Buy American rant - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-28-2012   #1

welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
Buy American rant

Sorry no pic's here . Thought this would get the most attention . Thought about posting a pic of a cow or bull but I know the buzzards would have a field day.

Now that I have your attention .
I have been concerned about the economy as we all have. we are effected by the politicians making promises while ignore the real issues and nothing is getting done . I would like to make a suggestion for all of us .
REFUSE TO TALK TO CUSTOMER SERVICE IF THEY ARE OUT SIDE OF THE USA
I always ask where they are located and if out side the us I ask to be transfered to the US , If they refuse or hang up on you [which they have ] then go online and find the corp head quarters and call for the ceo of the company. you will usually get an administrative assist but they will get the message .
ALSO BUY AMERICAN
I know that many of the 3 rd world countries are making raft but we many USA companies that make great rafts . And if they are to high buy used .
My last 3 rafts were Jacks Plastic and Marivia.
I know all this sounds like a lot of Bull But we have to start some where and hopefully this will catch on

Think American Hire Americans !!!!

ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
I agree. the dollar is your vote these days. vote wisely.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #3

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
We now live in a global economy, there is no need to be xenophobic about it. The U.S. simply needs to focus on non-production means of income such as product engineering, creating pollution free means of energy production etc.

Buy from whoever isn't exploiting 10 year old kids for pennies per hour sure, but buying everything from the U.S. isn't possible for the average American.
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Please be xenophobic. We can't all be engineers.. I for example suck at math, which is pretty crucial in engineering. Although I am all for creating a diverse and sustainable energy economy. Lets keep the jobs making the stuff our engineers create in this country. We cant have a viable economy where everyone is working working retail, medical or service industry. We need manufacturing jobs here in the USA. Remember back in the day when people used to get paid a living wage to make stuff? Yeah lets get back to that. The only way to accomplish this is to vote with your dollar and buy American, and while you are at it don't buy from American companies that treat their employers poorly.
Old 08-28-2012   #5
GoBro

BZN, Montana
We produce just as much as we always have. We just do it far more efficiently and with less hands on workers. We need to raise the skill of our workforce or be left behind in a global economy.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #6
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
We produce just as much as we always have. We just do it far more efficiently and with less hands on workers. We need to raise the skill of our workforce or be left behind in a global economy.
Maybe, but we consume more than ever. Raising our skill set is a complete joke. We need all types of jobs. We need jobs for the disabled, youth, elderly and so on. Not just jobs for the skilled. The unskilled need work too. If we keep raising the bar for workers, then we will work our childerns jobs down the road. There are more dollors per person in our economy then ever before. We just have become so efficient that the rich don't need to spend on labor. And just who is the front runner in your so called "global economy?" Cuz it aint china. just saying. its us and always has been..
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #7

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I've already planned my next 'Made in Amurica' purchase. If anyone would like to buy it for me, I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a 951 today..

Intense Cycles
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn
That is not even close to being true. The way they calculate it has changed and they are comparing apples to oranges. A consumer based society, with comparably no production, is completely unsustainable. We are seeing the effects now.
Old 08-29-2012   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
How about: Don't tell me what to do. Isn't that the resounding cheer from the angry mob? If I want to buy a shirt made in China then why shouldn't I? Who are you to tell me I should buy local or keep engineering jobs local? Don't we rage against the government when they try to pass laws to keep jobs here, claiming they're putting an undue burden on business owners? Don't you just love that rhetoric?

Look, we need to worry less about where a job is and worry more about the consequences of our actions. If I buy that shirt in China then I contribute to their economy, possibly at the expense of our own. Sure, I can start to rationalize that shirts from China contribute to jobs here or that it's better from China than a sweat shop in Bangladesh, but in reality, even buying "local" isn't just that simple.

How about, rather than "calling and demanding" which translates into the anathema of "telling someone what to do," you look at your own actions and try to contribute to your economy in a positive way. We're somewhat lucky that much the whitewater gear we buy is available from US manufacturers. If, however, I tell you that those same manufacturers purchase products from the global economy, do we call and harass them? Stop buying their products? It's far too complex to stand on a soap box and proclaim that "voting with our dollars" is the answer.

I'll first try to take responsibility for my own actions. Then, maybe, I can suggest some ways to help. Not play the "evil liberal card" and tell you what to do.

Oh, and just to back up my claim, regarding the plastic in boats manufactured in the US? Made from oil:
(select crude oil for just oil imports)
U.S. Crude Oil Imports
Old 08-29-2012   #10
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
Maybe, but we consume more than ever. Raising our skill set is a complete joke. We need all types of jobs. We need jobs for the disabled, youth, elderly and so on. Not just jobs for the skilled. The unskilled need work too. If we keep raising the bar for workers, then we will work our childerns jobs down the road. There are more dollors per person in our economy then ever before. We just have become so efficient that the rich don't need to spend on labor. And just who is the front runner in your so called "global economy?" Cuz it aint china. just saying. its us and always has been..
We will always have all types of jobs, but the global market is moving towards more skilled labor. We are still clearly the economic leaders of the world, but we aren't untouchable, not in the least. Look at the electronics market. We just can't compete in quality or price with Japan, China and Korea. A portion of why we can't compete is disparity is wages, and working conditions. A portion is price fixing through currency devaluation. A portion is a smarter more skilled work force to design and manufacture the pieces.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote