Arlen Specter: Democrat - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2009   #1
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Arlen Specter: Democrat

I've got two words for the GOP: Fillibuster Proof!
Quote:
Senator Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania said on Tuesday he would switch to the Democratic party, potentially presenting Democrats with a possible 60th vote and the power to break Senate filibusters as they try to advance the Obama administration’s new agenda.

“Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats, I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans.”

Seven minutes later, Mr. Obama reached Mr. Specter by telephone. In a brief conversation, the president said: “You have my full support,” according to the official who heard the phone call. The president added that we are, “thrilled to have you.”

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My prayers, answered.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Gee, he doesn't want to be part of the party calling for succession?

Weirdo.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009   #4

Specter

Great! Just what every democracy needs--complete and utter one party control!
As for Specter--he's a fu*king turncoat puke! At least he has the balls to run as Dem in the next election--rather than switching now. I do wish he had though just decided to become one rather than run as one--he'd surely lose. As it stands right now, I think he'll lose.
rafterman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #5

Specter Contd'

Wow! Looks like he IS CHANGING his affiliation right in his term! What more do you need to know he's simply a f*cking political hack!!!!

What more you ask? Well how about this?
Specter condemned Jim Jeffords' party switch in 2001 - Los Angeles Times

Apparently the puke chastized another guy who did the same thing before!

Libs ought to shun this guy for the Benedict Arnold he is.

At least he says he wont be that automatic "60th" vote so many libs are hoping for!
rafterman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
If you think THIS bothers you, rafterman2007, wait til Senator Al Franken casts the 60th vote for a filibuster-proof majority. That'll make your head spin completely off.

With respect to your fixation on the derogatory "Libs" in every sentence: I suppose that makes Specter an "ex-con"?
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You know rafterman, we won big this last election cycle because you conservatives fucked up real real bad. If your cabal hadn't acted like complete ignorant douchebags maybe you'd be getting more of what you want politically right now. In the words of John Stewart, "losing is suppossed to taste like a shit taco." Stop complaining. The enactment of your failed and antiquated political ideology brought our country into these dark dark times. As far as I'm concerned that makes your input on how to solve our country's current problems is pretty meaningless, especially since it is thoroughly imbued with a disgusting amount of verbalized self pitty. It is essentially the same as allowing the murderer to dictate how the trial process should go. And don't tell me "Don't blame us in 15 years" because we said "Don't blame us in 8 years," 8 years ago. Go meditate on your sins and pray with all your might that with our fillibuster proof majority we don't start settling scores.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Libs ought to shun this guy for the Benedict Arnold he is
In that case, what do you have to say about Strom Thurmond, Ben Nighthorse Campbell, and Richard Shelby?

I don't think anyone should take the prospect of a monolitholic Democratic party too seriously yet though. As Will Rogers said, "I don't belong to an organized political party... I'm a Democrat."

Herding Dems is typically a lot tougher than Repubs when it comes to discipline.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #9

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
In that case, what do you have to say about Strom Thurmond, Ben Nighthorse Campbell, and Richard Shelby?
And Ronald Reagan.
TimberTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #10

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I say good riddance Sen. Spector... the Democrat majority will be short lived anyway. He is exactly the kind of career A hole no party needs. Congratulations Demo, I hope you get what you prayed for.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote