Bipartisanship/reaching across the aisle bull shit. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 11-05-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Bipartisanship/reaching across the aisle bull shit.

I am reading in all the other political post about reaching across the aisle and bipartisan this and that... To the liberal/left-leaning/Democrat/etc., exactly what issues are you willing to meet halfway on?

Global Warming?
Women's rights?
Iraq?
Preemptive war?
Civil Unions/gay rights/bigotry?
Campaign Financing?
Taxes?
Banking Regulation?

Please, tell me what you want to concede?

-d

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Certainly not on supreme court justices! Now the moderate and left leaning justices can retire without the threat of a far right justice replacing them.

How about they can drill all they want off the shores of Texas, Louisiana, Geogia, Mississippi, Alabama and South Carolina. Those states surely do not care if all they see on the coast is a oil rig. But they will have to pay into a spill response team to protect the neighboring states coastlines.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
ah,good point Livingstone ,there is a big difference between a spirit of bipartisanship and the nuts and bolts details being worked out.All you can really do is restore transparency,accountability,and inclusivity to at least the old standards and treat people fairly give them a say in decisions.There is talk of Obama appointing some republicans to cabinet and administrative posts.

As a general rule of thumb I'd like to see a legislative session start out with finding common ground on a few issues to establish a spirit of cooperation and get SOMETHING done before getting into redundant futile highly partisan issues.Instead of all or none all of the time find agreement that represents an improvement to both sides,implement it for a prescribed time ,allow it it to fail or succeed on its own merits,evaluate it after the prescribed time,extend/expand/scrap /or modify in accordance with the results; in short accept the experimental process in government as trial and error from the get go ,that is how it usually plays out anyway.Stop arguing the same shit over and over,compromise on small things and move on,if it doesn't work out fix it then.kinda' vague but a blueprint of sorts.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Third parties gaining influence would broaden the discourse and keep the bigs more honest or reveal their collusion in squashing real democracy[ i know Blutski and Imhowemt you're on to them already}.Would be good and the time is ripe,could get some seats in congress and act as watchdogs,force new ideas to get a hearing.
Old 11-05-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
There is a TON of stuff that can be agreed upon that shouldn't be seen as left or right and which are the TRUE issues that are bringing down our democracy.
  • Upholding the constitution (Who thinks our constitution shouldn't be upheld)
  • Protecting civil liberties (I don't think this is a partisan issue, just an issue between those who like being wire-tapped and those that don't)
  • Reducing corporate control over our government. (Anyone on either side like corporations having more say in the government that we do?)
  • Having congress pass bills on one issue at a time free of pork. (Anyone on either side doesn't see a benefit to this?)
  • Re-establishing sound monetary policy (Who can't agree on this other than the banking cartel)
  • Abolishing the IRS (raise of hands on who thinks the IRS is necessary and doing a good job).
  • Campaign finance reform (Is this a partisan issue?)
  • Non-interventionist foreign policy (I would imagine the right would take exception to this but there are plenty of real republicans (Ron Paul), Libertarians and Constitutionalists who don't want to be the world's police.)
Without addressing these issues first, It won't matter what your stance is on partisan issues like gay marriage, abortion, gun control or global warming. The decision will be made for you by the the corporations and lobbyists that control our government.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Blutz,
This is exactly my point. I think that most of what I've been bitching about for the last 7 years are things that the right is not going to agree with... well, they might now want to remove the Patriot Act now that their guy isn't in control. Habeus corpus, torture, wiretapping, I don't want to meet in the center on this shit, I want it pre-Bush.
Old 11-05-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
good ideas ,if you did away with the IRS you would need to raise revenue by increasing the sales and corporate taxes the constitution stipulates.At least you could localize more of the decisions which I would think is agreeable to both sides.Promoting green technologies and renewable energy seems to be popular with both sides now[been beatin' my head against the wall/ridicule of conservatives for decades],creates jobs,domestic supply,decreased foreign dependence,etc.Dems will have to give in a little ,not much ,on increased domestic fossil fuels/nukes,I favor natural gas as the least harmful environmentally.We 'll see if the oil folks really want to drill ,encourage drilling the leases they already have.Not a fan of coal but maybe a slight production increase is in order .Increased refining capacity? Only with high enviro standards in place,better too conserve and convert to alternatives.Nukes,not a bad possible long term solution, if you controlled the bi-products and had high safety standards but,hard to persuade other nations not to develop theirs when we are increasing ours,too many cons, imo .
Old 11-05-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
There is a TON of stuff that can be agreed upon that shouldn't be seen as left or right and which are the TRUE issues that are bringing down our democracy.
  • Upholding the constitution (Who thinks our constitution shouldn't be upheld)
  • Protecting civil liberties (I don't think this is a partisan issue, just an issue between those who like being wire-tapped and those that don't)
  • Reducing corporate control over our government. (Anyone on either side like corporations having more say in the government that we do?)
  • Having congress pass bills on one issue at a time free of pork. (Anyone on either side doesn't see a benefit to this?)
  • Re-establishing sound monetary policy (Who can't agree on this other than the banking cartel)
  • Abolishing the IRS (raise of hands on who thinks the IRS is necessary and doing a good job).
  • Campaign finance reform (Is this a partisan issue?)
  • Non-interventionist foreign policy (I would imagine the right would take exception to this but there are plenty of real republicans (Ron Paul), Libertarians and Constitutionalists who don't want to be the world's police.)
Without addressing these issues first, It won't matter what your stance is on partisan issues like gay marriage, abortion, gun control or global warming. The decision will be made for you by the the corporations and lobbyists that control our government.
I'm with you... except for the IRS. Gotta be some mechanism for collecting the dough. Could it be improved? Goes without saying. Abolished? What alternative do you propose?
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
You are not going to get a consensus very often but we've got to break up the gridlock .The dems have the numbers now, with a few pivotal senate[REP] swing votes wielding inordinate power [ prediction},to get some things done ,but it also sets them up to take all the blame if things go bad ,they may be fubar already and dems get blamed for things Bush screwed up royally.Some theorize that this was part of the ''shrink gov. small enough to drown it in a bathtub'' Nordquist plan to ruin government by horrible governance,blame those who inherit your mess.Good luck ,Obama,America.
Old 11-05-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
One could certainly argue that Dick "Deficits Don't Matter" Cheney was advancing a "starve the beast" agenda...
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote