Beef jerky recipes. - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-01-2019   #21

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Salmon Pemmican...

ColoradoDave... I looked up Salmon Pemmican on the internet like you suggested, thank you, turns out to be a great suggestion.
Going to try it this week. Pacific Ocean Market sells dryed Salmon, dryed blueberries, many stores handle's them, rendered beef fat(Fatworks Pure Tallow) Walmart carries it, teaspoon of salt and black pepper. Mash dryed Salmon and blueberries, than mix together, add rendered beef fat, salt and pepper...your done. Roll in saran wrap, in small rolls, keep for years, without refrigerating. Plus you can use it in a bunch of different recipes in a variety of dishes.....this is the interesting part, the rendered fat from "Fatwords Pure Tallow" is good for your health, it is loaded with vitamins A,D,E,K. Antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids. It also makes great skin lotion(tightens and rejuvenating your skin), soap and candles. I'm going to start using at home and camp cooking on my griddles. I just read up on it while looking for rendered beef fat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pure_tallow_front_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	39655  

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019   #22

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Good info and I'm just going to happen to be in Broomfield in 2 weekends.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019   #23

thornton, Colorado
Hit me up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
Good info and I'm just going to happen to be in Broomfield in 2 weekends.
PM me on MB, when your in Broomfield and going to Pacific Ocean Market, there's a restaurant called Emperor Palace, great Chinese grub next door, if you have time we can grab some lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019   #24

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Nubie Jon...Watch those girls they grow up fast, I have three, all have different personalities, I love all three.
Raymo indeed they do..... mine is 10 going on 20 and I feel the need to cherish every moment I get with her as soon they will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Late season elk/deer( Nov. 2-10th) nice. Hope you get some heavy snow before your hunt, to drive those bad boys down from the high country, to improve your chances of getting some meat on the table. Here's a hunting story you might enjoy. A friend and I were tracking through the back country for about 4 hours, when we ran into another friend(dave) in our party that was field dressing a nice 5 point elk. So we pitch in and started helping him, we got the elk all dressed out. We told Dave we will head back and get the horse's, be back in a couple hours. He said wait a second, when he shot that elk, he was totally lost and has no fucking idea where he's at. He was walking up to the top of the mountain to get his bearings when he came across this nice elk. Than we show up. We took the map out to get him straighten out, he had walk two valleys further than he thought. We all had a good laugh, especially around camp that night with all the others in our party. Good times.
I love hunting third season up in the Flat Tops (Area 25, 26) as the weather and terrain can change drastically up there. We ended up leaving a buddies camper up there last year but that is a story for another time. Similar story: I shot a nice doe two years ago on a friends ranch. My GPS's batteries died and so I started hiking out to get the ATV. I decided to be smart and I let a tail of TP at two different points in order to set up a bearing on my kill. When I finally got back up with the ATV would you believe that it took me 1.5 hours to find it..... in the 600 acres of similar looking land..... Just goes to show you how much we (and by we I mean me) rely on electronics these days! Now I carry redundancy (map and compass!). Hopefully this year they will come down a bit.... Last year my nephew's came at 11,500.
Nubie Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019   #25

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Nubie, get that book before your hunt. Then you (and the family) can pick out a bunch of stuff you want to try and then butcher accordingly. It always gets me fired up for the hunt and makes it easier to cut and package when it comes to processing. I even write the recipe i want to use it for on some of the packages when I wrap and label them.
Zbaird thanks for the tip! Mine and three others for friends coming Thursday from Amazon.... can't wait to look for it. I was also reading somewhere on the interweb that the venison/elk flat iron steak is coming back..... anyone use this cut at all, I think I will try it.
Old 10-02-2019   #26
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I always cut my flatirons on elk. I package the two small ones together and the two large. I cut them this year on the deer I got as he was pretty big. Its a good cut. You know where there are right?
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019   #27

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
You know where there are right?
Front shoulder blades......
Old 10-02-2019   #28

thornton, Colorado
Nubie Jon... whenever I deal with a cut of meat like flat iron, leg shank, etc. that are on the tougher side, I marinate it in Coca-Cola for about 24 hours and let the acid tenderize the meat, works great or you can pound it with a hammer to break up the muscle. Than cook it anyway you want, barbecue, roast, teriyaki, Philly-Cheese steak, etc. Good luck on your hunting trip, I use to get so excited it was hard for me to sleep for a week or two.
Old 10-03-2019   #29
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Yep. For those not in the know. ( it does seem to be the trendy hipster cut of meat these days) Wide side of the scapula. Big band of connective tissue runs through the middle. Absolutely has to be "fileted" into two steaks if you are going to grill/fry it. Otherwise the band curls and you are hosed.

On another note, made Osso Bucco last night (more like yesterday morning). Its such satiny, lovely, deliciousness. Do not grind your shanks!! You'll be fired up when you get into Buck Buck Moose. Buzz me if you're gonna make it, I have some tips I've learned after a couple fails using the recipe in the book.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019   #30

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
On another note, made Osso Bucco last night (more like yesterday morning). Its such satiny, lovely, deliciousness. Do not grind your shanks!! You'll be fired up when you get into Buck Buck Moose. Buzz me if you're gonna make it, I have some tips I've learned after a couple fails using the recipe in the book.
Braising?

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/ar...7/braising.htm
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote