Chaiten Volcano video - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-26-2009   #1
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Chaiten Volcano video

BBC NEWS | Americas | Chile volcano eruption continues

guess this thing is still going.

good thing bobby jindal is not the president of chile (or govenor of oregon, washington, wyoming, hawaii, alaska, etc).

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009   #2

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
BBC NEWS | Americas | Chile volcano eruption continues

guess this thing is still going.

good thing bobby jindal is not the president of chile (or govenor of oregon, washington, wyoming, hawaii, alaska, etc).
I assume you are somehow relating Jindal to Katrina or some other BS? In case you are not aware, the governor at the time of Katrina, was Kathleen Blanco a democrat. Jindal has received a great amount of praise for his handling of last summer's hurricane season.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Nah- Mania was taking a shot at Jindal's mocking of volcano monitoring research being a ridiculous expenditure. In actuality, it's $140M dedicated to a host of other things, volcanic and seismic included:

Quote:
For an additional amount for ''Surveys, Investigations, and Research'', $140,000,000, for repair, construction and restoration of facilities; equipment replacement and upgrades including stream gauges, and seismic and volcano monitoring systems; national map activities; and other critical deferred maintenance and improvement projects.
It's a typical Republican response to what they see as 'earmarks' to 'waste your tax dollars'. Remember when they mocked some 'beetle study earmarks as a pet project for some Colorado Dem' in a budget package last year? Everyone on this site knows how damaging and dangerous the pine beetle has been to Colorado's forests. Volcanic and seismic monitoring can have a much greater impact than $140M in costs, if activity isn't detected early.

Now, I personally believe that maybe this should be funded elsewhere than a stimulus bill to create jobs.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009   #4

timbuktu, Colorado
EF... my bad, just assumed, I missed the reference.

I'm a big believer in funding this kind of work. Although I doubt any amount of study regarding the beetle kill would have a substantial result. The problem is beyond our ability to change the end result.

I'm confident that if you ask Jindal if he supports the funding for montoring of volcanic and seismic activity, his answer would be a definative "yes". The issue, is all of the non-stimulus spending in the a bill, sold as pure stimulus. Most rational people including Republicans understand the importance of funding science.
Old 02-26-2009   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmonymatoid View Post
I'm confident that if you ask Jindal if he supports the funding for montoring of volcanic and seismic activity, his answer would be a definitive "yes". The issue, is all of the non-stimulus spending in the a bill, sold as pure stimulus. Most rational people including Republicans understand the importance of funding science.
I'm not so sure- he made it a point to single out this part of the bill.
During his response to President Obama's address to Congress, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal singled out "$140 million for something called 'volcano monitoring' " as an example of out-of-control federal spending. "Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington, D.C.," Jindal said.
That's an intentional attempt to score a point. Now, it would sure be interesting if that same line item shows to also be applicable to hurricane or levee monitoring equipment funding, or flood elevation data. And it could - I know for a fact that new flood elevation data is very high on the government's shopping list post-katrina, because their elevation models are old and very inaccurate. I imagine that Jindal would be ticked off some governor from the Northwest, whose area is threatened by volcanoes, got on television and started mocking 'hurricane monitoring'.

But yeah- unless they can show that it creates a stimulative effect on jobs, it should go into a regular budget and weighed against all other funding priorities.

And I'm sorry; the GOP's record on funding science is pretty woeful. And some of the Religious Right (a large faction of the Party) are downright anti-science, as evidenced just yesterday by Dave Schultheis, R-Colorado Springs. Although his statement is a little anti-human, too....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #6

timbuktu, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post

And I'm sorry; the GOP's record on funding science is pretty woeful. And some of the Religious Right (a large faction of the Party) are downright anti-science, as evidenced just yesterday by Dave Schultheis, R-Colorado Springs. Although his statement is a little anti-human, too....

Once again you are sadly mislead my friend...

FORA.tv - Neil deGrasse Tyson: The Pluto Files
Old 02-26-2009   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Tyson actual says that Bush's policies were in line with the fundamentalist christians that made up his base and got him elected. Well, that group is most definitely against science. How else can you believe the earth is only 8000 years old, that we walked with dinosaurs, and angels walk the earth?

He also skips over bush's and the right's denial and blatant attempt to mislead the public at large on global warming. Nor does he say anything about the roll back on clean water provisions that will allow higher concentrations of heavy metals like mercury, all against the science on the subject.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #8

timbuktu, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
Tyson actual says that Bush's policies were in line with the fundamentalist christians that made up his base and got him elected. Well, that group is most definitely against science. How else can you believe the earth is only 8000 years old, that we walked with dinosaurs, and angels walk the earth?

He also skips over bush's and the right's denial and blatant attempt to mislead the public at large on global warming. Nor does he say anything about the roll back on clean water provisions that will allow higher concentrations of heavy metals like mercury, all against the science on the subject.

I know what it actually said, I posted the damn thing...

I like how you just take the global warming story as fact... did it ever occur to you that the global warming fanatics have a stake in the business? There is good science that disputes the theory. The Republicans are against knee jerk reactions and putting in place regulations that hurt American business. It's pretty obvious that the earth is heating up, it's not a fact that we are the cause, it is one of the theory's.

From The Duke: The truth about global warming and CO2
Old 02-26-2009   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
If you want to talk about knee-jerk reactions, look at what you just posted. Nowhere was I saying global warming is absolutely the cause of man. I said that bush and the right did their best to mislead the public against the science. Furthermore, they threw science out the window if it did not agree with corporate interests in clean water and clear air. That is beyond debate and if you do not like it, get over it.

It is the end of February and already there is no snow at 10,000 feet in way too many places. Whether or not we caused it, we are not helping the situation with green house gases. If your bleeding, you do not say, I donít believe Fred cut me, it was nature that cut me so I will not do anything. No you go for a bandage or other means to stem the loss of blood. The fact is that the earth is warming and we should try to reduce our contribution to the problem. The ostrich was the last administration, thankfully gone.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #10

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
In his, er, "response" to Obama's powerful speech to the joint session of Congress, Bobby "Mr. Rogers" Jindal told a heartwarming story about how in the Katrina aftermath, he stood shoulder-to-shoulder with a Louisiana sheriff to fight gubment bureaucrats to let volunteers in private boats get out and save stranded people. Jindal was establishing his credentials as a red-tape cutting realist.

Well, it turns out none of what Bobbie "The Exorcist" Jindal, the poster boy for the loony tunes right, said was true. Jindal was in Baton Rouge at the time of the sheriff's rescue efforts. He lied. He was nowhere near New Orleans. Jindal is considered the GOP's great presidential hope for 2012. Cool, huh?

Tags
volcano