Coronavirus Thread - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2020   #61

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
And on the lighter side; Why are Americans hoarding toilet paper? Because whenever somebody coughs or sneezes in public half the people near them shit themselves.

jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020   #62

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls View Post
Yes. Symptoms range from being asymptomatic to death.

A scientific theory is an explanation that can be repeatedly tested and verified using scientific method. Heliocentrism and gravity are both theories.

Go to YouTube and type in Italian ICU and some good videos should pop up for you. It may help you understand a little better. One large difference between the US and Italy is that the US has less physicians and hospital beds per capita (per person).
I just watched about 15 minutes of Italian ICU footage. Sad.

While the video did not show dying, it is easy to imagine that this is a lonely way to end life, with no comforting family by your side and one by one adjacent patients passing away with what you have. Not even a TV set where you can watch Attenborough and listen to Beethoven's 6th.

GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020   #63

Golden, Colorado
Wiki: Science (from the Latin word scientia, meaning "knowledge")[1] is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.

If you dwell to long on science as theories, you might as well consider "Existence Theory" which simplifies to "nothing is real" outside the mind which verges on perhaps we exist only in a singular mind. Weird stuff that gets to close to the concept of a god for my simple mind to ponder.

I think certain mind sets prefer to call science nothing more than theories because that makes it easier to say "my (unscientific) theory is as good as your (scientific) theory". For example, it allows them to say "climate change" is just theory. It also allows some to coin the term "creation theory" and allows them to equate it to "evolution". And finally, that religious "faiths" are a higher understanding of the universe than science(theories) because the existence of god is unquestionable. Just saying.

If you really want to ponder science consider reading Bill Bryson's "Seeing Further, The story of science, discovery and the genius of the Royal Society".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020   #64

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
One thing that I heard was that in Italy they put out a call for I-pads so that the dying could skype with their family. Hopefully we won't get to that point here.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020   #65

C. Springs, Colorado
Check this story out. I do not know the guy and came across this on another discussion board.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1357907934
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020   #66

C. Springs, Colorado
This is a webinar put out by a member of the National Speleological Society. Dr. Barton is one of the leading microbiologists in the study of White Nose Syndrome and wrote the decon protocols we as cavers use today to prevent the spread of this disease among the nations bat populations. I've had the pleasure of caving with her back in her college days and have enjoys several of her talks on the subject at our national caving conventions. She is very good at explaining microbiology in a way that even I can understand. I hope you find this as interesting and informative as I have. It's a little long but well worth the watch. Enjoy and wear your mask!!

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020   #67

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's a good rundown on the BS that's spreading on the Interwebs:

Coronavirus Myths and Mythconceptions
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020   #68

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
So this whole social distancing thing was never to prevent infections but to slow the rate and flatten the curve. Have we done to good a job? Shouldn't more people be getting infected and recovering?

There are 5.759MM people in CO and according to CDPHE only 6,893 people have had the virus, that's .12%. The CDPHE number is likely understated as most people who contract this virus will not have strong enough symptoms to seek testing or medical help, to be realistic lets say that that 6,893 number represents 30% of the actual infections giving us a more probable number of cases at 23,000 actual infections. That 23K still only represents .4% of the population who has been exposed. If this social distancing model actually works, what happens to the remaining 5,736,000 Coloradans who still have no immunity when we come out of hiding?

Of the 4 hospitals in a 50 mile radius of my home, there are a total of 5 patients in the Covid care units. They didn't get overwhelmed just the opposite, they didn't see enough people, and not enough of the population was exposed and built antibodies.

You shot your wad on a dumb idea that didn't solve any problem and destroyed the economy. I cant wait to see what the next Bovine Excrement idea is.
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020   #69

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
So this whole social distancing thing was never to prevent infections but to slow the rate and flatten the curve. Have we done to good a job? Shouldn't more people be getting infected and recovering?

There are 5.759MM people in CO and according to CDPHE only 6,893 people have had the virus, that's .12%. The CDPHE number is likely understated as most people who contract this virus will not have strong enough symptoms to seek testing or medical help, to be realistic lets say that that 6,893 number represents 30% of the actual infections giving us a more probable number of cases at 23,000 actual infections. That 23K still only represents .4% of the population who has been exposed. If this social distancing model actually works, what happens to the remaining 5,736,000 Coloradans who still have no immunity when we come out of hiding?

Of the 4 hospitals in a 50 mile radius of my home, there are a total of 5 patients in the Covid care units. They didn't get overwhelmed just the opposite, they didn't see enough people, and not enough of the population was exposed and built antibodies.

You shot your wad on a dumb idea that didn't solve any problem and destroyed the economy. I cant wait to see what the next Bovine Excrement idea is.
You are declaring victory, over what? A virus that doesn't give a shit what you think? Over people who don't care what you think?

What I said to you Noah is if things turned out better than projections that all I will feel is "RELIEF".

If not this contagion but perhaps the next that results in millions of dead; how will you feel on your deathbed thinking "well I guess I was wrong" as you take your last suffering breath.

We are on our 40 yard line and you claim victory when there are many 15 yard penalties ahead such as opening this country up to early.

Coaching from the bleachers is easy. I'm just glad you are up in the nose bleed seats.
Old 04-12-2020   #70

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
You are declaring victory, over what? A virus that doesn't give a shit what you think? Over people who don't care what you think?

As I said, if things turned out better than projections that all I will feel is "RELIEF".

If not this contagion but perhaps the next that results in millions of dead; how will you feel on your deathbed thinking "well I guess I was wrong" as you take your last suffering breath.

We are on our 40 yard line and you claim victory when there are many 15 yard penalties ahead such as opening this country up to early.

Coaching from the bleachers is easy. I'm just glad you are up in the nose bleed seats.

You lack all reading comprehension, surprising for a guy who is an expert at EVERYTHING
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote