Carbide - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 11-08-2019   #11

Eagle, Colorado
Doe check.... Cow headed back up tomorrow.... its a slog!

Nubie Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019   #12

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Taking your sweet time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubie Jon View Post
Doe check.... Cow headed back up tomorrow.... its a slog!
We have mouths to feed... Congratulations on that doe, go get that Cow. I smell Holliday venison on the dinner table, yum.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019   #13

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Tying this post back to boating - Back in the 70's I shot a nice 5 point on the south rim of the Royal Gorge. Didn't get a kill shot and he dropped over the rim down a REALLY steep gully. About half way down I found him wedged between two boulders. Long story short, I didn't think there was any way i was going to pack meat up to the rim so I drug him down to the river, walked the old intake pipe back to town, got my navy surplus bucket boat and ran the Gorge to pick up the animal. Probably only the second or third time I ever ran the Gorge but it was low and fairly straight forward - except they still had the old intake dam at Sunshine which I had to portage. By the time I got back to town I had a bucket boat of deer soup. Not a pretty sight but saved the meat.
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019   #14

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Why aren't you up chasing those elk? Hay, she showed me a type of knife by Outdoor Edge called a zip- blade to open the hide up, without digging into the meat or gut. I thought it would be a good rescue river knife because it has no sharp point. They say it would be good to cut seat belts in an emergency situation too. You have any experience with one?

These are pretty common in the commercial fishing industry.
https://www.seamar.com/item/GIE34251...K-PLASTIC-TIP/

Newegg.com had CRKT Bearclaws for $20/shipped through Adorama about a year ago.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019   #15

thornton, Colorado
jgrebe, nice execution on recovering your game, that's what we know is a big part of big game hunting and the correct action to do. Archery hunting down by Agular Colorado in the Spanish Peaks area, I downed a good size cow elk and it took me just under three days and eight round trips to pack that baby out, by myself no horses than. Great steaks.
Old 11-10-2019   #16

thornton, Colorado
I have never used the Bearclaw or Zip-BLADE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
These are pretty common in the commercial fishing industry.
https://www.seamar.com/item/GIE34251...K-PLASTIC-TIP/

Newegg.com had CRKT Bearclaws for $20/shipped through Adorama about a year ago.
I have never used eather knife. I was just looking at the design of each knife, the Zip-Blade hand grip places the recurve's blade pointing upward and out where the Bearclaw puts the recurve part of the blade downwards and in, with is handled. I'm just thinking if you take some bow line, flat webbing and fishing line, one at a time and tie it around your leg, than take each knife with its designed hand grip and cutting them free of you leg, which one would work the best. Up and out or down and in, with a natural hand position, in an emergency. That's what I was thinking when I suggested the Zip-Blade for a river rescue knife. I have field dressed a few big game so I understand how the proper grip on a knife is important to safety and ease of the process, in the knives function, plus keeping the blade sharp.