Can you hike Bailey? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-17-2006   #1
gh

pnw, Colorado
Can you hike Bailey?

Are there access issues? Can you hike all or part of it? Its a run I would like to do next year and would enjoy taking the dog out and having a look see, is this possible?

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2006   #2

Denver, Colorado
Not without trespassing issues.
-d
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #3

Denver, Colorado
PS- You should really keep boating topics out of The Eddy. There is a place for that kind of shit elsewhere, stop littering this forum!
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2006   #4

Perhaps it should be moved to the Mountaineering forum, seeing as it is about hiking .

D
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #5

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Lets make a new forum and call it "Can you hike Bailey"
erdvm1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
lol, you guys are on a roll today
Old 10-17-2006   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
GH,

On the Gazeteer look for a trail coming from the south that intersects the river at Crosson's Crossing. I've always approached this from Bailey by continuing down way past the put-in. Gazeteer will show you the way. It's gated up kind of high (if you see a huge diameter steel pipe gate you're in the right place) so it takes an hour just to get to the river, but once you're there, start hiking upstream to see the rapids. Hike on RIVER LEFT where there's a trail. There are signs up river (several miles) when you start getting close to four falls that indicate private property. Don't bother scouting down river from Crosson's as that's all pretty easy boating. Take your fishing pole if the water's low. It's okay fishing, but not great.

If you want to go with me sometime when the water comes down, I'd like to clean out some debris and I'll show you the rapids. It has to be really low though for me to make a cleaning mission worth it (<100). That's COLD water.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #8

Let me know if you go. I might be up for some scouting/cleaning.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #9

If you consider yourself to be a class IV boater (but not sure), you could go into Bailey Canyon at low flows (300 cfs and less) and check out all of the rapids. I've only been down that run once, but I remember that all of the major rapids are easily walkable. There's an old railroad grade through the canyon that is flat that people use to hike around and scout rapids. Some of the major rapids come up on you quickly, so go with someone who knows where rapids like Supermax and Four Falls are located. I hope this helps.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #10

We hiked bailey this last weekend starting from pine valley open space park, running into a homeowner while trying to walk along the river. He was polite and just wanted to know where we were going and what we going to do. I am aware that the boating community does not need any help with negative access issues, so I am posting so maybe somebody else will learn from our mistake.
wwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey