Democracy in America Is a Useful Fiction - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 01-25-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Democracy in America Is a Useful Fiction

Chris Hedges: Democracy in America Is a Useful Fiction - Chris Hedges' Columns - Truthdig

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010   #2

Thought provoking article. I can't believe the supreme court made such as terrible decision!
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
democracy, brought to you by Coke. drink Coke!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010   #4
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
In agreement, generally, with this sentiment, I present a couple useful links related (some a bit loosely) to this point:

What the US would look like if voting blocs were allocated by population (i.e. real representation, rather than this geographic hegemony of the Northeast).

Quote:
What states might look like if, as with Congressional districts, their borders were periodically redrawn to reflect population changes...This map is by Neil Freeman from FakeIsTheNewReal.org. It's based on a division of the country into 50 state units with more-or-less equal population -- 5 to 6 million apiece -- and preserving existing boundaries where possible. (As with the new state of "Missouri.")

Yglesias notes:
Quote:
In some ways, even the sparsely populated areas currently overrepresented in the Senate would benefit from this arrangement. Consolidating several big empty square states into a “high plains” unit would allow these areas to cut down on some inefficient duplication of effort. With just one state capitol, you’d have a wider population pool from which to recruit really good people to run your state agencies. And with only one capitol to cover, it’s much more likely that you’d have first-rate reporters figuring out what’s happening. You could focus on creating one really good flagship state university campus instead of struggling to maintain six middling ones.
For the record, I've always said it is the oligarchs who always rule in any society. Occasionally tides converge and a charismatic leader or cause emerge and oligarchs change. This is sometimes gratifyingly accompanied by mob justice greeting the old oligarchs...

On to another link...
Meanwhile in the Halls of Justice, financial regulation overhaul is a shell-game that Congress hopes you won't pay attention to!

Quote:
A day after the Obama administration proposed its new set of financial rules, reality is setting in. I'm not seeing anyone who thinks it's particularly dangerous to split off prop trading from client service, or to impose limits on total bank liabilities. But there's a lot of skepticism that anything like this can pass. Folks like Chris Dodd and Chuck Schumer will have a lot to say about this, and they aren't interested in making life difficult for their constituents in the financial services industry--especially not Dodd, who's going to need his friends after he retires.

Economics of Contempt thinks it's a political stunt that is going to quietly die in committee.
The manhattan political class is devoutly going to oppose this, because it will drain their tax coffers...
Old 01-25-2010   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
I too am troubled by this ruling

I am pro free speech and certainly understand the common law doctrine that has held a corporation up as an individual in the eyes of the court. That said, there is nothing "individual" in this decision. This gives political interest groups further traction in our society. Whether Exxon, or the teachers union, this advances the power of those with power, while leaving the individual voice drowning in the hurricane of spending. So what is the answer? I don't believe in amending the constitution at a whim. I believe an outlaw on lobbyist is un constitutional. The only answer I see at this point is the free press doing its job. Even there, too many are advancing personal ideology in the name of journalism. It is a really difficult problem and the work through will be equally difficult. In the interim we just need to listen to what the candidates say and not what others say about them. In the interim, I need to keep focused on the powder!
Old 01-25-2010   #6

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You've become a powerful antidote to my daily intake of antidepressants. Uh, thanks, man.
Old 01-25-2010   #7
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I think we should make the politicians wear the corporate logos of their sponsors like NASCAR drivers. At least that way, we could vote for our favorite corporations.
Old 01-26-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
So what is the answer? I don't believe in amending the constitution at a whim. I believe an outlaw on lobbyist is un constitutional.
This is one interesting take on what to do...

Ralph Nader suggested we "...enact a Constitutional Amendment to once and for all end corporate personhood." Other grassroots organizations are beginning to jump on board this movement.

Here is another organization with tons of information about corporate personhood.

Quote:
The only answer I see at this point is the free press doing its job. Even there, too many are advancing personal ideology in the name of journalism.
The problem with the "free press" is that they are a part of the corporate forces that are helping to carry out the coup that Chris Hedge's writes about in his article. There are 6 major corporations who own and control nearly everything you see on TV. And there are 14 major corporations who own nearly everything you read in print.

The media issue is another topic all together, and I won't get into it here. There is a great book written by Noam Chomsky and Edward Hermann called, Manufacturing Consent. It is an incredible eye opener, and well worth the read. This is an article by Chomsky that is a brief summary about the mainstream corporate news.

I also highly suggest watching a 4 part video called The Century of the Self. You can watch it on google video for free. It is by far one of the best documentaries I have EVER watched and learned from.

Enjoy!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #9

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Attack on the court

Last night Obama chastised the court on this decision in the state of the union. While the outcome of the ruling is not something I am not found of, I am much less found of politicizing a decision of the court. They are charged with upholding the constitution and the law, not finding work a rounds to appease the flavor of the month in office. That was a low blow by Obama and I was disappointed by it.
Old 01-28-2010   #10
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Maybe President Obama has a plan to end corporate personhood which would then ultimately end the taxation of corporations that leads to their leaving the country and exporting jobs.