Best footwear selection for wet/cold trips - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-19-2018   #1

Durango, Colorado
Best footwear selection for wet/cold trips

We all know foot care is important and footwear selection for good weather and warm water is easy, but let's hear your favorite selection combos to best enjoy your time on the water, camp, and side hikes in less than perfect conditions!

Hunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Cheap rubber black slip on boots. With a neoprene and/or thick wool sock. Perfect for rigging and sitting on the boat when swimming is not in the plan. Back and forth to the rafts at camp. Brought mine to Ecuador to hike in the Amazon with some good foot beds. And they are cheap.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I too would be interested in hearing what people use for side hikes in cold weather when they expect to be in wet conditions. Last year in November I spent 4 days hiking in Coyote Gulch and Escalante Canyon in Utah and I wore cheap trail shoes with neoprene socks. It was uncomfortable (but warm when hiking) and I dreaded putting them back on when they were cold each morning....
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2018   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
... I dreaded putting them back on when they were cold each morning....
Just do like the lumberjacks when they were floating rafts of logs down the the river and their boots would never have a chance to dry out - pour hot water into your booties in the morning right before you put them on (OK, maybe not too hot if they're neoprene...).

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Just do like the lumberjacks when they were floating rafts of logs down the the river and their boots would never have a chance to dry out - pour hot water into your booties in the morning right before you put them on (OK, maybe not too hot if they're neoprene...).

-AH
That's actually a really good idea.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
The goretex socks of my drysuit...with merino wool socks inside and neoprene booties outside? If the air/water are that cold, I'd rather be in my drysuit.

Agree with the suggestion for rubber boots for in camp....especially with footbeds and wool socks.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote