Dirtbiking near BV/Salida - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-31-2006   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dirtbiking near BV/Salida

Water's too low to get me excited, so while half the gang is newcomers who will be getting introduced to boating, the other half wants to hit the dirt. Looking for some beta on where to go, what to do.

I'm an intermediate trailrider, but I'll be with a fairly novice partner, so probably best not to do something really technical. Psyched for trails or fire roads. My bike is street legal, but I don't think my partner's is so minimal time on highways or county roads would be ideal. Also interested in having more folks tag along if you want to join us -- there's just two of us for now.

Still TBD, but on Sunday, I may be up for a more advanced ride as I think said partner may be going mountain biking.

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006   #2

Across the Ark from BV is a virtual dirt biking/ATV mecca, man. Lots of fire roads and trails. Take Colorado St. N out of BV, after you cross the river but before the tunnels, turn right on the road. The roads have numbers but I forgot them. Anyway, lots of campsites and roads branch off from there. Dirtbiking is not my thing so I can't recomend any specifics but lots of free campsites and sometimes a good cell singal. You can also access from Hwy 24. Go north between J Village & Trout Creek pass.
the Dancerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #3

The next zone, .
What days are you goin to be up here? I may be able to go - sunday I am busy with double jackin up at boom days.

Ruby Mtn is also a great area - enough for a all day ride - unload just up from the put in.

Also bring the playboat - BV is still super fun.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006   #4

Golden, Colorado
RDNEK,

August 5th and 6th. (Sat and Sun). Like to have you join us.

Ruby Mtn. is the lower putin for Brown's Canyon, right?
Old 07-31-2006   #5

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
The trails near Ruby are kick ass........speakin' of, I'm trying my damndest to find a couple old four stroke/enduro bikes. Anybody have a couple older bikes they'd like to unload....or know anyone who may???
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Re: Dirtbiking near BV/Salida

I just got back from Taylor Park which is next to Taylor Reservior, over Cottonwood pass from BV. I've never really been on a 4 wheeler, or bike before, but I had lots of fun. About 1 - 1.5 hours West of BV, lots of trails.
bwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #7

The next zone, .
Ruby is the lower put in for Browns - all the AHRA maps have it marked -drive past the campground 1/2 mile, and then just before the road goes up the 1 st hill unload and enjoy.

Some trails back there but most is old jeep roads in old sand washes. Also with all the rain that we have been gettin there is not much dust gettin kicked up. Anything back there that is not very well marked as a no dirtbike road is leagal to ride.

One of my friends is also learnin so I will see what I can set up for sat.
Old 08-07-2006   #8

The next zone, .
Sorry we missed you guys on Sat. I had to work and got up there a little late. We had a good ride and got back to the truck just after the rain started.

Man we have had a ton or rain around here. Some of the trails are startin to wash out. How is that single track down by salider?
Old 08-07-2006   #9

Golden, Colorado
Saw your truck. Too bad we missed you. We had a great time, thanks for the beta. Got some air. Got some roost. Washed out the front tire in that sand a few times.

Next day we went up Baldwin Gulch to Antero. Met some aquamarine miners on about the 6th switchback of the big hill. They had some good lightning stories and the coffee they were pouring was strong. Summitted out, then raced back down in a hail storm. By the time we got to Baldwin Cr. again it was sunny.

I'll keep your number for the next time I come out. Really want to do some more riding down there.

Cheers!
Old 08-08-2006   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNEK
Ruby is the lower put in for Browns - all the AHRA maps have it marked -drive past the campground 1/2 mile, and then just before the road goes up the 1 st hill unload and enjoy.
Just curious, how do you drive past Ruby Mt campground? the road dead ends at the campground.
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote