blame your self - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-23-2009   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
blame your self

the reason why we are at war.......
[edit] Persian Gulf

Further information: Energy policy of the United States and Petroleum politics
An oil power plant in Iraq, which has world's second largest proven oil reserves.[41]

The U.S. currently produces about 40% of the oil that it consumes; its imports have exceeded domestic production since the early 1990s. Since the U.S.'s oil consumption continues to rise, and its oil production continues to fall, this ratio may continue to decline.[42] President George W. Bush has identified dependence on imported oil as an urgent "national security concern".[43]
Two-thirds of the world's proven oil reserves are estimated to be found in the Persian Gulf.[44][45] Despite its distance, the Persian Gulf region was first proclaimed to be of national interest to the United States during World War II. Petroleum is of central importance to modern armies, and the United States—as the world's leading oil producer at that time—supplied most of the oil for the Allied armies. Many US strategists were concerned that the war would dangerously reduce the US oil supply, and so they sought to establish good relations with Saudi Arabia, a kingdom with large oil reserves.[46]
The Persian Gulf region continued to be regarded as an area of vital importance to the United States during the Cold War. Three Cold War United States Presidential doctrines—the Truman Doctrine, the Eisenhower Doctrine, and the Nixon Doctrine—played roles in the formulation of the Carter Doctrine, which stated that the United States would use military force if necessary to defend its "national interests" in the Persian Gulf region.[47] Foreign policy of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#1keep driving and we keep fighting in the region, #2 drill in utah and alaska, #3 don't drive your car.

we as consumers who like to travel grand distances are the reason we are in ireq at the moment.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009   #2
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I'll take door #3.... oh wait public transportation is nonexistent... oh well I'd rather ride my bike anyway
Old 01-23-2009   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Ill be taking door 3 once it stops snowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Because there are really only three options.
Old 01-23-2009   #5

Rotorua, NZ
I hate to rain on your parade mike, but we are already drilling the crap out of utah, take a drive near vernal and you will see, oh wait you want to drill in ANWR? Because that oil will come straight to casper right? its a little tougher to get alaska oil to the states, japan uses a lot, canada buys a lot, and then we get what is left in the pipeline. being in casper you should know that PRB oil is close to you and is still being recovered at economic rates. Exploration in the US is as high as it has been since the scare of the 1970's even with low prices. If you know how to do some alchemy and extract oil shale crude, go right ahead and change the world. i for one have taken the knowledge that i gained working for satan and am doing something about it with geothermal energy soon to be huge in the US. So, instead of pointing your finger and being bitter about the new administration maybe you should use your time more effectively and help come up with some less asinine alternatives.
Oh and by the way even if we did drill all of the Uinta basin and ANWR we could recover about 5.5 BBO (95% probability of reserves) which we would burn through in approximately 250 days with our current US consumption of 22 MMBO/day. So yeah lets screw up all of the utah landscape and alaskan wilderness to make your point
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #6

Bozeman, Montana
just pointing out the major reason we are in war. not because of bush.. also if you weren't such a dunce you would have realized im for # 3 not either of the top 2 choices. which is quit driving. also there was zero finger pointing except at our selves unless you think it was the government right.

is the drilling in utah for gas or oil? and btw drilling is stopping and rigs are laying over all over the place because its not worth the time and money here when we get it from saudi arabia for cheaper. i had a time cut starting this next week and somebody that works in our warehouse was laid off.

everybody is talking about lessening foreign demand but none of you have ideas im just trying to help out. how is geo thermal or wind energy going to get you to the river?
Old 01-23-2009   #7

