Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008   #4
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
There are two parts to that, which I find objectionable. First is:
Quote:
A tense equipoise currently prevails among the Justices of the Supreme Court, where four hard-core conservatives face off against four moderate liberals.
That belies an otherwise sensible editorial. Not to split hairs, though; I just find it distasteful that my view of constitutional interpretation is seen as "hard core" and those of Bader-Ginsberg et. al are "moderate."

Second, and more importantly:
Quote:
The Presidency of George W. Bush is the worst since Reconstruction
Seriously, it's the worst in the history of this country. Reconstruction and Andrew Jackson pale in comparison.
Old 10-06-2008   #5

More "let's punish the Republicans" for Bush's tyranny. Let's move ahead. Working with the poor, having empathy, and great intelligence sounds like Jimmy Carter to
me. Now, I wouldn't want to punish the Democrats for THAT failed administration.
I'm just as mad as everyone else for having my trust violated in the last 8 years.
I'm just not sure I care about someone's personality or the amount of HOPE they throw around. Talk to me about intentionality!
8lifeGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #6

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lifeGREAT View Post
More "let's punish the Republicans" for Bush's tyranny. Let's move ahead. Working with the poor, having empathy, and great intelligence sounds like Jimmy Carter to
me. Now, I wouldn't want to punish the Democrats for THAT failed administration.
I'm just as mad as everyone else for having my trust violated in the last 8 years.
I'm just not sure I care about someone's personality or the amount of HOPE they throw around. Talk to me about intentionality!
His intentions are to raise discretionary spending by almost 1 Trillion dollars! But will cut taxes on 95% of "regular folks". This is on top of the 1.2 Trillion bailout. Can anyone supporting Obama give me a rational explanation of how he can raise spending by this much and cut taxes for 95% of the population?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #7

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
His intentions are to raise discretionary spending by almost 1 Trillion dollars! But will cut taxes on 95% of "regular folks". This is on top of the 1.2 Trillion bailout. Can anyone supporting Obama give me a rational explanation of how he can raise spending by this much and cut taxes for 95% of the population?
you ignore other "discretionary spending" that will be cut under his administration. you can't cherry pick stuff and expect to be taken seriously. i will say though that he has failed to articulate which of his initiatives will be axed as a result of the bailout being passed.
Old 10-06-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
At the moment, neither candidate is honestly addressing how the current economic meltdown will impact their plans. I expect the audience tomorrow night will try to pin them down. It will be interesting to see if either will actually answer the questions...
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I can't answer that question for you, Mr. C. However, I can say even if Obama wins this election his "Yes, we can!" will quickly turn into.. "Nope, we can't. Sorry, the USA is flat broke. I can't do anything I promised. Sorry."

Why? Well, for starters maybe because he just supported the $700 billion dollar bailout. It's a support that clearly shows his faith and submission to corporate America... which Obama supporters don't seem to want to talk about. But, beyond the bail out is the fact that America is already broke - this bill just tacked on some more insanity - so any changes that the people want most likely are not going to happen.

Quote:
Obama's voting record in the Senate is in line with the corrupt Democratic mainstream, including Biden, who works on behalf of corporations and especially the credit card industry. Obama knows where power lies in the United States. It is not with the citizens, who with ratios of 100 to 1 pleaded with their representatives in Washington not to loot the national treasury to bail out Wall Street investment firms. Power lies with the corporations. These corporations, not us, pick who runs for president. You cannot be a candidate without their blessing and money. These corporations, including the Commission on Presidential Debates, a private corporation, determine who gets to speak and what issues candidates can or cannot challenge, from universal, not-for-profit, single-payer health care to Wall Street bailouts to NAFTA. If you do not follow the corporate script you become as marginal and invisible as Ralph Nader or Bob Barr or Cynthia McKinney.
Dennis Kucinich on the Democrats‚€™ Bailout Betrayal | CommonDreams.org

To go beyond Republicans and Democratics.....

Anybody heard of Neoliberalism? This 1999 article is worth the read. It goes beyond petty partisan politics and takes direct aim at the corporate power structures and their political and economic policies- the same structures that have done an amazing job of destroying American democracy. Neoliberalism may be the very thing we need to dismantle in order to get back to a more just world.

excerpt:

Quote:
...neoliberal democracy in a nutshell: trivial debate over minor issues by parties that basically pursue the same pro-business policies regardless of formal differences and campaign debate. Democracy is permissible as long as the control of business is off-limits to popular deliberation or change; i.e., so long as it isn't democracy.
Noam Chomsky and the Struggle Against Neoliberalism, by Robert W. McChesney
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
It sounds like you need better sources. There are plenty of people breaking down both candidates tax policies and spending plans, but this is probably your best single source:

Tax Policy Center home

Surprise, surprise, both candidates plans result in serious deficit. Most analyses I've seen have McCain with a much worse deficit than Obama. Obama has a bit higher spending (about 286 billion per year vs 211 billion per year), McCain is cutting taxes more and ends up with a higher deficit.

If you don't like looking at the wealth of data from the Tax Policy Center, here is a simple breakdown from CNN:

How McCain and Obama will change your tax bill - Jun. 11, 2008

Both candidates suck, although Obama at least is moving in a better direction on most the critical issues (medicare costs being #1).

If you want to see what economists think of the candidates, the Economist did an unscientific survey where McCain got spanked in every category. The survey has problems in it's methodology for sure (which they freely admit), but the difference is so extreme even with the flaws it's worth looking at.

Examining America's presidential candidates | Examining the candidates | The Economist
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote