Don't let the FACTS get in the way... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-10-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Don't let the FACTS get in the way...

During the campaign season, FactCheck.org is a great place to go learn what the truth is, and how campaigns intentionally distort, mislead and lie.

On FactCheck's homepage right now there are 12 postings that analyze current campaign distortions. 9 address McCain/Palin ads or statements, 2 are specific to Obama's ads or statements, and 1 looks at internet rumors about Palin. Looks like the Republicans are completely dominating the Sleaze Sweepstakes.

Anyone surprised?

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Looks like the Republicans are completely dominating the Sleaze Sweepstakes.

Anyone surprised?
Considering Obama is the one running almost solely on an Advertising campaign of two words - change and hope - and will not bring any, I'd say he is winning

Why haven't you given it a rest yet? Half of the posts in here are you bitching about politics, we get it, you're mad.
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintee View Post
Considering Obama is the one running almost solely on an Advertising campaign of two words - change and hope - and will not bring any, I'd say he is winning

Why haven't you given it a rest yet? Half of the posts in here are you bitching about politics, we get it, you're mad.
That's all you have to offer in defense of McCain?

I'm not mad, I'm concerned about the future of this nation. There are plenty of intelligent, articulate boater folk who post diverse opinions in The Eddy. There's the potential for all of us to learn something from the dialogue that takes place here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Change baby, whats worse than a dollar?

change......
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Any response to the documented proof that the McCain campaign is lying with impunity? Any counter that refutes the evidence piled up by the non-partisan folks at FactCheck.org? Anything?

C'mon. This is your chance to defend McCain. Otherwise, we can only assume that you are completely comfortable with the Karl Rove-style politics being offered by McCain.
Old 09-11-2008   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
I was wondering if any of this was going to reach msm, I am glad it is getting out.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

kevintee, why jump on a political thread and bitch about it being political?
Old 09-11-2008   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
I was wondering if any of this was going to reach msm, I am glad it is getting out.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

kevintee, why jump on a political thread and bitch about it being political?

Because EVERY thread he starts is political. Why not just continue the last one? Use this evidence to further whatever point he was trying to make in his other 4 political threads that are up right now possibly?

I won't try to dispute your 'evidence' of lies or mistruths etc because I understand that it is possible and in fact more than likely that you are correct.

I would rather have a candidate that is truthful with his campaign promises and maybe rubs a little fabricated mud on his opponent than someone who appears squeeky clean but won't come through. Were I a betting man I would wager untold amounts that Obama will not bring about even 1/8th the reform he promises. He is just another politician that understands that if he puts on a show and says he'll change things that it helps his chances of getting elected. He has just figured out the most effective way to coerce people into electing him.
Old 09-11-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Because EVERY thread he starts is political. Why not just continue the last one? Use this evidence to further whatever point he was trying to make in his other 4 political threads that are up right now possibly?
You are correct that my threads of late have been political, but EVERY thread I start? Not true. I'm a political junkie, and this election has me pumped up.

Quote:
I won't try to dispute your 'evidence' of lies or mistruths etc because I understand that it is possible and in fact more than likely that you are correct.
Not "my" evidence. It's the hard work that the non-partisan FactCheck.org does to reveal politician's lies on the campaign trail.

Quote:
I would rather have a candidate that is truthful with his campaign promises and maybe rubs a little fabricated mud on his opponent than someone who appears squeeky clean but won't come through. Were I a betting man I would wager untold amounts that Obama will not bring about even 1/8th the reform he promises. He is just another politician that understands that if he puts on a show and says he'll change things that it helps his chances of getting elected. He has just figured out the most effective way to coerce people into electing him.
I don't expect Obama to bring about every change he has proposed. Washington has some deeply entrenched players who don't want to lose power. But if he brings about SOME of the changes he has proposed, our nation will be much better off. And Obama isn't "coercing" anyone to vote for him. He's presenting a viable option to more of the McSame.

Anyhow, the research done by FactCheck.org shows pretty clearly that McCain's campaign is taking the low road, a strategy that proved very effective in 2000 and 2004. Sleaze works. I'd like to believe that the TRUTH works better.
Old 09-11-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Truthful in his campaign promises but untruthful in his campaigning?!
You are lost. Your mind is obviously made up and no amount of logic, truth, or facts will change it.
-d
Old 09-11-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Truthful in his campaign promises but untruthful in his campaigning?!
You are lost. Your mind is obviously made up and no amount of logic, truth, or facts will change it.
-d
Two very different things, most politicians lie in both categories. One is merely words, the other is a promise to enact those words if elected. Problem with Washington is there are too many promises.