and dad were, then you're way more likely to think that those lazy bastards can get off of welfare and get a job. Conversely, if mom and dad raised you as a democrat you're likely to think that maybe those people need the help.

Life is rarely that cut and dry. Almost no issue is black and white yet (usually) by claiming one party or another people subscribe to a whole list of yes or no/black and white choices.

Sorry, not trying to derail your thread. I just wish that political discourse (as opposed to rhetorical shit tossing) actually existed.
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014   #9

Denver, Colorado
You"re not derailing anything..thanks for commenting...it would be good if partisans ( or people who claim to be independent) were more interested in SOLVING problems than just winning. elections( being right /thinking they are above it all by allegedly being non partisan.)
Old 09-17-2014   #10

Your perspective determines your outlook, this is an important idea. However, I think you have to find the causes that both right and left will benefit. Here are two, tax the wealthy and tax carbon. But I forgot, our government is corrupt, never mind.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote