Debunking the Dickmeister - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-15-2009   #1

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Debunking the Dickmeister

Ever since Dick Cheney got evicted from his secure, undisclosed location, he has been busily touting the virtues of torture. His tortured explanations have been met with either hoots of derision or Limbaugh-esque blurts of buttholish approval. Like Limbaugh's favorite undergarments, I guess it Depends.

Here's a scathing assessment of the Dickmeister's Tour de Torture across the airwaves from a Republican and former administration official.

Quote:
The Truth About Richard Bruce Cheney

This is a guest post exclusive to The Washington Note by Col. Lawrence B. Wilkerson, who is former chief of staff of the Department of State during the term of Secretary of State Colin Powell. Lawrence Wilkerson is also Pamela Harriman Visiting Professor at the College of William & Mary.

Last night I was on Rachel Maddow's show on MSNBC at the top of the hour. But before I came on, through the earpiece I listened to the five minutes that Rachel sketched as a lead-in. Most of it was videotape from the last few days of former Vice President Dick Cheney extolling the virtues of harsh interrogation, torture, and his leadership. I had heard some of it earlier of course but not all of it and not in such a tightly-packed package.

Let's just say that five minutes of the Sith Lord was stunningly inaccurate.

So, when I got home last night, I thought long and hard about what I knew at this point in my investigations with respect to the former VP's office. Here it is.

First, more Americans were killed by terrorists on Cheney's watch than on any other leader's watch in US history. So his constant claim that no Americans were killed in the "seven and a half years" after 9/11 of his vice presidency takes on a new texture when one considers that fact. And it is a fact.

There was absolutely no policy priority attributed to al-Qa'ida by the Cheney-Bush administration in the months before 9/11. Counterterrorism czar Dick Clarke's position was downgraded, al-Qa'ida was put in the background so as to emphasize Iraq, and the policy priorities were lowering taxes, abrogating the ABM Treaty and building ballistic missile defenses.

Second, the fact no attack has occurred on U.S. soil since 9/11--much touted by Cheney--is due almost entirely to the nation's having deployed over 200,000 U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and not to "the Cheney method of interrogation."

Those troops have kept al-Qa'ida at bay, killed many of them, and certainly "fixed" them, as we say in military jargon. Plus, sadly enough, those 200,000 troops present a far more lucrative and close proximity target for al-Qa'ida than the United States homeland. Testimony to that fact is clear: almost 5,000 American troops have died, more Americans than died on 9/11. Of course, they are the type of Americans for whom Cheney hasn't much use as he declared rather dramatically when he achieved no less than five draft deferments during the Vietnam War.

Third--and here comes the blistering fact--when Cheney claims that if President Obama stops "the Cheney method of interrogation and torture", the nation will be in danger, he is perverting the facts once again. But in a very ironic way.

My investigations have revealed to me--vividly and clearly--that once the Abu Ghraib photographs were made public in the Spring of 2004, the CIA, its contractors, and everyone else involved in administering "the Cheney methods of interrogation", simply shut down. Nada. Nothing. No torture or harsh techniques were employed by any U.S. interrogator. Period. People were too frightened by what might happen to them if they continued.

What I am saying is that no torture or harsh interrogation techniques were employed by any U.S. interrogator for the entire second term of Cheney-Bush, 2005-2009. So, if we are to believe the protestations of Dick Cheney, that Obama's having shut down the "Cheney interrogation methods" will endanger the nation, what are we to say to Dick Cheney for having endangered the nation for the last four years of his vice presidency?

Likewise, what I have learned is that as the administration authorized harsh interrogation in April and May of 2002--well before the Justice Department had rendered any legal opinion--its principal priority for intelligence was not aimed at pre-empting another terrorist attack on the U.S. but discovering a smoking gun linking Iraq and al-Qa'ida.

So furious was this effort that on one particular detainee, even when the interrogation team had reported to Cheney's office that their detainee "was compliant" (meaning the team recommended no more torture), the VP's office ordered them to continue the enhanced methods. The detainee had not revealed any al-Qa'ida-Baghdad contacts yet. This ceased only after Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi, under waterboarding in Egypt, "revealed" such contacts. Of course later we learned that al-Libi revealed these contacts only to get the torture to stop.

