Denver Robbing the Citizens - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2013   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Denver Robbing the Citizens

Anyone else been robbed by the City of Denver and completely pissed off?

Back in April I got a ticket at 8am for being parked on a street scheduled for street sweeping. Guilty? Yes. $50 fine reasonable? No! Fortunately I was in a position to visit the parking office and talk to the magistrate and get it knocked down to $35.

A few months ago my girlfriend got ticketed 4 times (4 f'ing times!!) for the same offense in less than two weeks. Not having current stickers on your license plate will set you back $150 each offense. Well, she's in school and working full time and doesn't have the $$ or the schedule to go visit the magistrate for a hearing. She's paying $25/wk to show good faith even though there's no such payment program. Well she gets booted yesterday and with late fees and the boot fee she's out $1000! She goes to the magistrate to pay, get the boot off and see if there's a way she can get the fine knocked down. Nope.

Well, just today I got a fine in the mail from the City courtesy of their photo enforcement program showing my truck stopped at a red light, 5' over the white stop line. Yes, absent-mindedly rolling over the stop line at a stop light will set you back $40.

It's clear the City of Denver has no interest in serving and protecting it's citizens but complete intention of robbing them blind for any petty offense they can think of. Whoever wrote and approved this municipal code deserves to be tarred and feathered. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything to do other than bend over and take it up the arse... or shall we have a rally at the mayor's house?

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013   #2

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't they have to personally serve you for any type of process that might involve the courts? I've heard they will send you threatening messages but don't have the manpower to personally serve these things. We still have the right to a trial in this country (for now) and if they want to convict, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. I've heard that if you ignore, they will eventually stop pursuing. Might want to find out what the statute of limitations is on these. Maybe consult an attorney or do a little research. This crap really sucks and is just another example of the gov. overstepping their authority and hoping people just keep paying. Sorry bastards!
Carroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013   #3
don't bogart that

Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Parking

Public entities with public tax monies have found a revenue source that is a cash cow.
We know its wrong but who is going to change it, human greed. Total parasitic government on the people. Durango makes almost two million per year on parking meters and fines. Ask you local government what the general fund receives from parking and fines, i promise it won't help you blood pressure.
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013   #4
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
sounds like you're whining for breaking the rules and getting caught. It's called being a responsible adult. Think those fines are steep you should do the same thing in chicago....
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013   #5
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carroth View Post
Don't they have to personally serve you for any type of process that might involve the courts? I've heard they will send you threatening messages but don't have the manpower to personally serve these things. We still have the right to a trial in this country (for now) and if they want to convict, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. I've heard that if you ignore, they will eventually stop pursuing. Might want to find out what the statute of limitations is on these. Maybe consult an attorney or do a little research. This crap really sucks and is just another example of the gov. overstepping their authority and hoping people just keep paying. Sorry bastards!
personally serve you for breaking the rules?!? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
Old 08-09-2013   #6
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Well, lets see
1) You park in a no parking zone. The reason they do this is so they can clean your street. Says so right on the sign. Were you thinking you'd get a free car wash?
2) Girlfriend allows tags to expire. Gets 4 tickets in two weeks. I'm wondering; wasn't the first or maybe second time enough indication to her that getting the damn tags or parking it until she could afford the tags made more sense than continuing to drive? Just asking. And, for sure, getting booted should be good evidence it isn't going to go away if she ignores it. I mean, she is a college student and all.........
3) 5 FEET over the line!!?? What, you thought those lines are there more as guidelines or suggestions?

Sorry. No sympathy.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013   #7

'Robbed' by the City of Denver or 'caught' by the City of Denver?
robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013   #8
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by robanna View Post
'Robbed' by the City of Denver or 'caught' by the City of Denver?
seriously... his mindset is why our country is going down the shitter fast. No one takes any personal responsibility, it's always someone else's mistake or problem. You broke the rules now own it and stop whining about it on mountainbuzz.
Old 08-09-2013   #9

dude, i gotta agree with schultzie and all the others, except carroth on this one. from now on do this. when you park, look around for signs or meters, when you get that little postcard in the mail to renew your tags, write a check and send it back in. when you pull up to a stoplight, stop before you get to the white line so people can walk across the street instead of having to walk around your truck.

most important do this. be a grownup and realize that your not immune from the rules we all have to play by.

4 tickets in 2 weeks for expired plates? i think it woulda got my attention after the first ticket, for sure after the second i would been straight on the way to the dmv with my checkbook. but 4 times? an they even give you a month grace period. wow.

the cool hand luke scene is what i always want to do when i get a parking ticket. great movie.

and carroth man thats the funneyest thing i read on the buzz in a long time.

Quote:
I've heard they will send you threatening messages but don't have the manpower to personally serve these things. We still have the right to a trial in this country (for now) and if they want to convict, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. I've heard that if you ignore, they will eventually stop pursuing. Might want to find out what the statute of limitations is on these.
who you been listenin to???

man i sure hope you know your being silly here. if your not, whatever your smokin pass that stuff over here!
Old 08-09-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Good that most seem to get that being a citizen requires some responsibility.....usually the people making these gripes leave out critical details :the failure to get plates (and thus. 4 tickets) wouldn't .have anything to do with needing an emissions test(or proof of insurance) would it? You pay less than a hundred bucks (usually) once a year to register your car and a 25 dollar emissions test once every two years.If your car fails you may have to spend some dough to keep polluting junkers off the road or make them meet a pretty lenient standard, even my POS 87' ForRunner with over 300k miles passed.

Not unsympathetic to struggling students.How about lowering interest rates on student loans which had go be fought tooth and nail for with repubs who think a bank 's right to higher profits is the overriding consideration and that gov should not subsidize higher education like most civilized countries do.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote