Carbide - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Carbide

My daughter and her hubby are going big game hunting starting this weekend. They came over to borrow my old hunting knives(they think they are lucky) and pick up some Carbide for emergency fire starting, just put snow or water(liquid, pee) on Carbide, to create acetylene gas, than add spark, to create a huge flame. It loves blizzard, rain storms and wet conditions, it just creates more gas to start fires. So I did this little experiment with some snow, to share with MB outdoor, cross country skiers, backpackers, etc. I would practice outside and don't get your face too close. I just singed the fuck out of my hair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_205406.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	40341  

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Being former Spec War.... we always used Bugles (chips) or Fritos for the same effect..... Its what I carry in my pack.
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

thornton, Colorado
Outch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubie Jon View Post
Being former Spec War.... we always used Bugles (chips) or Fritos for the same effect..... Its what I carry in my pack.
That method always burnt the hair on my ass, than you would walk funny for a couple of weeks, till things settled down and the hair grew back. But you guys could always take that special treatment, no wonder you all sashayed, whenever you walked, after a field excursion. Once again good luck, have a blast and keep those Bugles and Fritos close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Science!
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
That method always burnt the hair on my ass, than you would walk funny for a couple of weeks, till things settled down and the hair grew back. But you guys could always take that special treatment, no wonder you all sashayed, whenever you walked, after a field excursion. Once again good luck, have a blast and keep those Bugles and Fritos close.
Don't put them up your butt!
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

thornton, Colorado
Just yanking your chain buddy. Aren't you suppose to be getting ready for big game hunting or you waiting till opening day?
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I kinda collect weird lanterns and I have a carbide dropper lamp that I love.
Carbide is cool.
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

thornton, Colorado
Experiment out side..

Hi John, that carbide is dangerous. I put that carbide on the snow ball and went to strike the flint rod into it, my knife kept sliding, so I leaned over the pan to make sure the blade dug into the flint rod, it flamed up into my face. I turned around and my daughter said my hair was glowing and smoking. She said I can't play in the house any more, without adult supervision. Why aren't you up chasing those elk? Hay, she showed me a type of knife by Outdoor Edge called a zip- blade to open the hide up, without digging into the meat or gut. I thought it would be a good rescue river knife because it has no sharp point. They say it would be good to cut seat belts in an emergency situation too. You have any experience with one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	619KjgiyPWL._SY355_.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	40443  
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Yeah, i get banned from playing with cool stuff in the house too. The women at my house have little sense of humor when it comes to flammables, things that go boom or things that smell...

No hunting this year. Wanted to but life got in the way. Yeager didnt get his moose this year.

I am in the process of building another snout. Ill keep you posted.

I've seen those knives. I think ive seen a flip version. Pretty cool. I do use an old havalon with replaceable blades that i love.yeah, im a fan of blunted knives for river stuff. Ive had to cut stuff against skin a few times. Maybe this knife would be perfect.
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

thornton, Colorado
Definitely keep me informed, that's going to be a fun build for you. That reminds me, I have to text Yeager, he texted me last week and never got back with him. Have a nice day, we will stay in touch.

« Colorado's Prop DD | - »