There in fact were no such contacts. (Incidentally, al-Libi just "committed suicide" in Libya. Interestingly, several U.S. lawyers working with tortured detainees were attempting to get the Libyan government to allow them to interview al-Libi....)

Less important but still busting my chops as a Republican, is the damage that the Sith Lord Cheney is doing to my political party.

He and Rush Limbaugh seem to be its leaders now. Lindsay Graham, John McCain, John Boehner, and all other Republicans of note seem to be either so enamored of Cheney-Limbaugh (or fearful of them?) or, on the other hand, so appalled by them, that the cat has their tongues. And meanwhile fewer Americans identify as Republicans than at any time since WWII. We're at 21% and falling--right in line with the number of cranks, reprobates, and loonies in the country.

When will we hear from those in my party who give a damn about their country and about the party of Lincoln?

When will someone of stature tell Dick Cheney that enough is enough? Go home. Spend your 70 million. Luxuriate in your Eastern Shore mansion. Shoot quail with your friends--and your friends.

Stay out of our way as we try to repair the extensive damage you've done--to the country and to its Republican Party.

-- Lawrence Wilkerson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheney.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	1419  

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I know after listening to Nancy Pelosi yesterday flailing around like a turtle on her back I feel safer.

Comedy gold I tell you. What a hyp-o-crite.

Old 05-15-2009   #3

Little Village, Colorado
Hmm, not addressing the Cheney Tour de Torture by pointing out Pelosi's awkward flailing is, uh, interesting. That said, I never liked Pelosi and like her even less these days. If she's shown to be a liar, which can easily be said about Cheney, I will lose what tiny tidbits of respect I had for her. It should be noted that former Sen. Bob Graham (someone for whom I have a great deal of respect ) is backing up Pelosi's claims of not being briefed on waterboarding. Neither was he.
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riparian View Post
Hmm, not addressing the Cheney Tour de Torture by pointing out Pelosi's awkward flailing is, uh, interesting. That said, I never liked Pelosi and like her even less these days. If she's shown to be a liar, which can easily be said about Cheney, I will lose what tiny tidbits of respect I had for her. It should be noted that former Sen. Bob Graham (someone for whom I have a great deal of respect ) is backing up Pelosi's claims of not being briefed on waterboarding. Neither was he.
Two sides of the same coin my friend but at least Dick is out in the open about it.
Old 05-15-2009   #5

Little Village, Colorado
Well, it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. It's reasonable to say at this point that Pelosi's credibility is severely compromised. Time will tell if it's fatally damaged. The GOP senses weakness and is pouncing with great enthusiasm.
Old 05-15-2009   #6
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Pelosi is not a good public speaker and may be a liar, but I agree with her in that the GOP is using ""diversionary tactics to take the spotlight off of those who conceived and developed and implemented these [interrogation] policies." Not only is Cheney a liar, but he continues to defend torture which, if the case must be made, makes him the worse of the two.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #7

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
She called the CIA a bunch of liars... that's just great! Why is Leon P, so quiet, maybe he knows the truth? She sucks big time... I give her about a month at best. I love watching this whole "lib" thing fall apart. I'd bet the closing of Gitmo is reconsidered and delayed by Obama very soon. Easy to talk shit about policies you have no clue about... much more difficult to act.

As far as this article go's, so what? This is a complete circle that includes both parties.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #8

timbuktu, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
Pelosi is not a good public speaker
HMMM.... she's the SPEAKER of the House of Representatives of the United States of America? I think being a good public speaker is part of the job! She was lying, it's difficult to lie even when you don't have a honest bone in your body.
Old 05-15-2009   #9

Little Village, Colorado
Yarm, the CIA never has lied before? Really? Please. (Recall the famous "slam dunk"...)

As far as your obituary on the "lib thing" goes, I'd call that premature exclamation.

Let's be clear: torture was the brainchild(-fart?) of Cheney's office. It was done before the Justice lawyers like Yoo got busy cooking up a lame rationalization. As to who else knew what, when... stay tuned.
Old 05-15-2009   #10

timbuktu, Colorado
I'm not saying they have never lied before... I'm just saying I would not want to be Nancy Pelosi right now. Unless she's as squeaky clean as she pretends! Not the group of people any politician really wants to piss off. There are also those in her own party that would like nothing more than to see her gone.

As far as the "lib" thing go's... let's touch base again in the fall after the water is gone. I will be interesting to hear your thoughts then.