any chromebook users out there? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-26-2014   #1
gh

pnw, Colorado
any chromebook users out there?

Looking for opinions about the platform and laptops.

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014   #2
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Love my Chromebook! The only problem I have is that I regularly use 3 programs that will not work under Chrome and I must get into IE to use them. For those I have to go to my laptop or desktop. If anyone knows a way to get IE on my Chrome, please let me know! The few workarounds I have tried have been unsuccessful.
Old 06-26-2014   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Yep, this will be a dedicated chrome web surfer.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014   #4

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Not yet, I'd give chrome book anther year or two before I'd consider it a legit product. My gut feeling is that google is do something major with the product soon.

PS: I'm an IT guy who has seen a ton of these.
Old 06-30-2014   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
I have had a samsung chromebook for about 6 months. I bought this as an internet surfer, and have really liked it. If that is what you are looking for, then I think the convenience and cost of the chromebook are tough to beat.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that only software you can install are apps from the google webstore. You cannot install any independent 3rd party software such as itunes. Its essentially and android smartphone in laptop form. The upside of this limitation is that the computer if very secure, and less susceptible to virus, malware or other threats while surfer the web. Downside is that if its your only laptop you may not be able to use some needed software.
bdf48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
I just want it to run chrome. Does it boot up quick? How long to load a youtube video? Basically does it perform well.
Old 07-01-2014   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Mine boots up in a few seconds, so it is very nice if you want to open up your computer to check a few quick things. Streaming video seems to perform just as well as on a regular laptop.
bdf48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #8

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
I just want it to run chrome. Does it boot up quick? How long to load a youtube video? Basically does it perform well.
Yes! if all you'll ever do is watch youtube then it will be good to go.
Old 07-01-2014   #9

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I have two. One for me and one for the wife. They work great. Very fast boot up and shut down. Long battery life and have taken some serious falls.
A couple of problems are printing in the "cloud" sucks. Not able to Skype either. Gmail hangouts work fine if you tell you skype friends to get a gmail account to "hangout"
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Yes! if all you'll ever do is watch youtube then it will be good to go.
Well it wont be all I use it for. I just think playing videos will be the most resource intensive thing i will do.