Colorado mountain biking towns - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2016   #1

Atlanta, Georgia
Colorado mountain biking towns

I am flying into colorado next week, and I plan to go mountain biking for about 3 days. I am hoping I can stay in/near a town that has affordable bike rentals, and lots of nearby trails. Preferably with free camping nearby. Any recommendations?

sull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Fruita
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Fruita is probably your best bet with the weather the way it is right now. Other good options include Cortez (Phil's World) and Salida. Excellent riding on the front range too if it's dry.... Pueblo Reservoir south shore trails are always dry.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016   #4

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Fruita x2
T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #5

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Eagle, Better variety of trails but much more vert to climb but the down hills are well worth it. Also Avon has some great trails and is quietly becoming a mountain biking destination.
All just depends on what your looking for, Fruita is always great but a little tame for some.
JTB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTB88 View Post
Eagle, Better variety of trails but much more vert to climb but the down hills are well worth it. Also Avon has some great trails and is quietly becoming a mountain biking destination.
All just depends on what your looking for, Fruita is always great but a little tame for some.
but, can he ride the good trails at Eagle or Avon next week?...
Old 04-30-2016   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Its snowing, and raining, and hailing and dumping from Parachute to the Divide. Fruita is probably your best bet, but trail reports are iffy even now, it's been down right soggy and people are getting cranky about the trails. Call Grand Junction bike shops to line out rentals and trail reports and projections - that's their bread and butter, and they'll be happy to help. FYI, we bailed on a Fruita trip this weekend due to the weather.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016   #8

Atlanta, Georgia
In the event that it is rainy in frutia, could I head for higher elevation and ride a fat tire bike on snowpack? I have no experience with fat tire bikes or riding on snow, but is that a reasonable option if everything at a lower elevation is slush?
sull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sull View Post
In the event that it is rainy in frutia, could I head for higher elevation and ride a fat tire bike on snowpack? I have no experience with fat tire bikes or riding on snow, but is that a reasonable option if everything at a lower elevation is slush?
Yes and no. If you want to get on a fat bike you will be able to, but the high elevation single track doesn't get ridden in winter... it's just too difficult to try and break trail in 3 ft of powder. Most fat bikes get ridden on roads that are gated and closed for the season.

Where are you flying into, and what dates will you be here? It's supposed to be in the 70's Thursday and Friday, which leads me to believe the snow will have melted and low elevation trails will be dry. There is supposed to be another storm coming in next weekend though. The Pueblo trails I mentioned earlier are about as likely as anything to be dry, and it's a good place to spend a day riding. Another option that is a pretty sure bet to be dry are the Oil Well Flats trails at Canon City. They are newly designed and I haven't rode them, but I have heard nothing but good things. Salida is probably a 50/50 chance of being dry, and there is a healthy variety of riding in the Salida Mountain Trails system. Colorado Springs also has some excellent riding.

Those would be were I would look at riding if your flying into DIA. If you are going to be on the West Slope (Grand Junction) I would look at Fruita, Cortez, Durango and Moab.
Old 05-01-2016   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Raining and snowing in Salida all week, trails will need a few days to dry out once it stops. It could be good to go next week but only the trails near town, of which there are plenty to keep you busy for 3 days.

They ride all winter in Leadville, track down info from the local shops there. Tons of packed trails around the mine district.

Best bets for dry areas is in lower elevations of the west part of the state like Fruit/Kokipelli/Moab.
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote