Drug Legalization: Plain Common Sense - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 01-14-2009   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Drug Legalization: Plain Common Sense

The War on Drugs is and has been, since its inception a complete and utter failure. In 2000 we spent over $40 billion on Drug Enforcement, yet drugs today are cheaper and more pure than they were at the beginning of the drug war (Economic Consequences of the War on Drugs). Absurd? The average daily cost per state prison inmate in this country is around $67 dollars. This cost can be added onto the cost of pre-incarceration drug enforcement. Interestingly enough, 1/4 of these prisoners were arrested and convicted for non-violent drug offenses. That represents 460,000 people nationwide (MetroActive News & Issues | Nonviolent Drug Offenses). Lets not forget the opportunity cost of the tax revenue lost. Drug legalization would actually reduce the rate of drug addicition in this country. Right now, kids can go to any drug dealer and buy whatever they desire. Joe the Crack Dealer doesn't ask for ID. It can actually be easier in some places to buy meth than it is to buy a case of PBR. Legalizing drugs in a way that they are treated like alcohol or cigarettes would make them harder to acquire for the most addiction prone members of our society, thereby reducing usage. In the Netherlands, where most drugs are tolerated if not considered completely legal (check it out sometime, its a blast), rates of drug addiction are considerably lower than here in the United States (The Netherlands Compared With The United States | Drug War Facts). In a time when the country is hard up for cash, and we have real security threats to be dealt with, shouldn't we be spending our money in more productive ways?

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009   #2
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I asked my students once how hard it was for kids to buy alcohol. They said that kids usually just asked a drunk looking guy (racial indication avoided here) to buy in exchange for a pint... but that it was in fact easier to get weed.
Old 01-15-2009   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
demo great idea lets show the youth its alright to use hard drugs like meth and heroin. oh and lets take the citizens weapons 2. jesus. if you bring up netherlands may i remind you its cannabis only. sometimes some mush but thats all that is sold publically.

your ban on the war on DRUGS is to wide. what do you suggest we do with the youth getting addicted to pain meds? what do we do with addicted meth heads and opiate freaks? give them all methadone?

cheaper and more pure than when nixon started the war on drugs i doubt it highly.

rethink this
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009   #4

Bozeman, Montana
the reason the netherlands allows the sell of cannabis in coffee shops is it effectively seperates the acceptable legal from the unnacceptable illegal drugs. if we enforce more jail time for harder drugs and make cannabis legal you than have a viable means of boosting the economy in a grand way. drugs are in fact not cheaper the steady rise of cannabis is visible if you participate in the market. i stay away from the other shit so i don't know what going rates are these days but i know for a fact its not cheap. why do you think people lose their houses.
Old 01-15-2009   #5

Durango, Colorado
Casper,
First, in the Netherlands Cannabis is essentially legal. The other drugs are tolerated, meaning that addicts caught with a small amount of hard drugs do not spend 15 years in prison, which is almost certainly counter-productive.
Old 01-15-2009   #6

Bozeman, Montana
why is putting hard drug users in prison counter-productive?

im almost 100 percent positive that if we got rid of the murder laws, violent crimes including homocide would drastically rise. why wouldn't it be the same for hard drugs when they become even easier to get a hold of.

and legalizing hard drugs like heroin we are sending more money to the war in afghanistan.
Old 01-15-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Sorry, accidentally posted before I was done.
Second, drugs are certainly cheaper and more potent than they were before the war on drugs started. The herb is definitely more potent than it was forty years ago. Not that thats a bad thing. I'm originally from the East Coast, and I know for a fact that Heroin there is cheaper and more potent than it has ever been. A hit of heroin in New York is actually cheaper than a six pack of cheap beer. Drug dealers are also cutting their smack with synthetic opiates to make it even stronger, which has resulted in a rash of overdoses throughout the northeast.
Third, youth are already getting addicted without our help. As I stated above, selling drugs in state stores, like state liquor stores in Utah, would make them harder to get. Its relatively easy to shoulder-tap to get beer, but I personally think most people are going to think twice about purchasing methamphetamine for a 15 year old. Requiring somebody to be 21 to buy heroin might not keep all kids from getting their hands on it, but it certainly reduces the availability.
Fourth, treatment for addicts is a far, far better alteranative than imprisonment. Sending someone to prison for 10, 15 or 20 years doesn't cure the problem, it only turns them into a career criminal. They were a non-violent offender going in, will they be when they get out? Heard of recidivism? With all the money we'd save with drug legalization, we'd be able to actually fund drug addiction treatment programs. These won't work 100%, but they'll be a step in the right direction. We could also fund efforts to help addicts use in a responsible way. Needle exchanges are an example of this. Needle exchanges in San Francisco have cut the HIV infection rate among IV drug users from 40% to less than 10%.
Old 01-15-2009   #8

Bozeman, Montana
also netherland banned the use or cultization of magic mushrooms in 2008.

"the Netherlands continue to be an important transit point for drugs entering Europe, a major producer[10] and leading distributor of cannabis, heroin, cocaine, amphetamines[11][12] and other synthetic drugs, and a medium consumer of illicit drugs."

wiki
Drug policy of the Netherlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

your sense isn't common.

the reason herb is better is cross breeding the same reason track horses and track dogs are getting faster. cross breeding of genetics, its also alot more expensive. cronic is 400 an ounce street value.
Old 01-15-2009   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The libertarian side of me (conservative Buzzards should immediately stop laughing hysterically at the very idea) likes the idea of ending the war on drugs and legalizing 'em. But the commie side of me says limit it to pot. More sane laws regarding the hard stuff, especially meth and opiates should be passed, with a focus on treatment, not incarceration. Our prisons are overflowing with non-violent druggies who shouldn't be there. The violent meth heads and junkies? Treat their illness in prison.
Old 01-15-2009   #10

Bozeman, Montana
why are we going to sell something that is going to fuck up the people and kill family members?

my unlce was a bad opiate abuser. it took his life at 38 yeah lets bring them in.

i say quite smoking your crack.

prisons do infact have council. they also have time to clean up and sober up which is one of the hardest parts of being in rehad and which most of the patients cann't make through. the 3 day flu.\

steve is there such thing as a non violent meth user? not in my book.