Rotorua, NZ
Dude, you just love opening cans of worms don't you?
First off, I oversaw completion of 5 OIL wells in the Uinta basin last fall, so there is a lot of oil there already being exploited granted there is a lot of gas exploration but oil is a target of some big dogs in Utah.
geothermal and wind are two totally different animals and I am not an expert on the latter.
However, geothermal in its commercial form can be used for electricity genertation (they jusst opened a 300MW plant here which is almost as big as some gas facilities) and the byproduct of hot fluids can be used for direct heating. How does this help get us to the river you ask? Less crude being used in heating purposes to be put into our gas tanks. Secondly electric engines are way more efficient that combustible, so if we can as a world with the US leading the way move towards electric vehicles then geothermal also has the possibility for vehicles. Some of my colleagues are working on fuel cells that can store enormous amounts of electricity, possibly for future use in vehicle and commercial use ( keep in mind most american trains are in fact diesel electric).
I agree that #3 is a good option though unfeasable in most american minds.
Also everyone needs to stop being so goddamned myopic and looking for THE ONE energy that will save us all, it doesn't exist. Pound for pound hydrocarbons create more energy per unit than all other sources of energy, so a qick fix is out of the question. It is going to take years (probably not in my lifetime and I'm not too viejo) of numerous sources, on and off the grid to move toward sustainability. This will include changing electricity generation sources, transporation methods and overall lifestyle changes. I know someone is gonna call me UnAmerican for saying that we have to change, but these are the facts. When I left my last job to pursue what I beleive to be higher goals I got some flack from the old guard who are stuck in their ways and I am starting to think that America has finally started to realize that there is indeed a need to change the way we do things.
Take this in stride, I don't have the answers though I am trying to look

Paul
Old 01-23-2009   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie View Post
Dude, you just love opening cans of worms don't you?
First off, I oversaw completion of 5 OIL wells in the Uinta basin last fall, so there is a lot of oil there already being exploited granted there is a lot of gas exploration but oil is a target of some big dogs in Utah.
geothermal and wind are two totally different animals and I am not an expert on the latter.
However, geothermal in its commercial form can be used for electricity genertation (they jusst opened a 300MW plant here which is almost as big as some gas facilities) and the byproduct of hot fluids can be used for direct heating. How does this help get us to the river you ask? Less crude being used in heating purposes to be put into our gas tanks. Secondly electric engines are way more efficient that combustible, so if we can as a world with the US leading the way move towards electric vehicles then geothermal also has the possibility for vehicles. Some of my colleagues are working on fuel cells that can store enormous amounts of electricity, possibly for future use in vehicle and commercial use ( keep in mind most american trains are in fact diesel electric).
I agree that #3 is a good option though unfeasable in most american minds.
Also everyone needs to stop being so goddamned myopic and looking for THE ONE energy that will save us all, it doesn't exist. Pound for pound hydrocarbons create more energy per unit than all other sources of energy, so a qick fix is out of the question. It is going to take years (probably not in my lifetime and I'm not too viejo) of numerous sources, on and off the grid to move toward sustainability. This will include changing electricity generation sources, transporation methods and overall lifestyle changes. I know someone is gonna call me UnAmerican for saying that we have to change, but these are the facts. When I left my last job to pursue what I beleive to be higher goals I got some flack from the old guard who are stuck in their ways and I am starting to think that America has finally started to realize that there is indeed a need to change the way we do things.
Take this in stride, I don't have the answers though I am trying to look

Paul
you say you saw five rigs go up last fall. well its 2008 and oil prices plummeted we are no longer paying 4 dollars a gallon. are those rigs still there? crude is not natural gas bro. what heating comes from crud oil?how are we suppose to drive from boulder to utah for a rafing trip on a electric battery?

crude oil has to go to refineries its not the same as a nutural gas pipeline. the only reason mass trans and not driving a car will not work is because we are all lazy bastards. if people tried it would be the most effective form to prevent global warming. no driving no fumes
Old 01-23-2009   #9

Bozeman, Montana
we voted bush, we drive cars, we need oil. simple we are to blame.
Old 01-23-2009   #10

Rotorua, NZ
I said last fall as in 2008 bro even with prices bottomed out drilling in the Uinta is economic at $30 a barrel oil.
yes they are still drilling in the Uinta, and I didn't say rigs, I said wells, big difference, big rigs drill wells, little rigs complete wells and then you flow to your tanks or pipeline.
Do some research, a whole lot of the east coast is heated by... heating oil, also you posted a picture of an oil-fired powerplant so you are calling yourself out by asking what heating comes from crude. I invite you to take a drive on the eastern seaboard and count the oil-fired power plants (there are a lot)

Maybe people like you are to blame for A) trying to argue a point they know very little about B) being a lazy bastard C) talking a whole lot and doing nothing about it

Oh and how are we supposed to drive from Casper to Mineral Bottom with an electric car? Just remember that 50 years ago computer technology was a joke by today's standards; and now we can bitch at each other from 1,000s of miles away

I agree our energy policy sucks

Oh and in case you missed it 2009 arrived about 3 weeks ago