Debate or not to debate... - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-26-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Debate or not to debate...

John McCain REVERSED himself after launching a bizarre debate boycott so he could "work" on the bailout package... that he wasn't remotely involved with. He bullied his way into a White House meeting IN WHICH HE SAID NOTHING and postured idiotically as an "in charge" kinda Mavericky guy.

America LAUGHED at his lame-o posturing. 60% of Americans polled said the debate should go on as planned, 22% said the debate should be postponed, and the balance weren't sure what a debate was.

This "bold" move (or "home run" as Theo called it) turned out to be a complete flop, and McCain FLIP-FLOPPED his boycott position and agreed to debate.

To most Americans, it looked like McCain was trying to bail out of another flaming plane. Instead, he has decided to crash land on November 5.

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Ds i don't know about you but how about they get back to work! im sick of this debate bull shit whos dick is bigger. the problems are not being solved people. they both have a chance to help solve a problem together and you want them to debate steve. way to go lets debate and ignore the problems some more.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
Mike - neither candidate was involved in the bailout negotiations. Their presence is a distraction. McCain was trying to hold to debate hostage to force a quick resolution to the bailout. I like it that the Republicans are saying, "whoa, not so damned fast" to this crap that Bush is trying to ram down Americans' throats. Something needs to be done about the crisis, but it needs to be done carefully. The stakes are enormous and Bush's plan has been completely rejected by voters. Glad to see the Republicans finally telling Shrub to f-off. About damned time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
durango steve if either are president wouldn't it be a good idea that they know what the fuck is going on? you bitch about palin going to international countries and when something important comes up with the presidential candidates good damn right they should be there its our future bra. fix a problem before you make more of them.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
I absolutely think they both should know what's going on. One of them is going to inherit this trainwreck and they better know what to do. Rest assured that they are being kept completely up-to-date about the negotiations, which are of course highly political. Injecting presidential election politics into those negotiations just adds another unneeded layer of politics.

Neither candidate will help the negotiations along. Their presence only complicates them. I want Congress to get this right. It's a fucking mess, and no "solution" is going to be perfect, but they need to take their time. You're right: our future is at stake. It's a huge deal.
Old 09-26-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Looks like Huckabee is easing himself off the McCain ST Express and looking to make his play for 2012:
Huckabee Calls McCain Debate Ploy a ‘Huge Mistake’ - America’s Election HQ
MOBILE, Ala. — Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said Thursday that Sen. John McCain made a “huge mistake” by even discussing canceling the presidential debate with Sen. Barack Obama.

McCain’s campaign has said the Republican wouldn’t participate in the Mississippi debate Friday unless there was a consensus on the financial crisis, but Obama still wants the debate to go on.

Huckabee defeated McCain in the Alabama GOP primary in February.

Huckabee said Thursday in Mobile that the people need to hear both candidates. He said that’s “far better than heading to Washington” to huddle with senators.

He said the candidates should level with the people about the financial crisis and say the “heart of this is greed.”

Huckabee said he still backs McCain’s candidacy, but said the Arizona senator should not have put his campaign on hold to deal with the financial crisis on Wall Street. He said a president must be prepared to “deal with the unexpected.”

“You can’t just say, ‘World stop for a moment. I’m going to cancel everything,”‘ Huckabee said.

Huckabee also was critical of President Bush’s handling of the crisis.

He said to lay the $700 billion obligation on the nation “in 24 hours” amounts to “holding the country hostage.”

“I just think the American people ought to be screaming their lungs out, saying to Congress, not so fast. That’s our money you’re giving away,” Huckabee said.

He said the burden of the $700 billion relief package will fall on the next generation and those in their teens and 20s.

Huckabee spoke to reporters before attending a benefit for the Baptist-affiliated University of Mobile. Huckabee is an ordained Southern Baptist minister.

While in Mobile, he also played a little blues guitar with a student group.

Since losing his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, Huckabee said he has formed a political action committee and advises other candidates.

“I don’t have any immediate plans to seek office,” he said.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #7

Golden, Colorado
Huckabee was the only candidate beside Paul, both democrat and republican, who seemed like he had any clue on the economy during the debates.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Well, no need to show up. McCain already has declaired victory at the debate.

Ex-Adviser: McCain "Blinked," Campaign "Governed By Tactics, Not Ideology"

Blutz, yep, Schroeders did desecrate your house. I think they left it in your window for you.

-d
Old 09-26-2008   #9

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
If you ask me the Rep. blew up the negotiations yesterday so McCain doesn't have to do the debate, which is widely considered a weak point of his.
Old 09-26-2008   #10

the fort, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
If you ask me the Rep. blew up the negotiations yesterday so McCain doesn't have to do the debate, which is widely considered a weak point of his.
if mccain was smart, he'd just skip the debate and ask to hold the election right now to save face. his numbers aren't going to get any better between now and nov 4th, as new polls out today show even more states that were very solid red turning purple and some even turning a light shade of blue, regardless of the polling source or party lean. maybe 300 isn't insurmountable.....