douchebag of the year - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-06-2009   #1

conifer, Colorado
douchebag of the year

I think this says it all:

WASHINGTON – A decision by Barack Obama to postpone his first meeting as president with the Dalai Lama is overshadowing a visit to Washington this week by the exiled spiritual leader of Tibet's Buddhists.
The Dalai Lama arrived Monday in Washington and will be received by prominent lawmakers and the U.S. coordinator for Tibet. But the focus for many in China, Tibet and the United States is the president's decision not to meet with the Dalai Lama until after Obama visits Chinese President Hu Jintao in Beijing in November.
The Dalai Lama has met with the past three sitting U.S. presidents during his visits to Washington. But this week's trip comes at a delicate time for a new U.S. administration looking to improve relations with Beijing and win Chinese support for crucial foreign policy, economic and environmental goals.

mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009   #2

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Were so fiscally fucked human rights no longer matter. Can't afford to piss off the slave owners now can we.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #3

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
So what does it say? Oboma wants to get cooperation with China to deal with the situations in North Korea and Iran. Just trying to prevent a nuclear holocaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
I think this says it all:

WASHINGTON – A decision by Barack Obama to postpone his first meeting as president with the Dalai Lama is overshadowing a visit to Washington this week by the exiled spiritual leader of Tibet's Buddhists.
The Dalai Lama arrived Monday in Washington and will be received by prominent lawmakers and the U.S. coordinator for Tibet. But the focus for many in China, Tibet and the United States is the president's decision not to meet with the Dalai Lama until after Obama visits Chinese President Hu Jintao in Beijing in November.
The Dalai Lama has met with the past three sitting U.S. presidents during his visits to Washington. But this week's trip comes at a delicate time for a new U.S. administration looking to improve relations with Beijing and win Chinese support for crucial foreign policy, economic and environmental goals.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009   #4

So who is "douchebag of the year"?

-Mr Compassionate?

-Barack Obama?

-Dalai Lama?

or Hu Jintao?

I'm confused!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #5

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

-Mr Compassionate?

-Barack Obama?

-Dalai Lama?

or Hu Jintao?

I'm confused!
I'm Not!
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #6

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

-Mr Compassionate?

-Barack Obama?

-Dalai Lama?

or Hu Jintao?

I'm confused!

Barack Obama and Hu Jintao. Hopefully Obama knows proper protocol and doesnt bow to the Chinese Dick-tater
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #7

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Using the Tibetan people in general and the Dalai Lama in particular as political pawns in US-Sino relations has been an ongoing political parlor game in DC for some time now. It's pathetic. It's very disappointing to see Obama continue the game.

Interesting fun fact: the winner of the "Douchebag of the Year" award for eight consecutive years was the first US President to appear publicly with the Dalai Lama, and actually presented him with the Congressional Gold Medal. Credit where credit is due. Damn, I hate doing that...
Old 10-06-2009   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandyoso View Post
I'm Not!
I agree..I mean shit China is only the biggest country in the world...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
OK, I'm a little slow today... let me make sure I understand how this works:

Richard Nixon spoke to Chairman Mao, a Chinese leader, back when they were still "Red China," at a time between Mao's own Cultural Revolution and Tian'anmen Square, when the Chinese were oppressing Tibet, supporting our wartime enemy the Viet Cong, and he was considered a hero and statesman for it.

Barack Obama spoke to Chinese President Hu Jintao, a Chinese leader in an effort "improve relations with Beijing and win Chinese support for crucial foreign policy, economic and environmental goals." But now its at a time when China is embracing capitalism, slowly opening up their society, still oppressing Tibet, have influence over the Asian loose cannon N. Korea, and are our biggest creditor, and Obama earns the title "douchebag of the year."

Yep, I think I'm figuring out how this works...

By and the way, Mr. C, I saw you drive by the other day. Did you know your "Free Tibet" sticker must've fallen off the Prius?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmonymatoid View Post
Were so fiscally fucked human rights no longer matter. Can't afford to piss off the slave owners now can we.
Fuck yeah! I'm guessing that's what old Dubya wuz thinkin too.

It must make old Cheney wet just looking at it.....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag