Any buzzards ride Downhill? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2009   #1
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Any buzzards ride Downhill?

Or does everyone just sit on here when the waters kicked tryin to out-douche each other?

Its not full on DH season for me yet but my bikes in the shop gettin a tune and I cant wait to head up there. Anyone ride Sol Vista,WP, or StoneZone?

Here's a nice little vid from SV. And no baggin on the King of Pop...the man did Thriller...Thriller.

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Excellent footage.
Proslackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Only when I am not going uphill! Nice vid, but I view downhilling like sport climbing, just not on the same par as trad or cross country. I have yet to see a downhiller on the crest and doubt I ever will, or I just have not noticed them flogging on the uphills. I bomb down as much as I can on my cross country racer, but 3-4 inches of travel does me just fine. I like how my bike is a light 26-7 lbs as opposed to the obeast weights most downhillers seem to be. I will ride more when the water dies down, but for now, I need to get wet!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009   #4
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Didnt see that joke comin

"not on the same par as trad or cross country"??

Your cross country racer? Nough said.

Dude, about every downhiller i've ever seen is a much better all around rider than any strictly xcountry weeny(not that your a weeny..but you could be, I use it collectively). You obviously havent ridden much downhill if you dont recognize the skills it takes...as not up to par. And yes I'm talkin downhill, not riding your local trail down hill.

I dont wanna waste time on that argument here though.

I ride a road bike, I ride a cross-country bike and I ride a downhill bike. They're all in the same ballgame, but totally different positions.
Old 07-12-2009   #5
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
that's awesome... i think i'll go hit keystone tomorrow
Old 07-12-2009   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I am sorry Flow for striking a nerve! But most downhillers come across as weenies in their own way. I am not saying it doesn't take a lot of skill and strength to bomb crazy shit in the woods, it is just they all pull their skirts into a wad as soon as they have to ride up anything! I don't know how many downhillers I have seen that have balked at doing some trail because it was not lift served. Downhilling is cool in it's own way, I just enjoy the climb as much as the downhill too and I do not like to be limited by lift served terrain. That video of guys bombing the ski hill is just that, guys bombing the ski hill, cool in a nascar type of way! I would like to see some vid of some killer renagade trail in the woods with huge hucks, but I know that is not PC. The answer is multiple bikes, but at the price for a good high end bike nowadays, that is not too prevalent.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #7

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Holy shit I never knew solvista had a good down hill. I ride all the time at wp. worked at the bike shop there for 4 years. Going to race in cranx works again this year
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #8

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Downhill

My son is a downhiller racer (not a boater yet) boarding on moving up to the junior expert division. He races around the state on the Mountain States Cup circuit. Very cool race series for DH and XC from beginners to pro level racers.

Both disiplines require skill and fitness. However, DH racing at his level is like class V boaters in my book, you better bring your A game or you going to get a serious beat down.

He also teaches XC for SIMBA out of Boulder a great summer kid's camp and XC team mentoring program for kids learning how to XC. They also expose the kid's to some DH. He enjoys teaching XC and the workout, but the adreline and real skill is in ripping downhill, and hitting the jumps.

If you have a kid interested in mountain biking and you live in or near Boulder, I would highly recommend SIMBA. I can not say enough about the biking and life skills they teach young kids.

This weekend is the DH Nationals at Sol Vista. All the top racers will be there as this is also a World Cup Qualifer. The pros will be hitting 3 jumps in row, two at 40' each and last one, they will be going 40 to 60+' from what I have heard. If your interested, check it out.
Old 07-13-2009   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm sorry, but that video was not "class V" mountain biking. If you havn't been there, you must check out Silverton's downhill scene.
Lift-assisted downhill is great fun, but I would rather downhill a couple of local sections of singletrack than ride all that man-made junk. We have an unmarked secret downhill in the Salida area that allows you to get 3500 ft of downhill, with lots of solid rock. There are places where you encounter 5' ledge drops, one after another, freestyle downhill...across the valley from the crest...
I guess I just like to take the routes less traveled...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #10

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I would agree that the video is not class V DH. I was saying in general the sport is pretty bad ass and that you better know what your doing, falls hurt and equipment is expensive.

Sounds like you have some sweet spots. I know my kid is always looking for new trails to hike up and ride versus lift service, but high speed DH racing is also a thrill in it's own way.