Building a better PRV - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Building a better PRV

So up in another thread, I kinda unleashed my frustration and even all out hatred, of the current pressure relief valves that many of us have to deal with.

I do understand why they exist in an I-Beam style floor, but the problem is,
that they are in a spot where they are constantly plugged with grit and other debris from the river, especially during high water, when the water is turbid, and you need air in your floor the most

Now you can clean the thing, put a screen on it, or plug it and keep an eye on the pressure, like I’ve done for a long time, but you still have problems, or could do something dumb, and explode your floor.

Someone in the other thread compared them to the necessary pita of wheel bearings.
Well, the standard greased bearing now has a better option, the sealed oil filled design. It gets rid of a lot of the problems from before.
We also figured out how to build a better valve for rafts, by replacing the old military valves, with som of the modern ones we have now.
Why couldn’t we do the same with PRVs? Build one that don’t suck?

I think it would be more challenging, but not impossible, if we put our collective heads together. Bet there is a bunch of money, to, for somebody who started making one that doesn’t blow, all your air out when it shouldn’t.

Anyone got ideas?

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

I think a rupture disk would be a good solution. If the pressure is too high the sucker blows and you have to replace it.
jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
I think a rupture disk would be a good solution. If the pressure is too high the sucker blows and you have to replace it.

That was the first thing that came to mind when i was reading the other thread. Some sort of cap that kept it from getting damaged as people step all over it. Carry spares in your repair kit so it was as simple as pulling out the ruptured disk, dropping a new one in, screwing on the protective cap, and blowing up the floor.

happy that the new boat has a drop stitch floor. I guess that is option 2 for Matt, out with the old and in with a drop sttich floor.
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
It needs a small micro processor in it to manage over pressure situations which Bluetooth's to your phone and gives you alerts when the pressure is low and the floor needs air.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
It needs a small micro processor in it to manage over pressure situations which Bluetooth's to your phone and gives you alerts when the pressure is low and the floor needs air.
Haha! With that much technology, gonna have to get rid of the old technology like me, as well!

Maybe a ribbed, drop stitch floor?
Could always just go Cataraft, as well. Whenever I’m in my paddle cat, I always get this happy realization during the trip, that I have no inflatable floor to have to screw with.
The I beam floor really does track nice, though, maybe the solution is to change how we make the things...
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Aire

Aire's standard floor design is a pretty good solution too. The PRV is under the outer hull, so it doesn't get all the crap in it that an exposed PRV does. I've had my boat 15 years now, including trips in the southwest, and have never had to do anything with my PRV. In my previous SOTAR the PRV was a constant point of annoyance, and I'd kind of forgot what a PITA they are until the last couple of trips with a friend who was struggling to keep his floor inflated due to his PRV. There are some other compromises with the standard Aire floor that I've learned to live with, but the PRV benefits are a huge + on the boat balance sheet.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Denver, Colorado
While my inexpensive outlaw with a quirky drop stitch floor has other things to worry about, like stuff getting trapped under the floor if you're careless, you DON'T have to worry about pressure or pressure valves. I have yet to top off or bleed the floor mid-trip. I probably get it up to 6 or 7 at launch and ignore it thereafter.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post

If it streams it all online I wouldn't even need to go to the river.
jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Haha! With that much technology, gonna have to get rid of the old technology like me, as well!
If your going to design or improve on something, you need design perimeters. It's hard to improve on the simplicity of the current relief valve design without coming up with something totally new, improved and the ability to run it from an App you download to your phone. We're talking modern day all the way.

You could incorporate this design into the pressure fill valves and do away with the pressure relief valve altogether. The fill valve could monitor and relieve over pressure situations in your tubes as well as the floor. This would come into play both on and off the water for those traveling over mountain passes with inflated boats or the paddle boat that gets pulled up on the beach at lunch time.

Personally....I doubt I'd ever buy one. I haven't been able to figure out how to download any app's to my flip phone. Any help would be appreciated.....
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
Maybe a ribbed, drop stitch floor?
Could always just go Cataraft, as well. Whenever I’m in my paddle cat, I always get this happy realization during the trip, that I have no inflatable floor to have to screw with.
The I beam floor really does track nice, though, maybe the solution is to change how we make the things...

No PRV's in my dory, and the floor was nice and rigid, too. Oh, and tracked well, and...

I have an idea for how you can radically change things.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote