Drill baby, drill!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-10-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Drill baby, drill!!!

I found this interesting. Republicans trying to have it both ways.

Press Releases | Senator Ron Wyden | Standing Up for All of Oregon&

Basically saying we need to drill to lower prices (estimated 22% increase in home heating this winter) while also trying to sell Alaskan natural gas to Pacific Rim countries.

-d

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008   #2
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
As I recall from my brief period of working for El Paso natural gas (about 5 times longer than my newspaper career, or two weeks in total), the Western states use natural gas for heating, because it is super-abundant, and super cheap to produce and move. The east uses heating oil, which I think (but I'm not sure) is a derivitive of petroleum products.

So in that sense, drilling for crude oil can be separated from exporting natural gas. Question becomes: Wouldn't it be cheaper to move natural gas supplies to the east coast and stop relying on petroleum based technology for their heating needs?

Drilling for oil benefits one set of corporations, and exporting natural gas benefits another. Hmm, what about Americans' needs here?
Old 09-10-2008   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Whos going to build the natural gas pipeline to the east coast?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Whos going to build the natural gas pipeline to the east coast?
Probably swiftboater T. Boone Pickins. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to push to socialize the cost (hence the media campaign) and then privatize the gains (he is a Republican of course). I'm too busy to supply any links.

-d
Old 09-10-2008   #5

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
"drill baby drill" is a soundbyte to appeal to the folks who are too lazy to do any research, just like putting palin on the ticket and bringing back to life images and video of 9/11 at the RNC.
Old 09-10-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Dude,

Quote:
John Feehery, a Republican strategist, said the campaign is entering a stage in which skirmishes over the facts are less important than the dominant themes that are forming voters' opinions of the candidates.
"The more the New York Times and The Washington Post go after Sarah Palin, the better off she is, because there's a bigger truth out there and the bigger truths are she's new, she's popular in Alaska and she is an insurgent," Feehery said. "As long as those are out there, these little facts don't really matter."
You are unfortunatly correct and the Republicans know it.
-d
Old 09-10-2008   #7

the fort, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Dude,

You are unfortunatly correct and the Republicans know it.
-d
they didn't steal the first one and win the second one because they're stupid....they may be evil bastards, but they're smart evil bastards.

and what's more the "liberal media" is part and parcel to it. palin has generated way more storylines in the last 10 days than anything that actually matters, and it's -mostly- because of media outlets. hell politico's main story all day long has been about her staff and how it's accused of bush veterans. as long as repubs can detract attention from the actual campaign and the issues that matter, the republicans will remain in the limelight. not to mention that charlie gibson will throw up some good softballs tomorrow evening when palin is interviewed. some more hard-hitting journalism, i'm sure.
Old 09-10-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Dude,

They did steal the 2004 election. It is described in detail in Greg Palast's book, "Armed Madhouse".
Greg Palast: How They Stole Ohio And the GOP 4-step Recipe to 'Blackwell' the USA in 2008 Abracadabra: Three Million Votes Vanish

Here is a brief outline, and how they are going to steal OH in 2008.
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2008/09/09-0

BTW, they also stole NM in 2004 and Richardson was complicit.

Quote:
Well, not "all." The nine-to-one Black-to-White ballot spoilage rate is a national statistic -- not just an Ohio trick. Last year, I flew to New Mexico to investigate the 33,981 cast but not counted ballots of that state in the 2004 race. George Bush "won" New Mexico by 5,988 votes. Or did he? I calculated that, of all the ballots rejected and "spoiled," 89% were cast by voters of color. Who won New Mexico? Kerry won -- or he would have, if they had counted the ballots.
We should start up a new post on voter fraud.

-d
Old 09-10-2008   #9

Weyers Cave, Virginia
Send a message via AIM to Slunk
uck it all, lets build Nuclear reactors on off shore oil platforms, Burn that fancy "claen Coal" Hook up wind turbines to the drill bits on land based shale-oil deposits. It will be "Green" and what not, the masses don't give a damn, so lets dam every river to power the electrified chainsaws...
Slunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Drill Here, Drill Now: Interior Dept. Officials Slept With Oil Reps

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Government brokers responsible for collecting billions of dollars in federal oil royalties operated in a "culture of substance abuse and promiscuity" that included having sex with energy company employees, accepting lavish gifts and rigging contracts to favored firms, investigators said Wednesday...
Nice. Now we know why CasperMike defends the oilers. Hey Mike, whose milkshake you drinking?
-d