Beetle kill wood problems... - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2019   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Beetle kill wood problems...

Anyone have problems using beetle killed trees for fire wood, infecting other trees in their yards. Also my Stihl ms 192 tc chainsaw, 14 inch bar needs to be replaced, I have been told a 12 inch bar would cut faster. Also I picked up a case of Lucas sae 20W-50 marine engine oil, semi synthetic at a garage sale for 5$ (couldn't pass that deal up), should I use it as chainsaw bar oil or use it as an excuse to purchase a motor boat?

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019   #2

Regarding the bar and chain, find your local Oregon dealer and purchase a bar and chain through them. Better quality parts and cut much much faster than Stihl chain. Your current chain is 3/8" "Picco Micro" and either .043" or .050" gauge, with 50 drive links. Oregon speak = 3/8" Low Profile. Oregon has multiple chain options, you can select less or more aggressive, but if you're not used to a high kick back chain on a top handle saw, then caveat emptor.

To prolong bar life, flip it every time you change chains and lube the nose sprocket with quality grease. Oregon makes a nice, simple, no mess grease injector for this purpose.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019   #3

thornton, Colorado
Thanks BGillespie... Oregon bar and chain. I will purchase the grease injector also. I didn't know about the flipping the bar over trick. Will the Lucas oil be ok or should I just pick up regular chain oil? Buyer beware advise is always good, thanks for the head's up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019   #4

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
that oil will smoke a lot and not be as good as bar oil but its been done. ive heard about using vegetable oil but havent tried it. Oh and beetles usually only harm unhealty trees but also trees in drought cant make enough sap to push them out. Its safe to bring home and burn.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019   #5

thornton, Colorado
Thanks newpc... I will just use regular chainsaw bar oil than, makse sense. I'm going to start with just a half of cord to a cord of wood, I will give it a go.
Old 03-02-2019   #6

Right after Stihl released their new biodegradable oil, about ten years ago, I ordered two cases of gallons. It was the first pallet of the product to hit the states.

Um yeah, it was jugs of German vegetable oil with Stihl stickers over the original label.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019   #7

thornton, Colorado
No kidding, does that work well on the chain bar, is it still the case today? Funny in the past I had a friend
that used vegetable oir on his chain saw bar for processing elk in hunting camp. In the past I would just collect wood(2◊4's, 2◊6's etc)from construction sites for fire wood and cut them down with the chainsaw.
Old 03-03-2019   #8
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Anyone have problems using beetle killed trees for fire wood, infecting other trees in their yards. Also my Stihl ms 192 tc chainsaw, 14 inch bar needs to be replaced, I have been told a 12 inch bar would cut faster. Also I picked up a case of Lucas sae 20W-50 marine engine oil, semi synthetic at a garage sale for 5$ (couldn't pass that deal up), should I use it as chainsaw bar oil or use it as an excuse to purchase a motor boat?
If the tree was recently hit by beetles, donít transport it to another location, unless itís been standing dead for a good spell (even then, collect and use local stock). Thatís how stuff like Emerald Ash Borer, and gypsy moths get brought to new and exotic locations and wreck havoc, itís also how native bugs like ips and mountain pine beetle can get brought to new places that start localized tree mortality and heart ache.

As for bar oil, spend the little bit of extra money to take care of your saw, and your saw will take care of you for a long time.
jonas_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019   #9

thornton, Colorado
Ya, even though it would probably be ok to use as fire wood and other people agree too. I'm not going to screw around with it. My friend has a cabin with a bunch of beatle killed pine trees and he was going to bring me a truck load of logs in a couple of weeks, I will tell him to scrap that idea, just to be safe. I will just use the regular chainsaw bar oil also, like always. Thanks for the information guy's I appreciate it. I use to carry this small chainsaw on early spring river trips(March, April, May) for emergencies( heavy wet spring snow ) like hypothermia, packed in a can like this with the bar removed and ducked taped around the lid. Weird things we carry. In the mean time I will go through the first-aid kit and see what condition it's in, been a few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-03 21.01.21.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	981.4 KB
ID:	33299  
Old 03-04-2019   #10

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
A good article on the beetle wood subject ;

http://www.uwyo.edu/barnbackyard/_fi...r-2008-web.pdf