Coronavirus Thread - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2020   #51

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolson View Post
In general, the objective of scientific endeavor is to create models and predictions. Some are better than others, no doubt. Predicting the future is notoriously difficult, and usually subject to large uncertainties. However, it can be done. For example, I can predict what will happen if you add water to concentrated sulfuric acid (this is science capable of predicting the future).

However, to reject models and predictions validity outright is nothing but anti-science. Yes, anyone has a right to be anti-science. But in my opinion, being anti-science disqualifies someone from legitimate debate in a science field. This is essentially what actually happens to charlatans that actually try to work in science.

It is basically the exact same thinking of climate change deniers. I don't even try to reason, because this mentality bases their opinions on beliefs rather than reason.

I also know that some 'believers' might come back with strongly worded, probably name calling defenses of your right to believe as you will. Or you will claim that I improperly characterized your argument. But if I got under your skin by my comments then you need to question your own rationality.

In science it's just a theory until all the unknown (assumptions) prove out. Lot's of scientific theories are wrong, like the graph of this pandemic and manmade global warming.

Ron, you know why no one takes you seriously, because you can't put aside your own biases to have a rational thought. Your world view is an absolute that cant be challenged, even by facts, you ether ignore them or use false logic to rationalize them away.

noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020   #52

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
In science it's just a theory until all the unknown (assumptions) prove out. Lot's of scientific theories are wrong, like the graph of this pandemic and manmade global warming.

Ron, you know why no one takes you seriously, because you can't put aside your own biases to have a rational thought. Your world view is an absolute that cant be challenged, even by facts, you ether ignore them or use false logic to rationalize them away.
Sorry Noah, you have no comprehension of science. Science is not "theory", it is a continuous process of refining knowledge. It is a building block process with each block always reviewed, analyzed and accepted in part or whole only after careful consider of each block by likely thousands of other scientist. However, obviously, you'd have no knowledge of that scientific process.

The only people not taken seriously are people acting on faith of only their own belief system. You have never offered any backing source of information other than what you think which you call "basic logic". You likely have never been to Europe but you declare Italy backward, you claim this bugs lethality is essentially a hoax never siting a credible source or reference and frankly you are a waste of time. But, I'm happy to continue to pick you apart because you represent a failure of logic and the greatest impediment to progress in our society and human culture.

Sorry Bro, till now I've avoided being totally honest with you but you begged for it.

Ron
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020   #53

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Noah, if I'm wrong I will feel relieved. What will you feel if you are wrong?
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020   #54

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
Thanks for the data Noah. Actually, in science it's all theory, period. The notion that when you close a circuit in the light switch and the bulb lights up the room? Theory. That when you press the accelerator and your car goes? Theory. And so on.

Here's the "theory" we're working with right now:

Gotta run,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020   #55

Jenks, Oklahoma
GeoRon, with respect from me for sure, to those two rafters.

You Posted: Please realize, we are running the Ledge Hole in Lava at the WRONG FLOW, in the WRONG RAFT, and CERTAINLY THE WRONG RAFT CAPTAIN

I think you or the raft captain made their decision and you are correct in your realization. The raft captain made their decision, looks like hit their line, and paid the price for what ever went wrong. Or maybe the raft captain was looking for a bit more excitement.

For me, whomever the raft captain was and what their decision process was, I admire the fact they took a line (looks like on purpose) that is impressive, a line I would not take in any raft I have owned. From looking at the video, what a hole ride the raft took and I am sure glad the boaters did not get hurt.

On the other hand, a really nice video and thanks for sharing.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020   #56

Defiance, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Thanks for the data Noah. Actually, in science it's all theory, period. The notion that when you close a circuit in the light switch and the bulb lights up the room? Theory. That when you press the accelerator and your car goes? Theory. And so on.

Here's the "theory" we're working with right now:

Gotta run,

-AH

Ah, no. There are scientific theories that are in turn tested. Some are proven to be true and then they become fact. For example by applying 1.21 GW of power to a flux capacitor and obtaining a speed of 88 MPH you can travel through time. But more seriously, it's not a theory that the world is flat, it is a fact, science?

Just by viewing your graphic it looks not to be holding up to scientific data, the infection rate is wrong.
Old 03-28-2020   #57

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Do you have it? Good chart to tell if it's just a cold....

Here's a good graphic to help figure out if the crappy way you feel is just a cold or flu, or COVID-19.

Looks like one of the big differentiators is shortness of breath.

Here's the soruce article: Siouxsie Wiles: How testing for Covid-19 works
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020   #58

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Nine months from now, I think a lot of little new one's are going to pop out. I wonder what their names are going to be?
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020   #59

Defiance, Colorado
So what if I have; Dry Cough, no fever, slightly runny nose that dries up, slightly sore throat, breathlessness, occasional headache, no body ache, sneezing, no fatigue, and no diarrhea?

Can you have this thing with no fever?
Old 03-28-2020   #60

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Yes. Symptoms range from being asymptomatic to death.

A scientific theory is an explanation that can be repeatedly tested and verified using scientific method. Heliocentrism and gravity are both theories.

Go to YouTube and type in Italian ICU and some good videos should pop up for you. It may help you understand a little better. One large difference between the US and Italy is that the US has less physicians and hospital beds per capita (per person).
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote