Beef jerky recipes. - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Beef jerky recipes.

My beef(elk, deer, antelope)jerky recipe. Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, brown sugar, salt, soy sauce, garlic powder, pepper. Than soak meat for 3 to 4 hours, than dry in oven at 170 with convection fan on. Anybody have another recipe I can try?

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Eagle, Colorado
1 tbsp Coarse Salt (This is for curing your meat.)
1 tsp course black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp coriander powder

Shake the spices (not salt) together in a bag.

Work salt into meat and let sit for 10 minutes. Shake off.

Work spice mix into meat.

Put in oven for 4-6 hours at 170-180 depending on texture you like.
Nubie Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

thornton, Colorado
Nubie Jon..This is a dry rub and no liquid involved, I will definitely try this on a portion of the beef. I have never tried that, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
2 TBLS Worcestershire Sauce
2 TBLS Liquid Smoke ( Colgin ) ( Safeway has it )
2 TBLS Brown Sugar
2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Pepper
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Onion Powder
1 Tsp Paprika

Slice meat into long strips about 1/4" thick similar to Thick Bacon. Marinade overnight and dry in convection oven at 160 Deg. for 6 - 10 hours depending on how much meat and thickness of the cut. 1/4" took me 7 1/2 hours last time.

I put a pan lined in foil on the bottom of the oven ( Burner is concealed in mine ). Only 1 rack at the top position. Beef pieces are skewered at one end on a metal skewer. Skewer goes across the top of the rack sideways and each piece goes down through it's own rack space and hangs down from the skewer above the pan.

Always refrigerate once cooled otherwise only lasts 3 or 4 days before getting fuzzy. I freeze 3/4 of the batch with 1/4 in each of 3 gallon freezer bags and pull out some every so often and throw it in the fridge.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Nubie Jon..This is a dry rub and no liquid involved, I will definitely try this on a portion of the beef. I have never tried that, thank you.
I do all mine dry as I tend to do jerky, sticks and sausage in the same day.... just seems easier. But it seems I may need to go to the wet side!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

thornton, Colorado
Nubie Jon... my mom and dad used dry rub on the their beef, made up of salt and ground up dryed peppers. Dad was born in 1907 and my mom was born in 1915, they were raised on farms in Fort lupton Colorado, no refrigerators just cellars. They would butcher their own cattle and split a cow between 3 to 4 family's. They would slice the meat up, rub the salt and ground up peppers on the beef and hang it up on the clothesline to dry. The salt would cure the meat and the pepper would keep the fly's off. They would wash the salt and pepper off before using the meat in a dish. Now days we eat the jerky as a great snack, I personally do not like the store bought jerky, it's not the real thing. Must not of been to bad on mom and dad, they both lived till 94 years old.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Nubie Jon... my mom and dad used dry rub on the their beef, made up of salt and ground up dryed peppers. Dad was born in 1907 and my mom was born in 1915, they were raised on farms in Fort lupton Colorado, no refrigerators just cellars. They would butcher their own cattle and split a cow between 3 to 4 family's. They would slice the meat up, rub the salt and ground up peppers on the beef and hang it up on the clothesline to dry. The salt would cure the meat and the pepper would keep the fly's off. They would wash the salt and pepper off before using the meat in a dish. Now days we eat the jerky as a great snack, I personally do not like the store bought jerky, it's not the real thing. Must not of been to bad on mom and dad, they both lived till 94 years old.
Huh same for me ...... Growing up in New England and hunting with my G Pa. He taught me the "intricacies" of using the entire "animal". While we didn't hang it outside, we were still very much traditionalists. My wife's father still to this day comes over and gets bones and carcasses for stews and broths. I just started teaching my daughter to can veggies and make preserves from out garden. I don't know if it is trying to pass on tradition or hang on to the past (or both) but we have had a lot of fun doing it! You are right on the store bought jerky! We tend to not use roasts so we end up with a lot of jerky and grind and steaks.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
mines pretty similar to colorado daves but I add molases and honey (they give it a glazed look and help keep it pliable when dry, similar in volume to the worchester sauce.... I also add a bottle (12-16 oz ) of terriyaki sauce and supersaturate the brine with sugars (add like a cup or cup and a half of both white and brown sugar). Most of the sugar doesn't dissolve and is partially wasted, but it does make sure as much preservative as possible gets into the meat. I could probably figure out how much it actually takes to saturate the brine (probably closer to half a cup of each), but I'm not much of a measurer and it's just easier to add enough so that there is still sugars in the bottom of the brine bowl after mixing it. Lastly I leave the meat soaking for at least 24 hours, sometimes 4. With all this said, I'm usually using goose breast (it's how I get rid of the flying liver) so I am trying to mask the native taste of the meat as well.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

thornton, Colorado
Elkhaven and ColoradoDave... I agree, I use my same ingredients on beef, elk, deer and antelope, the elk and beef taste the same, but deer and antelope jerky taste much stronger. I bet your recipes would be tastier than mine with the deer and antelope, also along with beef or elk, for a change.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

thornton, Colorado
Sharing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubie Jon View Post
Huh same for me ...... Growing up in New England and hunting with my G Pa. He taught me the "intricacies" of using the entire "animal". While we didn't hang it outside, we were still very much traditionalists. My wife's father still to this day comes over and gets bones and carcasses for stews and broths. I just started teaching my daughter to can veggies and make preserves from out garden. I don't know if it is trying to pass on tradition or hang on to the past (or both) but we have had a lot of fun doing it! You are right on the store bought jerky! We tend to not use roasts so we end up with a lot of jerky and grind and steaks.
I like to share the tradition with my daughter's also, that my parents showed me. In return they have taught me alot also. When they were young we would go rafting, winter camping, climbing, skiing, flying, hunting, camping and allowed them start camp fires, cook, row, etc. They would take me to do volunteer work, how to use computers, internet, etc. They do get lazy too, even though they know how to make jerky, it's always dad can you make the jerky and do this and do that. Not so much now day's thought. In fact one of daughter's turned me onto Mountain Buzz, love reading about all the rafting trips, ideas and the skill in designing and building their own boats and equipment. I find all this very interesting. Plus I even to get to put my 2 cents in. I love to bring humor into MB also. Plus acquiring these skills are good to know if the power goes out.

« The left run club | - »