Beef jerky recipes. - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-03-2019   #31

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I totally agree, when you go after big game you buy the whole animal, you don't get to pick and choose just the delicious cuts like at the supermarket. Buck, Buck, Moose is a book I wish I had in my hunting years to create some tasty dishes. My style was, if I could not identify it, it went into the grinder. I usually used the back strap's, tender loins, rumps and shoulder's, the traditional ways. Using Coca-Cola to tenderize came about in my later years, still nothing like a big hammer to make those tougher parts of your game into tender morsels, just don't hit your thumb.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019   #32
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Yep, though I have got some hell that I'm not officially "braising" . I dust in flour, brown well on all sides then crock. I seem to have better luck with the crock than braising in the oven. Ive tried to get people to who have said it isn't "braising" in the crock like in a dutch in the oven but haven't heard a good reason. It seems to turn out better for me so i guess thats what matters.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019   #33

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Yep, though I have got some hell that I'm not officially "braising" . I dust in flour, brown well on all sides then crock. I seem to have better luck with the crock than braising in the oven. Ive tried to get people to who have said it isn't "braising" in the crock like in a dutch in the oven but haven't heard a good reason. It seems to turn out better for me so i guess thats what matters.
A big part of tasty braising is browning on all sides. You can't skip that step of caramelizing the meat (google "Maillard effect"). It adds immensely to the flavor.

I don't have as good of luck in the crock pot..but I tend to do the dutch oven thing in the oven at 190-210F.

I think part of my crock pot issue is that I don't like to add liquid at the start, and that's a no-no for crock pots. It works in the DO at lower temps. But whatever works for you...I'm not going to judge you for your methods, your results are what matters.
My wifey loves the insta pot and I'm impressed with her results.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019   #34

Eagle, Colorado
So just got to work and what do you know...... my copy of Buck, Buck, Moose was sitting on my desk! Between that and catching up on the threat there is very little getting done on the work front! TGIF!

Quote:
A big part of tasty braising is browning on all sides. You can't skip that step of caramelizing the meat (google "Maillard effect"). It adds immensely to the flavor.
I watch a lot of Alton Brown "Good Eats" and now "Good Eats Reloaded" He speaks a lot about the "Maillard effect" in cooking, not just in braising. I like his style because it is the "science of cooking" rather than just cooking.

Just did my first "hike" though the hunting grounds..... not real encouraging yet with the temps we've been having but I was only at about 10000 ft.
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019   #35
Sponsoring Vendors

Congratulations. It will change your program. I used to throw a bunch of the good sized odds and ends chunks in the grind pile. Now I put them together in packages that I label crock. Most of it ends up in tacos using the barbacoa recipe on page 126. Probably make that more than anything else. Its awesome.
Old 10-05-2019   #36

thornton, Colorado
Hunting for wild game from beginning to end is very challenging and rewarding to us, to prepare wild game from the field to the dinner table. Jerky, Pemmican, crock pot, baking, barbecue, etc. Setting up hunting camp, sighting in your rifles, cooking, stocking your game, field dressing, transporting game, processing it was all very enjoyable to me, plus it tastes great. It's all like a great river trip, just in another way.
Old 10-10-2019   #37

Eagle, Colorado
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Te...bsfRwXQOVe1Fhg

Two days until first rifle!!
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019   #38
Sponsoring Vendors

Good luck man!! Im hoping you get to put that book to good use!! Take a couple extra gallon ziplocs with ya. If you are in a position to collect at least some of the caul fat you won't be disappointed. I at least collect the big rectangle of it right at the opening before I yank the guts out. Its easy to strip off. If you can get more, great. A drape of it over any roast is good and rolling meatballs in it like the ones on page 241 are wonderful.
Old 10-17-2019   #39

thornton, Colorado
Nubie Jon, good luck on your hunt. Well I just finished eating the last batch of home made jerky, I did something different, I used concentrated onion juice. A little bit goes a long way , trust me. A long story short, I was crying, dogs were crying while we watched the Broncos game and eating the onion spiced
beef jerky. Next time I will just use my normal amount of onion power. Plus the juice gave the meat a weard after taste. Not my best batch
Old 10-19-2019   #40

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I didn't have time to go through the thread.

The best jerky is made in a smoker I think. First brine in layers sprinkled with a little salt and brown sugar. A compressing disk atop each layer and a final weight on top. I do this in a bucket and circular lexan disks to fit. Overnight this process.

When I was young and poor I'd use a smoker made of an old refrigerator, a cast iron skillet and a hot plate. I preferred wood chips of apple or hickory. I suggest not using pine or juniper.

The rest of the process is obvious. Smoke until you are pleased.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote