Cell Phone / Calling & Data Plan Shopping Questions - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 10-01-2009   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Cell Phone / Calling & Data Plan Shopping Questions

My wife and I are shopping around for new cellphones and something like a calling plan with internet/email, along with a smart phone like a Blackberry Curve 8330 for business applications (email, GPS, etc.). We don't do a lot of texting, and will need about about 3500/month anytime minutes.

Any recommendations on how to get a package that'll be less than the $210/month for a shared plan that I'm hearing from Sprint and Verizon?

Any recommendations for ATT and T-Mobile?

Thanks,

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Check out the new HTC Touch Pro2. It is offered through Verizon. I just got it last week and am VERY happy with it. Much better web browsing than the Blackberrys (using friends') and heads and shoulders better than my old Trio. It comes with Explorer and Opera. In opera you can view full web pages and zoom in and out. I like that you have the option between the slide out qwerty keyboard and using the touchscreen (similar to the iPhone). My firm requires a windows based phone, so I'm limited with options. I haven't been impress with any of the offering until this came out two weeks ago.

I'm partial to Verizon in terms of coverage and have had bad experiences with AT&T years ago otherwise, I'd probably have an iPhone. This is the closest thing you will find to that... so far it is great.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #3

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Andy,
Don't get an iPhone, because if you do, you will like it so much that soon you will be throwing away all the PC stuff you have and getting all new Mac stuff.

It might cost a bit, but once you go Mac, you never go back.
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009   #4
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Get a google voice number. You have to add your email to the Google voice waiting list. 10 days later they will email you an invite. With this you get a local number. Add that number to your my fav's for Verizon or other. Give out this number. Set GV to forward to your cell number.

I cut my minutes from 2100 (shared) to 450.

For more info, look around on the web.
Old 10-02-2009   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
Andy, wife and I recently upgraded from windows smart phones to Blackberrry 8330's from ATT. Really like the BB for email; it's a better interface than windows moblile and "just works". Web browsing and Google maps are good enough, I can look up streamflows, get directions (it knows where I am). Mtn buzz looks like shit on BB, which eliminates that time waster.

We stepped down from 1400 to 750 minutes a month shared based upon actual usage...I think the bill will be about $175/m.

Apples are for people who don't really need to get any work done.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #6

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
That's because they work so good and they are so cool, you can't put them down and then you don't get any work done.
Old 10-02-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Hmmm.... as a Mac user since 1986, and a person in the advertising/graphic design biz, I have to say... nonsense! While I'm not doing nearly enough biz these days, it certainly isn't because of my vastly superior, virus-free, utterly stable OS Mac.
Old 10-02-2009   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Hmmm.... as a Mac user since 1986, and a person in the advertising/graphic design biz, I have to say... nonsense! While I'm not doing nearly enough biz these days, it certainly isn't because of my vastly superior, virus-free, utterly stable OS Mac.
Well dont get too excited about your virus-free platform. Mac OS is very susceptible to bugs and its day will come. I dont think any one of the bug writers have bothered up to this point due to the small amount of Mac users.
Old 10-02-2009   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Well dont get too excited about your virus-free platform. Mac OS is very susceptible to bugs and its day will come. I dont think any one of the bug writers have bothered up to this point due to the small amount of Mac users.
True story. We Macfolk are so few, that the virusfolk find us quaint and uninteresting. The Mac marketshare isn't likely to grow, so unless there are niche evil doers out there, we might remain disease free.
Old 10-03-2009   #10
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
get 2 cans and a long string...tie more strings with cans on and you got a calling circle
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote